Discover not working? Please check your connectivity

Tumbleweed/KDE installation. Yes, I never noticed until now that Discover is not working on my machine. Under features is the short text “Please check your connectivity”. I have no problem with connectivity and am on the internet through ethernet and wireless, can browse the internet, etc… So there is nothing wrong. I tried on the command line:

plasma-discover
invalid kns backend! "/etc/xdg/ksysguard.knsrc" because: "Config group not found! Check your KNS3 installation."
invalid kns backend! "/etc/xdg/servicemenu.knsrc" because: "Config group not found! Check your KNS3 installation."
org.kde.plasma.libdiscover: Couldn't find a category for  "fwupd-backend"
uli@linux-4skc:~> zypper se kns
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
No matching items found.

I cannot find any place where a connection be set, neither in a menu nor a config file. No entry in the man pages either. What is going on here?
Cheers
Uli

When I start from the menu, it seems to work. I didn’t try to actually install anything, but it does show a bunch of applications under “Featured” with an “Install” button.

I closed that, and tried “plasma-discover” at the command line. Again, the GUI started up as expected. I saw the same output that you mention on the terminal (and a bunch more).

I presume that it uses “packagekitd” to connect to the repos. Is PackageKit installed? Are there any log messages from “packagekitd” that hint at a problem?

Thank you, nrickert, that is the reason. I don’t have packagekit installed since it always at the start checked for updates. As this is my Tumbleweed installation I update approx once a week and then I always get the message that packagekit is blocking zypper and do I want packagekit to quit and packagekit is still running do I still want it to quit…etc. So since I hardly ever use Discover but regularly had problems with packagekit I think I am better of this way.

I leave packagekit installed. But I turn off the update applet (in System Tray Settings). So it never blocks zypper.

Hmm, I occasionally login to Gnome, and I have not found a way to turn off the update applet there. But if you are only using KDE, then it is easy to turn off.

Discover seems okay, but I would normally use Yast for what it does.