Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floppy Disk in LEAP 15

Default Floppy Disk in LEAP 15

How do I edit the fstab file in LEAP 15 to enable a 1.44mb floppy?

I've tried several things to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Floppy Disk in LEAP 15

It has been quite a while since I last owned a computer that could read floppy disks.

I think they show up as device "/dev/fd0". And you need somewhere to mount them. So maybe
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /dev/floppy
    And then add a line to "/etc/fstab"
    Code:
    /dev/fd0   /floppy     vfat  noauto,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022    0  0
    That "noauto" says to not automatically mount. You can change that as you wish.

In all honesty, you would probably be better off without an "fstab" entry. The system should then mount the floppy when it is inserted (depending on desktop configuration). With KDE, the device notifier should show up and allow you to click to mount.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.1.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It has been quite a while since I last owned a computer that could read floppy disks.
    Couldn't resist ... and how long since one like this: http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/b85a6865
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190520) KDE Plasma 5
    Leap 15.0 KDE Plasma 5
    [Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected]

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post

I think they show up as device "/dev/fd0". And you need somewhere to mount them. So maybe
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /dev/floppy
    And then add a line to "/etc/fstab"
    Code:
    /dev/fd0   /floppy     vfat  noauto,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022    0  0
    That "noauto" says to not automatically mount. You can change that as you wish.

In all honesty, you would probably be better off without an "fstab" entry. The system should then mount the floppy when it is inserted (depending on desktop configuration). With KDE, the device notifier should show up and allow you to click to mount.
    I think the mkdir /dev/floppy is a mistake. First because you should not create things yourself in /dev (it is removed on shutdown and freshly created by udevd on boot), but also because in the fstab entry you use /floppy and not /dev/floppy.

Also, I when mounting by an fstab entry, the owner:group that are mimicked fot this non-Linux file system is root:root. Thus depending on what access is needed, the fmask and dmask must be adapted.
    When the access should be for a particular user, then the mounting through desktop is to be preferred as @nrickert alread mentioned because then owner:group are set to those for the user running the desktop.

And yes, not many will be able to test this anymore
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I think the mkdir /dev/floppy is a mistake.
    You are right. That was supposed to be "/floppy". I should reread my posts more carefully before clicking "Submit Reply".

Thanks for the correction.
    testing Leap 15.1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    Couldn't resist ... and how long since one like this: http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/b85a6865
    Yes, that was a very long time ago. Probably somewhere around 1988 that I junked a computer like that. It was 2007 that I junked my last computer for 3.5 inch floppies.
    testing Leap 15.1.

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 12:26:03 +0000, nrickert wrote:

> tannington;2900171 Wrote:
    >> Couldn't resist ... and how long since one like this:
    >> http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/b85a6865

>
    > Yes, that was a very long time ago. Probably somewhere around 1988 that
    > I junked a computer like that. It was 2007 that I junked my last
    > computer for 3.5 inch floppies.

Several years back, I bought a USB adapter that handles all three floppy
    sizes as well as MFM and RLE hard drives. It's amazing how often I use
    it supporting several churches and offices.

Quote Originally Posted by whonea View Post
    USB adapter that handles all three floppy sizes as well as MFM and RLE hard drives
    If I had known such a tool existed 10-15 years ago I would have bought one. Now I'm not so sure. Who made it?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

I got it up ( the floppy drive that is...)

Yes, it is really, really, REALLY, a legacy device but I had to get some data off some floppies from a legacy project- how appropriate.
    I'm surprised that the floppy's were even still readable.

I pretty much remembered how to set up a floppy in fstab but the last time I did any fstab editing I don't remember there being a long UUID: tag with a bunch of numbers
    after it and before the actual device definition so I was a bit hinky with messing around with it.
    It seems to me, correct me if I'm wrong- but didn't YAST at one time have a fstab editor?

Thanks all for the assistance

Yes,often the UUID is used to define the device, but as the UUID only point (through a symlink) to the "real" /dev/sd.., you can still use what you were used to.

And YaST has a partitioner. And the word "partitioner" is in this case (as in many other cases where people use this word rather unprecise), not only a real partitioner, but it also manages file systems and fstab entries when you ask it to do so. But that fstab editing is IMHO bound to the others functions and I doubt that it will be very helpfull in a case like yours.

In any case, congratulations that you got it working!
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast