Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System can't start. Why this and upcoming years WON'T be again year(s) of Linux

Default System can't start. Why this and upcoming years WON'T be again year(s) of Linux

I tried different distros of Linux in last years. Every try finished with system not starting, DE constantly crashing.
    This time I installed openSUSE and I was like WOW, everything works! I was impressed. Till 2 days ago I turned off computer and I try to boot it today and.. Linux classic!

Give root password for maintenance (or press Control-D to continue):
    Giving password leaves me with root console, pressing control-D gives me
    Cannot read /dev/tty1
    Thanks a lot. Don't say that something is useful if simply rebooting computer can crash it. I changed nothing in system from last boot.
    Really expecting that system will just start is too much? Am I crazy to expect that? I go back to Windows again and I still can't get- why people use that **** on servers? It's not even little bit reliable.. Every action is risk of failure.

PS. Just saying how unreliable **** is that system, I am not expecting help, because I will not use something what breaks after simply reboot (;

Blog Entries

Default Re: System can't start. Why this and upcoming years WON'T be again year(s) of Linux

Hi,

I can understand your annoyance. But, the message about maintenance always is about filesystems, at least one of them was not properly shutdown/unmounted. Did the shutdown go normally, or did it hang and only power off after holding the power button? The message also always contains a pointer to one or more filesystems the system cannot mount. Are we talking about a dual boot with Windows or some other OS?
    FWIW your assumption that linux is not reliable for servers: ~98% of internet servers are linux these days, incl. most of the servers your ISP uses.

Like said, I feel sorry for your annoyance, but as long as we cannot see some real output, it's hard to tell what happened and what caused the boot failure.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Default Re: System can't start. Why this and upcoming years WON'T be again year(s) of Linux

Quote Originally Posted by sroka22 View Post
    Till 2 days ago I turned off computer and I try to boot it today and.. Linux classic!
    Did you turn off while it was still running? Or did you properly shutdown?
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

No. I just turned it off (by clicking option in menu). Started it again after two days. I know that Linux is used in lot of servers (but definately not 98%) but I start to get why big corporations use Windows Server for important data.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Like said, I feel sorry for your annoyance, but as long as we cannot see some real output, it's hard to tell what happened and what caused the boot failure.
    btw I'll try Linux just to get to know how manage apache server under Linux, because in my future work i'll need to (in my own projects I think I'll use Windows Server). Wanted to get "friends" with Linux also as desktop system but no, I don't want to use it. I want reliable system, not system I can't be even sure if it'll boot properly.
    Seems like "Linux is free only if your time has no value" is still actual.

Blog Entries

btw I'll try Linux just to get to know how manage apache server under Linux, because in my future work i'll need to (in my own projects I think I'll use Windows Server). Wanted to get "friends" with Linux also as desktop system but no, I don't want to use it. I want reliable system, not system I can't be even sure if it'll boot properly.
    Seems like "Linux is free only if your time has no value" is still actual.
    That's not true for the vast majority of Linux users, but when problems do arise some time and effort may be required to diagnose and resolve (as with any OS). The learning curve can be steep, but that's why forums like this exist where experienced users can assist others looking for help.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

I'm aware that I need to learn how to use new system. But if system crash after turning it off then sorry, I don't want that thing close to my production pc. Imagine that I need to do something important. I press power and see that? That's normal only for Linux users. Had situation like that with EVERY distro I have tried. Mostly it took little bit more time and some update for problem like that to occur but still- always something gone wrong. Always.
    How much time per month you spend to configure and fixing problems with your system?
    I will tell you how much I spent on Windows- about 10-15 minutes after installation. The end, nothing more.
    I could live with minor problems (but they are still annoying- because they almost never occur on Windows) but with system not starting just like that? No, that's definately not acceptable. That system should be called beta version, not stable.

Blog Entries

I get that, but you need to investigate the underlying cause - it's not normal to have that instability. We can move this thread to soapbox if you're not wanting support technically.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Default Re: System can't start. Why this and upcoming years WON'T be againyear(s) of Linux

On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 19:26:03 +0000, sroka22 wrote:

> No. I just turned it off (by clicking option in menu). Started it again
    > after two days. I know that Linux is used in lot of servers (but
    > definately not 98%) but I start to get why big corporations use Windows
    > Server for important data.

Actually, I see a lot of businesses that use Linux for mission-critical
    applications and data.

The problem you are having is not typical - and the community here is
    more than willing to help determine what the issue you are having is, if
    you'll let us. I've been running various SUSE linux distributions for 16
    years, and prior to that I used RedHat. I've used a wide variety of
    laptop, desktop, and server equipment, and have not seen the issue you're
    seeing.

That doesn't mean it can't happen. I've seen Windows servers crash out
    and be unrecoverable after a seemingly normal shutdown. The answer isn't
    to throw your hands up in the air and say "well, that was fun, back to
    whatever I was using before" - but to diagnose and determine what the
    problem is so it can be resolved and not happen again.

Give us the chance to help you.

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I changed nothing in system from last boot.
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Seriously, though, the reason could be as simple as an USB drive, or a CD or DVD still inserted in an optical drive; or a broken dracut/initrd file, maybe due to some hardware fault. It happened to all of us. Only if you’re providing us with more info we then may be able to help. Aren’t you curious about the cause of the problem? I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast