Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System can't start. Why this and upcoming years WON'T be again year(s) of Linux

Question Re: System can't start. Why this and upcoming years WON'T be again year(s) of Linux

Quote Originally Posted by sroka22 View Post
    This time I installed openSUSE and I was like WOW, everything works!
    Please can you give us at least the following information:
    • Hardware: Intel/AMD/Raspberry Pi?
    • Installed openSUSE to a disk (HDD or SSD) or, something else?
    • New hardware or, used (reliable over the last few months – burnt in – no DOA issues) hardware or, used old hardware with no documentation indicating possible ageing issues?
    • Power surges and/or lightning strikes?
    • Do the hardware checks included with the installation DVD indicate any issues with your hardware platform?

Default Re: System can't start. Why this and upcoming years WON'T be again year(s) of Linux

Such a beautiful and useless rant:

"I am not expecting help"

...and so many high-level posters come to offer help.

Everybody who has ever installed a modern linux distribution to any kind of old or not-totally new hardware knows that these systems run usually like a charm without much tweaking. We are not in the 1990's (I tried my first opensuse in the 2000, was a nightmare for a noob).

So this would REALLY be a thread to be closed. Not the other one that got closed... ;-)

SCNR....
    Kind regards

raspu

Default Re: System can't start. Why this and upcoming years WON'T be again year(s) of Linux

System started when I plugged pendrive back to computer (it was FAT32 pendrive with mp3 only). After that works again. Thats freaking strange and I will give that system one more try but because of situations like that I can't afford to erase Windows from my pc.

Blog Entries

System started when I plugged pendrive back to computer (it was FAT32 pendrive with mp3 only). After that works again. Thats freaking strange and I will give that system one more try but because of situations like that I can't afford to erase Windows from my pc.
    Yes, good planning is needed when installing/migrating/upgrading. Please start a new thread with definitive title if/when you are seeking technical support for an openSUSE issue.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

More likely than not the USB-stick was present while installing and has been added to the drives to be mounted while booting.

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/fstab
    will let you erase the USB-stick. But be careful. Otherwise your system might not boot anymore... :-D
    Kind regards

raspu

i think it was not. After it booted one time with stick it has no problem with booting now. Should not system in 2019 ignore errors like that (if they even occur) and user should not even know about that. I mean this pendrive was not neccessary for system to work, so why system don't want to start without it? It was obviously not mounted as / of even /home..
    Someone wrote that everything works as charm? Good joke, I run system on older PC - Dell Optiplex 3020 and I already have another technical problem. Connecting another monitor ****s whole user experience.

(...) I mean this pendrive was not neccessary for system to work, so why system don't want to start without it? (...)
    Obviously it was, otherwise it would have booted without problems.
    Desktop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 16Gb RAM, 120GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD
    Laptop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - Thinkpad T440 - Intel i5-4210U, 12Gb RAM, 250GB Samsung EVO 750 SSD

Blog Entries

...I run system on older PC - Dell Optiplex 3020 and I already have another technical problem. Connecting another monitor ****s whole user experience.
    As already suggested, start a new thread if you would like technical support for an issue from fellow users. I'm moving this current thread to soapbox (as it was not a request for help).
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 12-Apr-2019 at 13:53.

Blog Entries

Moved from the Install/Boot/Login sub-forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12