[Konsole] Can no more be run by netbeans 8.2 :{

Greetings !!

Since the last dbus updates and Konsole updates (I think java updates may have also broken tings) there is no more ways to let Netbeans run a console application using an “external terminal” just as konsole (listed in the drop box).
The new Netbeans versions 9 and 10 can not feature the c/c++ plugin needed for my personnal developpments in school.

I’m very very upset :{

Eclipse, Code::Blocks and all the other IDE won’t fit with Netbeans features and I do not talk about habits or handling, Netbeans is FAR better than all those ridiculous stuffs so-called IDE.

On Fri, 05 Apr 2019 00:06:03 +0000, soundlord wrote:

> Greetings !!
>
> Since the last dbus updates and Konsole updates (I think java updates
> may have also broken tings) there is no more ways to let Netbeans run a
> console application using an “external terminal” just as konsole (listed
> in the drop box).
> The new Netbeans versions 9 and 10 can not feature the c/c++ plugin
> needed for my personnal developpments in school.
>
> I’m very very upset :{
>
> Eclipse, Code::Blocks and all the other IDE won’t fit with Netbeans
> features and I do not talk about habits or handling, Netbeans is FAR
> better than all those ridiculous stuffs so-called IDE.

Welcome!

The thing that will help you the most here is not to describe how upset
you are or what the results are, but rather what the symptoms are - what
do you see on the screen, what error messages are produced (try launching
from a terminal, for example) - the more actual information you can post
about the problem you’re having, the easier it’s going to be for someone
to help you.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

They try to improve:

"Congratulations to the Apache NetBeans team. 9.0 is a  real accomplishment. I was also leverage other plugin sites and was able  to load C/C++, Python and different look and feels without any issues.                     "

Yes, I know saying how much I’m upset will not solve anything. As I’m frustrated (deeply) I have no other way to do so.

I nethertheless dug the environnement netbeans, konsole, dbus, to point what is supposed to be wrong.

I did an application expected to drive the Konsole application with the dbus library in C programming.
This application did not work anymore just because dbus, now, identifies the different “Konsole sessions” by postfixing “-konsoleid” that wasn’t the case before.
I suppose Netbeans used dbus to open Konsole as a “external terminal” with the old dbus fashion (with no postfix).

I have a null pointer exception when the method is called (looking at the trace)

java.lang.NullPointerException
 **   at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.debugger.common2.debugger.io.DebuggerExternalTerminal.<init>(DebuggerExternalTerminal.java:93)
    at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.debugger.common2.debugger.io.ExternalTerminalPack.start(ExternalTerminalPack.java:64)**
    at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.debugger.gdb2.Gdb$Factory.startAsync(Gdb.java:325)
    at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.debugger.gdb2.Gdb$Factory.access$1400(Gdb.java:171)
    at org.netbeans.modules.cnd.debugger.gdb2.Gdb$Factory$1$1.run(Gdb.java:297)
    at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:1443)
    at org.netbeans.modules.openide.util.GlobalLookup.execute(GlobalLookup.java:68)
    at org.openide.util.lookup.Lookups.executeWith(Lookups.java:303)

As gdb works with the internal terminal it can not be involved in the faulty behaviour.
I asked the Netbeans community if this was possible to take “advantages” of the ANSI sequences in the “standard/internal” terminal, years ago. It didn’t change since.
The escaped caracters are just printed at the terminal.

As I’m supposed to teach the basics of programming I’m not supposed to teach the graphical nore event drived applications to my students and at this step of my courses I’m stuck.
I could change the paradigm for the next year but for now I’m lost. I can’t show to the students the differences of the “bad approaches” and “clever approaches” simply because there is no way to launch Konsole.

I will try to configure xterm that works better than Konsole in such case, in order to have it behave as Konsole, the color space is not the same and that is important for us, and as we use functions to typically
manage Konsole in our home made library I have to change some features.

Sorry for this nonsensed up close and personnal (coup de gueule).
I did like a teenager :{