Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GCC version 7 to version 8

Default GCC version 7 to version 8

In the last couple of days when doing an update with Yast I was offered a new set of gcc* version 8* items.
    Once these were installed a number of gcc version 7 items were flagged red in Yast listing so I assume that these are no longer available to me.
    However when I try to delete these I am informed that this will break various important packages like Python, so I have just left them be.
    One item that was not updated was the main symbolic link gcc -> gcc-7 so I changed this to gcc -> gcc-8.
    Since then I have performed some compile updates and all seems to be well so there is no complaint here;
    just that I am left puzzled why I was not carried wholesale from v 7 to v 8.
    Anyone else experience the same thing?

Blog Entries

Default Re: GCC version 7 to version 8

Without better details about your python errors if you remove your gg7, that sounds really odd to me... AFAIK gcc really is a C compiler so AFAIK should be completely unrelated to anything python.

Also,
    Should you decide to keep multiple gcc on your system, instead of modifying the symbolic link as you did in a ratatively static manner, I'd recommend instead that you create an "alternative" so you can switch between your gcc easily.

I created a Wiki page describing how to do this...

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/gc...e-alternatives

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Without better details about your python errors if you remove your gg7, that sounds really odd to me... AFAIK gcc really is a C compiler so AFAIK should be completely unrelated to anything python.
    Agreed; I think the problem arises when trying to add libraries to Python that require compilation.

Also,
    Should you decide to keep multiple gcc on your system, instead of modifying the symbolic link as you did in a ratatively static manner, I'd recommend instead that you create an "alternative" so you can switch between your gcc easily.

TSU
    Thanks for this suggestion. I'll take a look at it.
    I'm sure it is an abundance of caution that left the link to the old set of programmes.
    One of my concerns is that there might be other symbolic links to attend to.

Also,

TSU
    Thank you, I find the tutorial for alternative installations very interesting.
    Just one question; since you have one main program (gcc), but other secondary programs (like for instance gcc-ar, gcc-nm, gcc-ranlib),
    would it make sense to perform an --install for the gcc program and then define as slaves (with the option --slave) the other secondary programs?.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amelcon View Post
    Thank you, I find the tutorial for alternative installations very interesting.
    Just one question; since you have one main program (gcc), but other secondary programs (like for instance gcc-ar, gcc-nm, gcc-ranlib),
    would it make sense to perform an --install for the gcc program and then define as slaves (with the option --slave) the other secondary programs?.

Thanks.
    You would, particularly if you were a true hardcore C Developer.
    If you were a real coder with full knowledge of your source, then you might instead define your compiler parameters in your spec/make file,

But the typical person who frequents these Forums and needs to use a particular gcc version most often needs only the main binary functionality, and none of those others.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Two days later and Yast update offered me a whole bunch more gcc8 material.
    As before, after the update, any attempt to delete the remaining gcc7 components results in warnings; not about python this time but X11, an equally important component of modern Linux installations.
    Perhaps there is more to come. It's all rather confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by colbec View Post
    Two days later and Yast update offered me a whole bunch more gcc8 material.
    As before, after the update, any attempt to delete the remaining gcc7 components results in warnings; not about python this time but X11, an equally important component of modern Linux installations.
    Perhaps there is more to come. It's all rather confusing.
    No confusion here:

Code:
    erlangen:~ # zypper se --installed-only gcc
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                  | Summary                                               | Type   
    ---+-----------------------+-------------------------------------------------------+--------
    i+ | gcc                   | The system GNU C Compiler                             | package
    i+ | gcc-c++               | The system GNU C++ Compiler                           | package
    i+ | gcc-locale            | The system GNU Compiler locale files                  | package
    i+ | gcc7                  | The GNU C Compiler and Support Files                  | package
    i  | gcc8                  | The GNU C Compiler and Support Files                  | package
    i  | gcc8-c++              | The GNU C++ Compiler                                  | package
    i+ | gcc8-fortran          | The GNU Fortran Compiler and Support Files            | package
    i  | gcc8-locale           | Locale Data for the GNU Compiler Collection           | package
    i+ | libgcc_s1             | C compiler runtime library                            | package
    i  | libgcc_s1-32bit       | C compiler runtime library                            | package
    i+ | libstdc++6-devel-gcc7 | Include Files and Libraries mandatory for Development | package
    i  | libstdc++6-devel-gcc8 | Include Files and Libraries mandatory for Development | package
    erlangen:~ # type gcc
    gcc is /usr/bin/gcc
    erlangen:~ # readlink -f /usr/bin/gcc
    /usr/bin/gcc-8
    erlangen:~ #
    gcc already linked to gcc-8.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

In the last couple of days when doing an update with Yast I was offered a new set of gcc* version 8* items.
    Once these were installed a number of gcc version 7 items were flagged red in Yast listing so I assume that these are no longer available to me.
    However when I try to delete these I am informed that this will break various important packages like Python, so I have just left them be.
    One item that was not updated was the main symbolic link gcc -> gcc-7 so I changed this to gcc -> gcc-8.
    Since then I have performed some compile updates and all seems to be well so there is no complaint here;
    just that I am left puzzled why I was not carried wholesale from v 7 to v 8.
    Anyone else experience the same thing?
    I finally managed to resolve this issue by using the online Leap 15.0 repos for the packages flagged red.
    Evidently at some point my cpp7 packages were upgraded from a 7.3 version to a 7.4 but then the 7.4 was withdrawn
    or at least not promoted to the online repos.
    By a forced reinstall from the online repos of the original 7.3 versions this cleared the red-flagged items from the Yast list.
    It was a bit painful to go through the items one by one, but fortunately the list was short, about 10 items.
    Yast is now clear and back to normal.

Blog Entries

Evidently at some point my cpp7 packages were upgraded from a 7.3 version to a 7.4 but then the 7.4 was withdrawn
    This seems to be correct. There was a message about that in one of the mailing lists.

And I have those withdrawn updates installed here. If I use
    Code:
    zypper dup --dry-run
    it shows them as needing to be downgraded. At the moment, it is not causing problems, so I'm not doing anything about it.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    At the moment, it is not causing problems, so I'm not doing anything about it.
    Agreed, changing things might not be necessary, it just makes things untidy.
    One odd thing, in my list of 10 items there was one item that offered a downgrade to a previous version, which I followed.
    None of the others offered this downgrade path, so it was a matter of doing them severally.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast