Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YAST MULTILINGUALISM

Default YAST MULTILINGUALISM

Hello, I am located in Oslo, Norway; Norwegian is my native language. Unfortunately, Norwegian 'computer language' is based on more or less precise translations from English, so my primary language setting in Leap 15 is English. Since I have spent some 13 years in Germany, Norwegian and German are set as secondary languages. YAST obviously tries to compete at the same level: Under "Nettverkstjenester" (Network Services) i find "Create New Kerberos Server, "Vertsnavn" (Hostname in Norwegian), "LDAP- und Kerberos-Client" (English and German), "E-post Server" (Norwegian and English), "NFS-klient" (Norwegian), "NIS-Client" (English), "NTP-Konfiguration" (etc. | osv. | usw.). I can live with the 'problem', but it is conceivable that it is not limited to YAST.

RGDS | Mvh | MfG,
    Jan Chridtian

Cool Re: YAST MULTILINGUALISM

Which is, AFAICS, one of the largest advantages of Open Source systems:
    • There are usually talented “local language” professionals who are prepared to contribute their translated text with a high quality to the respective Open Source projects.

WRT your YaST language issue, the following may be a good way to influence the Norwegian translation:
    1. Submit a Bug Report against YaST with your suggested improvements.
    2. Through the contacts you'll notice while the issue addressed by your Bug Report is being worked, suggest that you be admitted to the group who maintain the Norwegian translation …

Default Re: YAST MULTILINGUALISM

Quote Originally Posted by jc_anker View Post
    Hello, I am located in Oslo, Norway; Norwegian is my native language. Unfortunately, Norwegian 'computer language' is based on more or less precise translations from English, so my primary language setting in Leap 15 is English. Since I have spent some 13 years in Germany, Norwegian and German are set as secondary languages. YAST obviously tries to compete at the same level: Under "Nettverkstjenester" (Network Services) i find "Create New Kerberos Server, "Vertsnavn" (Hostname in Norwegian), "LDAP- und Kerberos-Client" (English and German), "E-post Server" (Norwegian and English), "NFS-klient" (Norwegian), "NIS-Client" (English), "NTP-Konfiguration" (etc. | osv. | usw.). I can live with the 'problem', but it is conceivable that it is not limited to YAST.

RGDS | Mvh | MfG,
    Jan Chridtian
    Is this installed?
    Code:
      yast2-trans-nb
    And then if you go to yast> language> you will find what you are looking for and should install the appropriate translations
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    Is this installed?
    Code:
      yast2-trans-nb
    And then if you go to yast> language> you will find what you are looking for and should install the appropriate translations
    I have installed English as the primary language and Norwegian plus German as secondary languages utilizing YAST. In the YAST menues i find 25 items in Norwegian, 6 in English, 17 in German, and several mixed (e.g. Brukerstøtte ('User Support' heading), 'Unterstutzung (line below heading)). Note: This is in one session. Doing a Shutdown changes nothing.

Jan Christian

Blog Entries

I see that you are describing a problem when you have multiple languages configured, not that translations are necessarily missing.

Unfortunately for myself, I don't have multiple languages configured for my daily work, so haven't tried to configure your setting, my limited experience in the past has been to configure only one additional language and switch between the two.

If no one can provide an answer here, then I'd suggest submitting a bug report describing our problem.

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Jan Christian,

This should only happen when translations are missing. But ... you're free to contribute, see https://l10n.opensuse.org/languages/
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Jan Christian,

This should only happen when translations are missing. But ... you're free to contribute, see https://l10n.opensuse.org/languages/
    OK, I think your point is that the confusion may happen when translations are missing. I have chosen American English as my primary language utilizing YAST. In my case, it results in Norwegian becoming the dominant language in YAST. When I hover over "Nettverksinstillinger", a line underneath apears, it reads 'Configure network cards,hostname and routing', could it be that the missing blank (... cards,hostname ...) triggers the switch from Norwegian to English because the spelling in English is not correct? And why do I find "LDAP- und Kerberos-Client" as a topic, is it because there are missing translations of "Client" into German (Client is 'Klient' in German, 'klient' in Norwegian)? A theory might be that missing blanks causes confusion, since in "Administrasjon av brukere og grupper" when hovering, I find the sub-line 'Add,Edit,Delete Users or User Groups'; may this cause that most of the items listed in YAST are in Norwegian (secondary language) and not in American English (primary language)? I would also like to mention that switching to UK-English makes no difference.

Concluding with a conspiracy theory (very popular thing in these days): Might it be the Google Translation Service and/or the Location Service acting behind the scenes?

Short version of all above: I think there is a programming bug at play.

Best regards,
    Jan Christian

Wink Re: YAST MULTILINGUALISM

Quote Originally Posted by jc_anker View Post
    Concluding with a conspiracy theory (very popular thing in these days): Might it be the Google Translation Service and/or the Location Service acting behind the scenes?

Short version of all above: I think there is a programming bug at play.
    No, I don't think so …

If:
    • The System Language is English – please use British English (with UTF-8) for “proper” (Oxford) spelling … ;
    • And, the user “root” has “export LANG=en_GB.UTF-8” in the ‘/root/.profile’ file;

then:
    • YaST should absolutely, perfectly, only use “very British” English …

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    No, I don't think so …

If:
    • The System Language is English – please use British English (with UTF-8) for “proper” (Oxford) spelling … ;
    • And, the user “root” has “export LANG=en_GB.UTF-8” in the ‘/root/.profile’ file;

then:
    • YaST should absolutely, perfectly, only use “very British” English …
    Three questions:

1) YaST operates with two 'britsih' languages, 'en_UK' and 'en_GB', which one is most 'very British'?

2) I am unable to find a '/root/.profile' file, should I create one?

3) Would it be correct to export 'LANGUAGE=en_US:nb:de' together with 'G_FILENAME_ENCODING=@locale,UTF-8,ISO-8859-15,CP1252' ?

Enlightening answers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jan Christian

Hello, I have edited my '/etc/locale.conf'-file, it now is

LANGUAGE=en_GB:nb:de,LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
    G_FILENAME_ENCODING=@locale,UTF-8,ISO-8859-15,CP1252

YAST has taken notice, but still maintains that there are two 'British' codings, 'en_UK' and 'en_GB'; the former is obviously a misprinting.

And YAST menus are still a mix of (now GB-) English, German, and Norwegian, any suggestions?

Jan Christian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast