Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to upgrade from 32 bit Tumbleweed to 64 bit LEAP 15.1?

Default Is it possible to upgrade from 32 bit Tumbleweed to 64 bit LEAP 15.1?

I've got an old laptop that originally had a 32 bit processor, and some time after I installed Tumbleweed I bought a 64 bit processor. Is it possible to upgrade to LEAP 15.1, or should I blow away tumbleweed and do a clean install of LEAP 15.1? If the latter, what files do I need to retain from /root?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it possible to upgrade from 32 bit Tumbleweed to 64 bit LEAP 15.1?

Leap 15.1 is not yet released ....
    Is the rest of the hardware 64bit compatible?
    Though I think it would technically be possible, a clean install would be best. You might be able to use autoyast to export / import and upgrade that way though, but my experiences with that are from years ago.
    I'd backup /etc /var /home for the sake of safety.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: Is it possible to upgrade from 32 bit Tumbleweed to 64 bit LEAP 15.1?

The LEAP 15.1 beta has been available for a while.

I replaced the processor. What other components might have a 64-bit issue and how do I test?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shmuelmetz View Post
    The LEAP 15.1 beta has been available for a while.
    As long as you recognize that it is a beta release, that's okay.

I replaced the processor. What other components might have a 64-bit issue and how do I test?
    I would suggest you download the Leap 15.1 live media and check whether everything works. It's available here:
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.1/live/
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

If the MB supports 64 bit it is probably enough.

But you can not just upgrade a 32 bit os to a 64 bit. Also any programs installed in 32 bit is best to move to 64 bit and thus best to just reinstall what you need rather then to try and rescue old code.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    If the MB supports 64 bit it is probably enough.

But you can not just upgrade a 32 bit os to a 64 bit. Also any programs installed in 32 bit is best to move to 64 bit and thus best to just reinstall what you need rather then to try and rescue old code.

Well, I can boot the LEAP 15.1 beta live DVD and log on, and I haven't expanded the physical RAM beyond 4 GiB. Are there any specific tests that you recommend? Thanks.

It runs or it does not there is no try

4 gig is enough but I do recommend 8 or more if you are a heavy user.

Up grading keeps stuff from the previous install and if it is 32 bit maybe you have some trouble, yes??

Best to just dump the old 32 bit stuff. (keeping any data/configs) and move all to 64 bit. Anything in your home and possible any databases you maintain should be ok. Yes you can run 32 bit stuff on 64 bit if you are careful and have all the 32 bit libs you might need. But why.

It runs or it does not there is no try

4 gig is enough but I do recommend 8 or more if you are a heavy user.

Up grading keeps stuff from the previous install and if it is 32 bit maybe you have some trouble, yes??

Best to just dump the old 32 bit stuff. (keeping any data/configs) and move all to 64 bit. Anything in your home and possible any databases you maintain should be ok. Yes you can run 32 bit stuff on 64 bit if you are careful and have all the 32 bit libs you might need. But why.
    Is there anything in the root partition that I should retain other than what is in /root, and is there anything in /root that I should not retain? /home is in a separate partition, so should not be an issue.

going from 32 to 64 bit is a major change. maybe make a backup copy of the /etc directory for a reference. I would not use those files though just use as reference..

Format root (/) but do not format home just mount it as /home

Mount swap nothing to be done there just mount it as swap

Note if you use any databases like maria/mysql etc they normally put their data files on root unless you put them some place else. you may want to back the data . If you don't use databases then ignore this advice .

Maybe make a list of the important program you use daily so you can reinstall. In any case reinstalling if you notice there is missing functionality is easy and quick so don't tie yourself into knots trying to preserve all 32 bit stuff.

going from 32 to 64 bit is a major change. maybe make a backup copy of the /etc directory for a reference. I would not use those files though just use as reference..

Format root (/) but do not format home just mount it as /home

Mount swap nothing to be done there just mount it as swap

Note if you use any databases like maria/mysql etc they normally put their data files on root unless you put them some place else. you may want to back the data . If you don't use databases then ignore this advice .

Maybe make a list of the important program you use daily so you can reinstall. In any case reinstalling if you notice there is missing functionality is easy and quick so don't tie yourself into knots trying to preserve all 32 bit stuff.
    The home directory for the root user is /root rather than a subdirectory of /home, and I plan to back it up before I format /. The question is whether there is anything that I should exclude from the restore of /root after the install.

I don't plan to retain any 32 bit software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast