Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YAST MULTILINGUALISM

Default Re: YAST MULTILINGUALISM

Quote Originally Posted by jc_anker View Post
    LANGUAGE=en_GB:nb:de,LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
    G_FILENAME_ENCODING=@locale,UTF-8,ISO-8859-15,CP1252
    Wrong.

I have absolutely no idea as to why a “G_???” variable definition should be included in ‘/etc/locale.conf’:
    1. It ain't listed in the list of valid parameters of the “locale.conf” man (5) page.
    2. It's a GTK parameter; meaning that, it has absolutely nothing to do with Linux System Parameters …
    3. Due to it being a GTK parameter, it's only valid within a user's GTK session or application – GNOME, Firefox, LibreOffice …

Three questions:
    1) YaST operates with two 'britsih' languages, 'en_UK' and 'en_GB', which one is most 'very British'?
    2) I am unable to find a '/root/.profile' file, should I create one?
    3) Would it be correct to export 'LANGUAGE=en_US:nb:de' together with 'G_FILENAME_ENCODING=@locale,UTF-8,ISO-8859-15,CP1252' ?
    Answers:
    1. For the case of openSUSE Leap 15.0, there're only 3 “very British” locales: en_GB; en_GB.iso885915; en_GB.utf8.
    2. Copy ‘/etc/skel/.profile’ to ‘/root/’ and edit it.
    3. Only for the case of either a GTK session (GNOME) or a GTK application (Firefox, LibreOffice, … ).

Please note that, the ISO 3166-1 definition of “UK” is defined only for the case of exceptions and, it's ISO 3166-1 Alpha 2 – Linux is not included in the list of exceptions …

To examine the list of valid English Locales use either “localectl list-locales | grep 'en_'” or “locale -a | grep 'en_'”.

Apropos the Locale parameters “LANG” and “LANGUAGE” – there's also openSUSE Leap 15.0 documentation: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati....l10n.fallback>.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Wrong.

I have absolutely no idea as to why a “G_???” variable definition should be included in ‘/etc/locale.conf’:
    1. It ain't listed in the list of valid parameters of the “locale.conf” man (5) page.
    2. It's a GTK parameter; meaning that, it has absolutely nothing to do with Linux System Parameters …
    3. Due to it being a GTK parameter, it's only valid within a user's GTK session or application – GNOME, Firefox, LibreOffice …

Answers:
    1. For the case of openSUSE Leap 15.0, there're only 3 “very British” locales: en_GB; en_GB.iso885915; en_GB.utf8.
    2. Copy ‘/etc/skel/.profile’ to ‘/root/’ and edit it.
    3. Only for the case of either a GTK session (GNOME) or a GTK application (Firefox, LibreOffice, … ).

Please note that, the ISO 3166-1 definition of “UK” is defined only for the case of exceptions and, it's ISO 3166-1 Alpha 2 – Linux is not included in the list of exceptions …

To examine the list of valid English Locales use either “localectl list-locales | grep 'en_'” or “locale -a | grep 'en_'”.
    Proposed changes effectuated. YAST has still only two types of English available in main menu, English (UK) and English (US). And YAST still has a language mix in the menus (I have not checked if it is the same mix as before). Concerning LANG and LANGUAGE: What you characterized as wrong was generated by Leap 15; however, I have removed it for testing purposes.

In any case: Thanks for your efforts and have a nice weekend!
    Jan Christian

YAST has still only two types of English available in main menu, English (UK) and English (US).
    Same here – and, I only have “yast2-trans-en” installed and, there's only “yast2-trans-en_GB” and “yast2-trans-en_US” available as additional translations …
    • I suspect that, we can safely assume that, “English (UK)” will install the “en_GB” Locale.
    • As far as YaST is concerned, it seems that the other English language Locales (Antigua and Barbados; Australia, Botswana, Canada, Denmark, Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, India, Nigeria, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe) are not considered to be necessary …
    • The same can be said for the various German language Locales …

And YAST still has a language mix in the menus (I have not checked if it is the same mix as before).
    Then, there is a language priority issue within YaST itself and with the “yast2-trans-nb” and “yast2-trans-nn” packages – a Bug Report is needed.

Concerning LANG and LANGUAGE: What you characterized as wrong was generated by Leap 15;
    I've checked with setting the System Language with YaST and setting it with ‘localectl’:
    1. Setting the secondary System Language with YaST only resulted in various en_GB Language Packs being installed and, the list of installed languages used by YaST being set to INSTALLED_LANGUAGES="en_GB,de_DE" …
    2. With the following CLI command, ‘/etc/locale.conf’ is now as follows:

Code:
     # localectl set-locale "LANG=de_DE.UTF-8" "LANGUAGE=en_GB:de_DE"
     # cat /etc/locale.conf 
    LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
    LANGUAGE=en_GB:de_DE
     #
    Conclusion:
    • Setting the secondary System Language via YaST doesn't setup ‘/etc/locale.conf’ – possibly a Bug Report is needed …
    • Setting the secondary System Language via ‘localectl’ modifies ‘/etc/locale.conf’ as expected – one line per parameter and no comma between parameter definitions …

And YAST still has a language mix in the menus (I have not checked if it is the same mix as before).
    After resetting this system to “de_DE.UTF-8” with no secondary System Language, I checked YaST – guess what:
    • The following Control Centre entries are in English – despite the language of the settings modules themselves being German: “Software-Repositories”; “Create New Directory Server”; “Create New Kerberos Server”; “FTP-Server”; “User Logon Management”.
    • The following Control Centre entries are in German but, the comment is English: “Datum und Zeit”; “Netzwerkeinstellungen”; “Partitionierer”.

Conclusion: Translation is missing …

Apropos the Locale parameters “LANG” and “LANGUAGE” – there's also openSUSE Leap 15.0 documentation: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati....l10n.fallback>.
    openSUSE documentation improved a lot. See also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...llback_locales

Trial and error is poor heuristics when dealing with locale. RTFM definitely works better.

Most programs adhere to what they are told in locale.conf. Whenever yast2 language doesn't adhere to man locale, kill its contributions to locale.conf.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Default AW: YAST MULTILINGUALISM

You can set in in your /home/USERNAME/.bash.rc:
    f.e.:
    Code:
    #export LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8
    #export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
    export LANGUAGE=de_DE.UTF-8

Default Re: AW: YAST MULTILINGUALISM

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    You can set in in your /home/USERNAME/.bash.rc:
    f.e.:
    Code:
    #export LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8
    #export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
    export LANGUAGE=de_DE.UTF-8
    See also:

Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> cat /home/karl/.config/plasma-localerc
    [Translations]
    LANGUAGE=
    karl@erlangen:~>
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

After resetting this system to “de_DE.UTF-8” with no secondary System Language, I checked YaST – guess what:
    • The following Control Centre entries are in English – despite the language of the settings modules themselves being German: “Software-Repositories”; “Create New Directory Server”; “Create New Kerberos Server”; “FTP-Server”; “User Logon Management”.
    • The following Control Centre entries are in German but, the comment is English: “Datum und Zeit”; “Netzwerkeinstellungen”; “Partitionierer”.

Conclusion: Translation is missing …
    I think your conclusion is wrong. With en_GB as primary language setting, I get a mix of languages. However, take a look at the comments for your Control Centre entities, they have language that is gibberish: What are the translations for 'zone,date,and', 'cards,hostname', and 'RAID,LVM,and', these three words are not in any dictionary, I suppose. Or - in other words - is a piece of software for text interpretation having to dealing with a that is being used as a thousands separator, a decimal comma, a literal comma and potentially other things, capable of interpreting the word 'zone,date,and' correctly? My conclusion would be that there may be more than one reason for the YaST behaviour.

Sorry!
    Jan Christian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast