Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: LOGIN WITHOUT PASSWORD (WORKED UNTIL SOME UPDATE)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    152

    Default LOGIN WITHOUT PASSWORD (WORKED UNTIL SOME UPDATE)

    With the installation of Leap 15, I was able to 'deactivate' kwallet. Desktop is KDE. Everything worked well,
    now almost everything still works well with the exception of login after a regular shutdown and power off,
    where no password is needed (!!!). When there is no activity for 5 minutes or more, I have to login to
    resume my session, and then a password is required.

    kwallet is installed, but deactivated. Apart from this, no 'non-openSuSE' is installed, exception is VLC.

    Any feedback on this one? Thanks in advance,
    Jan Christian

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,356
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: LOGIN WITHOUT PASSWORD (WORKED UNTIL SOME UPDATE)

    I think you have described this wrongly.

    What I think you are seeing, is that your screen is being locked after a period of no activity. And you are required to give a password to unlock the screen. You aren't actually doing a login.

    Configure Desktop --> Desktop Behavior

    Look at the left margin. One of the options is "Screen Locking". Click on that.

    Uncheck the box "Lock screen automatically after:"

    You can also change time. I have the time for that set to 30 minutes, but I have unchecked the box. My screen never automatically locks. The screen does blank after a time, but I'm not sure if that's from the 30 minutes for "Screen Locking" or for the 30 minutes to switch off the screen (in Power Settings).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: LOGIN WITHOUT PASSWORD (WORKED UNTIL SOME UPDATE)

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I think you have described this wrongly.

    What I think you are seeing, is that your screen is being locked after a period of no activity. And you are required to give a password to unlock the screen. You aren't actually doing a login.

    Configure Desktop --> Desktop Behavior

    Look at the left margin. One of the options is "Screen Locking". Click on that.

    Uncheck the box "Lock screen automatically after:"

    You can also change time. I have the time for that set to 30 minutes, but I have unchecked the box. My screen never automatically locks. The screen does blank after a time, but I'm not sure if that's from the 30 minutes for "Screen Locking" or for the 30 minutes to switch off the screen (in Power Settings).
    I thought I made it sufficiently clear that the problem occurs after a regular shutdown. Example: Shutdown in the evening (shutdown with power off), then power on and login in the morning after some 10 hours: No request for system password (but request for wifi password as intended). And, to avoid misunderstandings, the wifi password is quite different from the system login password.

    Sorry for not being sufficiently clear in my first posting!
    Jan Christian

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,649
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: LOGIN WITHOUT PASSWORD (WORKED UNTIL SOME UPDATE)

    This means you have autologin enabled. Use YaST > System > sysconfigeditor, search for AUTOLOGIN, remove your username, confirm the change, reboot and you should be prompted for your password.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,861

    Default Re: LOGIN WITHOUT PASSWORD (WORKED UNTIL SOME UPDATE)

    I think the confusion comes from the fact that you describe two things:
    • login after boot (where you say there is no password needed);
    • unlocking the screen (where you say there is a password needed).


    It wasn't clear which one of both was NOT what you expected.

    But when you login after boot, there are filelds for your username and for your password? I assume then that you fill in both. Is your password then rejected? And do you then retry with your usename, but an empty password field and do you get in then?

    As you see ,it is still not quite claer to me waht you do and see. Sorry, but the inability to look over shoulders at an another place on the globe means that rather extensive and precise explanation is needed.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,356
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: LOGIN WITHOUT PASSWORD (WORKED UNTIL SOME UPDATE)

    Quote Originally Posted by jc_anker View Post
    I thought I made it sufficiently clear that the problem occurs after a regular shutdown.
    It still isn't clear.

    I was going by:
    Quote Originally Posted by jc_anker View Post
    When there is no activity for 5 minutes or more, I have to login to
    resume my session, and then a password is required.
    And that sounds like screen locking.

    Example: Shutdown in the evening (shutdown with power off), then power on and login in the morning after some 10 hours: No request for system password (but request for wifi password as intended). And, to avoid misunderstandings, the wifi password is quite different from the system login password.
    Okay. But when you say "login in the morning", I'm not sure whether you are referring to autologin or whether you are saying that you need to enter a password. And when you say "No request for system password" does that mean that autologin worked (no password request), or does that only mean that you were not prompted for the root password?

    And, for that matter, when you say "shutdown with power off", I'm not sure whether you really mean shutdown or just hibernate (because it does want a use password to resume from hibernation).

    There is some imperfect communication here.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,861

    Default Re: LOGIN WITHOUT PASSWORD (WORKED UNTIL SOME UPDATE)

    I now see Knurpht's assumptions. That could indeed be true. But when you have autologin on, you have done that yourself (or your system manager, but I assume that that is the same physical person as the user).
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: LOGIN WITHOUT PASSWORD (WORKED UNTIL SOME UPDATE)

    Thanks at lot, removing autologin worked and I learned another finesse of Leap15. But who did turn it on (off)? The effect came after a system update.

    This post needs no reply.
    Jan Christian

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: LOGIN WITHOUT PASSWORD (WORKED UNTIL SOME UPDATE)

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I now see Knurpht's assumptions. That could indeed be true. But when you have autologin on, you have done that yourself (or your system manager, but I assume that that is the same physical person as the user).
    Your assumption about the system manager is correct. But I have absolutely no clue as to who turned the autologin option on. You get some points about suggesting 'doing that yourself' - generally it is a very good assumption for my particular case - but I have not been fooling around with the software since some time; the autologin option was not active a long time after my last attempt to earn a self-inflicted wound. I plead 'not guilty'.

    Best regards,
    Jan Christian

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,861

    Default Re: LOGIN WITHOUT PASSWORD (WORKED UNTIL SOME UPDATE)

    Quote Originally Posted by jc_anker View Post
    Your assumption about the system manager is correct. But I have absolutely no clue as to who turned the autologin option on. You get some points about suggesting 'doing that yourself' - generally it is a very good assumption for my particular case - but I have not been fooling around with the software since some time; the autologin option was not active a long time after my last attempt to earn a self-inflicted wound. I plead 'not guilty'.

    Best regards,
    Jan Christian
    OK, then "not guilty" .

    In any case, it is solved and that is what is important.
    Henk van Velden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •