Synaptics touchpad issue: significant cursor shift upon finger lift.

Issue: When using the touchpad, the cursor moves significantly when I lift my finger off of the touchpad, which makes selection and clicking more challenging than it should be.

Hardware: Dell inspiron 14z (5423) (Laptop)

I have found that the issue can be corrected by using the xf86-input-synaptics driver, with a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d entry.
Gnome/wayland is designed to work with libinput, so I have been trying to use an /etc/libinput/override.quirk entry to adjust the touchpad pressure range.
Unfortunately, I have not seen any effect whatsoever, no matter how ridiculous the values are.

I imagine that the contact patch size is how the driver determines pressure, so if I minimize the pressure range, then there will be less cursor shift as the pressure/contact-patch decreases. Maybe this is completely wrong, but I can’t get anything to take effect to know what does or does not work.

I have primarily been using the wayland guide, which states that temporary/local overrides must be handled by a local-overrides.quirk file, stored at /etc/libinput/.

observations:

1. When I libinput quirks list /dev/input/event1 , my override quirk is not listed
  2. Settings listed in libinput list-devices do not seem to match the actual settings
    Nat.scrolling: disabled
    Tap-to-click: disabled

Is there already an override present somewhere? natural scrolling is likely in the home/user/.local (or .config) folder, but the tap-to-click override must be somewhere too.

Am I approaching this correctly?
Any advice/assistance/guidance (even spoon-feeding) is welcome.

-Cyril

Synaptics values that work:

cyril@linux-s5he:~> cat 50-synaptics14z.conf
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Option "FingerLow"    "30"
        Option "FingerHigh"    "35"
        Option "VertScrollDelta"          "-111"
        Option "HorizScrollDelta"         "-111"
EndSection

quirk override that I would like to try:

cyril@linux-s5he:~>cat local-overrides.quirk:
[Touchpad pressure override]
MatchUdevType=touchpad
MatchName=*SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
MatchDMIModalias=dmi:*svnDellInc.:pnInspiron5423*
AttrPressureRange=25:24
AttrPalmSizeThreshold=120

cyril@linux-s5he:~> cat /sys/class/dmi/id/modalias
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA06:bd09/17/2012:svnDellInc.:pnInspiron5423:pvrNotSpecified:rvnDellInc.:rn0F45CW:rvrA06:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvrNotSpecified:

cyril@linux-s5he:~> sudo libinput list-devices
 ... ]
Device:           SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Kernel:           /dev/input/event1
Group:            10
Seat:             seat0, default
Size:             98x48mm
Capabilities:     pointer gesture
Tap-to-click:     disabled
Tap-and-drag:     enabled
Tap drag lock:    disabled
Left-handed:      disabled
Nat.scrolling:    disabled
Middle emulation: n/a
Calibration:      n/a
Scroll methods:   *two-finger edge 
Click methods:    none
Disable-w-typing: enabled
Accel profiles:   none
Rotation:         n/a

cyril@linux-s5he:~> grep -e "Using input driver 'libinput'" .local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
 14767.201] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
 14767.206] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
 14767.210] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
 14767.215] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Sleep Button'
 14767.219] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_HD: In'
 14767.226] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Dell WMI hotkeys'
 14767.231] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
 14767.238] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
 14767.245] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'

I don’t have a direct answer to your questions, except to recommend that you submit a bug report for any input device behaviour issue impacting when using libinput. The synaptics driver is deprecated, and as you’ve already mentioned Gnome and KDE are now built around using it.

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1129498

I’m not sure how this will hold up, considering that it is partially a report about a subjective issue.
The concrete part is that there is no means to control sensitiviity/pressure range for this device beyond run-time edits.

-Cyril

Yes, there’s no guarantee of a resolution with this kind of issue, but worth a shot anyway. Perhaps, also consider reporting upstream

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/