Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spectacle Rectangular Region selection locks the KDE GUI

Default Spectacle Rectangular Region selection locks the KDE GUI

Since a few days I see that when using Spectacle, the KDE Screenshot Utility, to make a screen shot using the Rectangular Region option, the GUI is locked just after I start to draw the rectangular region using the mouse.

Code:
    Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
               Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.3 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop v: 4.5 Mesa 18.1.7 

KDE Plasa Version: 5.15.2, KDE Frameworks Version: 5.55.0, Qt Version: 5.12.0
    When the screen is locked the Windows key will still pop up the start menu, but I can not select another application to start. The mouse also still moves but a klick has no effect.

I can switch to the command line using Ctrl-Alt-F1 and that works. top does not show anything special.

Two questions:
    • Is there a way to go back to the GUI?
    • How to get more details on why the GUI is hanging

Blog Entries

Default Re: Spectacle Rectangular Region selection locks the KDE GUI

Hi, don't see this, see:

Any additional repos involved?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Enter = take screenshot
    Esc = cancel

Does either work?

Thanks for the feedback, tried it yesterday and today but could not reproduce it, let me try again tomorrow.

Pressing Enter or ESC did not do anything,, but like said the Start key did work and Num Lock did toggle the LED.

Tried more times and could not reproduce the problem.

Still wondering what to do to diagnose a GUI that is responding tough, so if it would take place again, I can give some more meaningful information.

Did run into the problem three more times today, now on 20190314.

Added some identifiers to the log using "echo 'Mark' > /dev/kmsg" and based on that this is what I am seeing in the log:

Code:
    Mar 17 11:28:16 plasmashell[2488]: org.kde.plasmaquick: Applet "Application Menu" loaded after 0 msec
    Mar 17 11:28:16 plasmashell[2488]: org.kde.plasmaquick: Increasing score for "Application Menu" to 97
    Mar 17 11:28:17 plasmashell[2488]: trying to show an empty dialog
    Mar 17 11:28:17 plasmashell[2488]: trying to show an empty dialog
    Mar 17 11:28:19 kwin_x11[2479]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 4435, resource id: 29360211, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
    Mar 17 11:28:22 plasmashell[2488]: KActivitiesStats( 0x563dad383140 ) ResultModelPrivate::onResultScoreUpdated  result added: "applications:org.kde.spectacle.desktop" score: 6.70472 last: 1552818499 first: 1539035741
    After that nothing till the moment I pressed Ctrl+Shift+F1 to get a console.

Is anybody seeing Spectacle Rectangular Region selection working fine in a recent Tumbleweed install?

A work-around is to use the whole screen capture and then use another program to cut out what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by marel View Post
    Is anybody seeing Spectacle Rectangular Region selection working fine in a recent Tumbleweed install?
    I normally capture the entire screen, then "gimp it"...

Just tried rectangular selection and confirm it's definitely broken. Cursor changes to a selection cross, but I'm unable to make the selection, in fact as far as the kde desktop is concerned, I'm unable to do anything... only move the cursor around.

That's with TW 20190314 and nvidia graphics.
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190713) KDE Plasma 5
    Leap 15.0 KDE Plasma 5
    [Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected]

Thanks Paul for confirming, do you also see the "kwin_x11[2479]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow)" message in your system log?

This then looks to me like KDE bug, probably a ticket should be opened there...

Quote Originally Posted by marel View Post
    Thanks Paul for confirming, do you also see the "kwin_x11[2479]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow)" message in your system log?
    Yes.... but there's a lot of those anyway that don't originate from spectacle, so I'm not sure that's too relevant.

What I am seeing though is spectacle creating literally thousands of lines in the log, take a look at this screenshot:

http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/15f94697

This line "org.kde.Spectacle[1329]: nouveau: kernel rejected pushbuf: Cannot allocate memory" may perhaps be more interesting ? (I note you're using intel graphics, whilst I'm using nvidia/nouveau)

This then looks to me like KDE bug, probably a ticket should be opened there...
    I had a quick look over at https://bugs.kde.org/ as this problem seemed vaguely familiar, but I didn't find anything, so maybe I'm mistaken....

Yes, probably worth a bug report.
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190713) KDE Plasma 5
    Leap 15.0 KDE Plasma 5
    [Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected]

I am/was not seeing the "org.kde.Spectacle" messages Paul is seeing at all, likely because I am indeed running on Intel graphics.

Saw there was an update available, so updated to 20190315 and tried the Rectangular Selection. No problem, so either fixed or strangely intermittent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast