Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Multiple Problems Working With Leap 15: Desktop; Gnome-shell-extensions; Firefox

  1. #1

    Default Multiple Problems Working With Leap 15: Desktop; Gnome-shell-extensions; Firefox

    Hi All,
    Earlier I have been working with Leap 42.3 gnome desktop. It having been wrecked by the Package Updater, I changed to Leap 15.
    I am not an expert user of Linux but have used various versions of openSUSE for many years now. I use it extensively for my writings (LibreOffice), graphics (GIMP) and keeping in touch with the world (Firefox). I had configured my Leap 42.3 perfectly for my use with Gnome-Extensions etc. But cannot do the same on this version of LEAP.

    Desktop:
    1. When I go to https://extensions.gnome.org/ for installing extensions it gives and error :
    "Unable to locate GNOME Shell settings or version. Make sure it is installed and running."
    I cannot make out anything of this error. I have, however installed 'gnome-tweak-tool' and 'chrome-gnome-shell'.
    My gnome version is gnome-3.26.1.
    2. My desktop does not show on it the applications and documents in my 'Desktop' folder.
    3. The settings made on the Tweak Tool do not translate on to the desktop. For example Desktop Background does not show even after rebooting.

    Gnome-Shell-Extensions:
    I cannot install gnome-shell-extensions to tweak my desktop.

    Firefox:
    1. It does not play any videos.
    2. Even after setting my home page as 'https://www.gmail.com' in 'Preferences', every time I launch it I get a blank page.

    As of now, Leap 15 gnome desktop is very unworkable by me.
    Any Help/Advice would be most welcome.
    Regards,

    RSP2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,682
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Multiple Problems Working With Leap 15: Desktop; Gnome-shell-extensions; Firefox

    Hi
    The gnome shell extension website relies on a plugin these days, so is your system all up to date. When you visited the site, did you allow this to be installed?

    There is nothing additional that's needed to be installed, just this plugin...

    Oh, also note you may wish to install the Top Icons Plus extension as the system tray for icons is now gone...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Multiple Problems Working With Leap 15: Desktop; Gnome-shell-extensions; Firefox

    Hi Malcolm,

    Many thanks for your reply.
    I did not get any indication for installing any 'plugin' at https://extensions.gnome.org/. If you are meaning 'GNOME shell integration', that extension has been installed in Firefox.

    While trying to launch 'gnome-tweak-tool' from konsole gives the following output:

    Code:
    rsp@dell-linux:~> gnome-tweak-tool
    Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyWARNING : Shell not installed or running
    WARNING : Shell not running
    NoneType: None
    WARNING : Error detecting shell
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_group_shell_extensions.py", line 213, in __init__
        raise Exception("Shell not running or DBus service not available")
    Exception: Shell not running or DBus service not available
    
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: atk-bridge: GetRegisteredEvents returned message with unknown signature
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    rsp@dell-linux:~>
    But the Tweak-Tool window did show up.

    This may be helpful for getting to the problem.

    Regards,

    RSP2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,682
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Multiple Problems Working With Leap 15: Desktop; Gnome-shell-extensions; Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by rsp2 View Post
    Hi Malcolm,

    Many thanks for your reply.
    I did not get any indication for installing any 'plugin' at https://extensions.gnome.org/. If you are meaning 'GNOME shell integration', that extension has been installed in Firefox.

    While trying to launch 'gnome-tweak-tool' from konsole gives the following output:

    Code:
    rsp@dell-linux:~> gnome-tweak-tool
    Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyWARNING : Shell not installed or running
    WARNING : Shell not running
    NoneType: None
    WARNING : Error detecting shell
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_group_shell_extensions.py", line 213, in __init__
        raise Exception("Shell not running or DBus service not available")
    Exception: Shell not running or DBus service not available
    
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: atk-bridge: GetRegisteredEvents returned message with unknown signature
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    ** (gnome-tweak-tool:4344): WARNING **: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name
    rsp@dell-linux:~>
    But the Tweak-Tool window did show up.

    This may be helpful for getting to the problem.

    Regards,

    RSP2
    Hi
    Hmmm, konsole or do you mean gnome-terminal, or do you have multiple Desktop environments installed?

    If you create a test user and login, open a gnome-terminal and run the command, does the error duplicate?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,809
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Multiple Problems Working With Leap 15: Desktop; Gnome-shell-extensions; Firefox

    FWIW: your install wasn't wrecked by the package updater, but by using the one-click for a Tumbleweed package. Please keep that in mind, otherwise you might land in such a situation again, when installing from software.o.o
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #6

    Default Re: Multiple Problems Working With Leap 15: Desktop; Gnome-shell-extensions; Firefox

    Hi Malcolm,

    Have gnome desktop only; but I like 'konsole' instead of 'gnome-terminal'. Hence, only some of the KDE apps that I like have been installed without installing the whole of the KDE. Installed 'konsole', 'dolphin' and 'k3b'. Been doing so in LEAP 42.3 and earlier as well.

    Having got cheesed off by continuous fiddling and tweaking, I reinstalled LEAP 15. Dolphin was creating problems; so I removed it. The rest of the system is functioning very well.

    Some how, the Gnome-Shell-Extensions, that I had installed during the happy days of LEAP 42.3,have come alive. These have given me back my good old Desktop without any further ado. Probably, the cue was taken from my HOME directory?

    But there is one annoying object on my Desktop. It has come and sat there without creating any problem though. It is an icon of 'Network Servers' (of 0 bite) with three monitors: one in front and two at the back. Upon clicking, it opens in a folder showing 'Network' with two more icons of: 'dell-linux' that is the 'hostname' of my computer and the second icon is of networks. Nothing happens upon clicking these twp objects.
    When I drag 'Network Servers' icon to drop it into 'Trash' it returns to its original place. Renamed it as a 'dot' file so that it hides; but to no avail. Right clicking does not show 'move to trash'.

    Is it possible to get rid of this unnecessary item.

    Thanks & Regards,

    RSP2

  7. #7

    Default Re: Multiple Problems Working With Leap 15: Desktop; Gnome-shell-extensions; Firefox

    Hi Knurpht,

    I feel that I had installed certain video apps such as MPlayer, Smplayer etc along with their dependencies. But these had been installed through YAST2 and not by 'one click' from the net. May also be that I had installed some software where it warns that 'you will remain subscribed to this repository' etc or words to that effect. Likely that with that, some other repository (possibly belonging to Tumbleweed) got infiltrated. Hence, when I received the notification of updating 2800 packages, I should have suspected it. That was where I went wrong, I think. Otherwise, I do not recall having performed 'one click' install of any software.

    Anyhow, am quite happy having reinstalled LEAP 15 twice. It is now working well except for the small issue that I reflected in my reply to Malcolm.
    All's well that ends well!

    Thanks a lot for your patience and constantly and efficiently attending to my numerous mails.

    Warm Regards,

    RSP2

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,682
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Multiple Problems Working With Leap 15: Desktop; Gnome-shell-extensions; Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by rsp2 View Post
    Hi Malcolm,

    Have gnome desktop only; but I like 'konsole' instead of 'gnome-terminal'. Hence, only some of the KDE apps that I like have been installed without installing the whole of the KDE. Installed 'konsole', 'dolphin' and 'k3b'. Been doing so in LEAP 42.3 and earlier as well.

    Having got cheesed off by continuous fiddling and tweaking, I reinstalled LEAP 15. Dolphin was creating problems; so I removed it. The rest of the system is functioning very well.

    Some how, the Gnome-Shell-Extensions, that I had installed during the happy days of LEAP 42.3,have come alive. These have given me back my good old Desktop without any further ado. Probably, the cue was taken from my HOME directory?

    But there is one annoying object on my Desktop. It has come and sat there without creating any problem though. It is an icon of 'Network Servers' (of 0 bite) with three monitors: one in front and two at the back. Upon clicking, it opens in a folder showing 'Network' with two more icons of: 'dell-linux' that is the 'hostname' of my computer and the second icon is of networks. Nothing happens upon clicking these twp objects.
    When I drag 'Network Servers' icon to drop it into 'Trash' it returns to its original place. Renamed it as a 'dot' file so that it hides; but to no avail. Right clicking does not show 'move to trash'.

    Is it possible to get rid of this unnecessary item.

    Thanks & Regards,

    RSP2
    Hi
    If you go to the Gnome Shell extensions website, then select installed extensions some may require updating, note only the ones you installed, not the system ones, just leave these even if it says an update is available.

    In the Gnome Tweak Tool, Desktop tab, I'm guessing the Icons on Desktop is enabled and 'Network Servers' option is also enabled
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Multiple Problems Working With Leap 15: Desktop; Gnome-shell-extensions; Firefox

    Hi Malcolm,

    The good news is that you had guessed right. The icon of 'Network Servers' was activated (ticked) in the Desktop-icons part of tweak-tool. That icon has disappeared now. Thanks to your deep knowledge and experience of openSUSE.

    The other news is that Leap 15 did not work well for me. It kept hanging and wasting my time by freezing and then, upon reboot, going back to its own drab Desktop disregarding the Gnome-Shell-Extensions. I had installed it twice to restore my old Desktop. Finally I settled back to my good old LEAP 42.3. It has matured over the last two years that I have been using it and as such, is quite stable.

    Will Leap 42.3 be supported for the future, by openSUSE hierarchy?

    Thanks and Regards, once again,

    RSP2

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Multiple Problems Working With Leap 15: Desktop; Gnome-shell-extensions; Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by rsp2 View Post
    Will Leap 42.3 be supported for the future, by openSUSE hierarchy?
    As far as I know 42.3 was supposed to end in Jan 2019 but was extended to some time in June. Whether it's picked up by the community as an 'evergreen' or whatever I don't know.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •