Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yast ncurses fails to start

Exclamation yast ncurses fails to start

Yast in Gnome works perfectly fine, but when I try to launch ncurses yast it fails as follows:

Code:
    /sbin/yast2: line 450:  5139 Aborted                 (core dumped) $ybindir/y2start $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS
    (The above output all appears on one line.)

I get the same result whether it's from the Gnome terminal or a tty.

I've exercised my Google fu but after a few hours, I can't crack it.
    Some 2+ yr old threads suggest that the problem may be related to ruby, or some yast binding files. yast2-ycp-ui-bindings ??
    Using the yast GUI I downgraded a couple of these which I found when searching for yast, but it hasn't appeared to help.

I found this page https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7006751 which suggested tracing the issue with "sh -x yast" which gave me this output:

Code:
    /sbin/yast: line 450:  4564 Aborted                 (core dumped) $ybindir/y2start $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS
                                                                                                                                           + exit_code=134
                                                                                                                                                          + '[' -z /var/lib/YaST2/restart_menu -o '!' -f /var/lib/YaST2/restart_menu ']'
                     + break
                            + snapshot_post menu
                                                + '[' menu '!=' menu -a menu '!=' migration ']'
                                                                                               + '[' -f /var/lib/YaST2/reboot ']'
                                                                                                                                 + '[' 0 = 0 ']'
                                                                                                                                                + rm -f /var/run/yast.pid
                                                                                                                                                                         + exit 134
    Any suggestions of how to sort this out?
    Can the core dump file help?

Blog Entries

Default Re: yast ncurses fails to start

If you want to launch the graphical YaST, then from an elevated console (su, su -, or you can prepend "sudo")
    Code:
    yast2
    And, if you want to launch ncurses (text) YaST, then
    Code:
    yast
    In other words, remove that "2" from yast...
    And, of course if you're in a non-graphical environment, you can't launch graphical YaST (yast2) which looks to be tje cause of your errors...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    If you want to launch the graphical YaST, then from an elevated console (su, su -, or you can prepend "sudo")
    Code:
    yast2
    And, if you want to launch ncurses (text) YaST, then
    Code:
    yast

I'm running it correctly...
    From within Gnome terminal yast2 launches the YaST GUI perfectly, but yast gives the output in the OP.
    I'm familiar with using yast (ncurses) for years, but this is the first time I've seen this issue.

- Gordon

To make is clear, I type this in Gnome terminal:
    Code:
    # yast
    then the terminal clears and simple displays this, in the staggered manner shown:
    Code:
    /sbin/yast: line 450: 22352 Aborted                 (core dumped) $ybindir/y2start $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS
                                                                                                                                           s1:~ #
    the Gnome terminal now shows no input if I type, the characters are invisible, but pressing <enter> does respond correctly to `ls` for instance. A tty gives the same result. I regularly work in the terminal, and all other aspects of my PC appear to work perfectly fine.

- Gordon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_mzano View Post
    I'm running it correctly...
    From within Gnome terminal yast2 launches the YaST GUI perfectly, but yast gives the output in the OP.
    I'm familiar with using yast (ncurses) for years, but this is the first time I've seen this issue.

- Gordon
    Pls post output when you invoke yast and include a description what console environment it's run, Your posts only describe invoking yast2 which won't work for instance in an init3 tty.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Smile Re: yast ncurses fails to start

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Pls post output when you invoke yast and include a description what console environment it's run, Your posts only describe invoking yast2 which won't work for instance in an init3 tty.
    TSU
    You may have just missed my previous post by a couple of minutes. But this time I have tested as suggested and dropped to runlevel 3 and I still get the same results. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is the outcome...

Switch to runlevel 3 and run yast:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cR0...ew?usp=sharing

Error:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dMdlPnw7WPNcnbOOXRDyJcxf0I3gFtmz/view?usp=sharing

Notice how the command prompt is now not anchored to the left...

The terminal session is now messed up, with the command prompt drifting across as if the EOL char doesn't function.
    Output after typing additional commands (marked in red). The actual commands don't appear on the screen anymore, just the output. The only way I can recover is to `exit` the root session back to my user login.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18JA...ew?usp=sharing

Pretty weird isn't it.

- Gordon

I even tried to force ncurses with
    Code:
    # yast --ncurses
    but still the issue persists.

Default AW: yast ncurses fails to start

Please post:
    Code:
    zypper se -si libyui