Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: zypper segfaulting

Default zypper segfaulting

Starting yesterday and continuing today "zypper dup" is crashing with a simple message of "Segmentation fault" during the process of downloading packages. Restarting the "zypper dup" process continues the downloads. Th installation after all the packages are successfully downloaded has not crashed. Yesterday it crashed three times, while today only once (though there were more packages to download yesterday).

Is anyone else seeing this?

Blog Entries

Default Re: zypper segfaulting

Quote Originally Posted by poorboywilly View Post
    Starting yesterday and continuing today "zypper dup" is crashing with a simple message of "Segmentation fault" during the process of downloading packages. Restarting the "zypper dup" process continues the downloads. Th installation after all the packages are successfully downloaded has not crashed. Yesterday it crashed three times, while today only once (though there were more packages to download yesterday).

Not me, FWIW. Which makes me wonder about your repos. Please show
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    between CODE tags, the # in the editor.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Are you sure it's during a download?
    I've noticed that sometimes packages install immediately after a download, other times install happens only after all downloading has completed.

It's more likely that a segmentation fault would happen during an install than a download... Or, at least I can't think of a reason why it can happen during a download.

Inspecting your system log can provide a more informative error,
    Assuming the segmentation fault isn't so serious it causes your system to crash, you can view your system log in real time while you're doing any suspect activity
    Code:
    journalctl -f
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poorboywilly View Post
    Yes. It just happened.

Code:
    Retrieving package libgcj-jar-gcc6-6.5.0-1.15.x86_64
                                              (1/89),   9.8 MiB ( 10.8 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: libgcj-jar-gcc6-6.5.0-1.15.x86_64.rpm ............[done (1.4 MiB/s)]
    Retrieving package glibc-2.29-3.1.x86_64  (2/89),   1.7 MiB (  6.5 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: glibc-2.29-3.1.x86_64.rpm ......................[done (666.1 KiB/s)]
    Retrieving package glibc-32bit-2.29-3.1.x86_64
                                              (3/89),   1.4 MiB (  4.1 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: glibc-32bit-2.29-3.1.x86_64.rpm --------------------------[starting]Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    Something may have been broken in the 20190305 update. The segfault was when downloading for the 20190307 update.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

I've seen zypper dup silently exit 2 or 3 times while downloading -- with no seg fault, no message, nothing in dmesg. It just stops at some random percentage of an rpm (not between rpms) and returns to the command line.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Are you sure it's during a download?
    I've noticed that sometimes packages install immediately after a download, other times install happens only after all downloading has completed.

It's more likely that a segmentation fault would happen during an install than a download... Or, at least I can't think of a reason why it can happen during a download.

Inspecting your system log can provide a more informative error,
    Assuming the segmentation fault isn't so serious it causes your system to crash, you can view your system log in real time while you're doing any suspect activity
    Code:
    journalctl -f
    TSU

I will be completely honest, I am not sure when it's happening (I did edit the log file down by slimming down my "PC name" in the log ... it's now 2.7MB

It usually happens after you go through the full install and setup and it is downloading/installing stuff

I am having another issue with lagginess on Gnome when no other Gnome on this same machine does this ... SO I MAY redo this as Plasma 5 ... IF the same issue happens (the ORIGINAL ISSUE) then I will be able to save more logs of what happened this time ... if not i still have the log from the Gnome install so maybe (hypothetically thinking...) it's something with one of the Gnome packages

I am off to read through the log (again of the original issue) again right now

sorry ... posted my last message on the wrong thread .... i will remove (I think i see there is a time limit before i can delete the post) that post and THIS one too when i can ... sorry again

Quote Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
    I've seen zypper dup silently exit 2 or 3 times while downloading -- with no seg fault, no message, nothing in dmesg. It just stops at some random percentage of an rpm (not between rpms) and returns to the command line.
    I've experienced silent exit, but with nothing to indicate so except that nothing more is written on the duping screen, and not in a while, since I've done little updating in the past week or two.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Blog Entries

I've done a few TW upgrades within this past week and haven't seen any problems,

Long ago, I experienced many "silent exits" usually during especially long updates/upgrades, but none that I can remember that actually displayed a segmentation fault. And, in all cases I can remember vaguely from long ago, I didn't have to wait, I just restarted the update/upgrade and the problem would iron itself out.

Since @nrickert reports he has experienced the problem as described, I guess it exists but I cannot think how how such a thing can happen.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

I have seen this a couple of times with the last few updates. It occurs during the download. Once restarting progressed a little further and then had to be restarted again. The other time it completed on a single restart. I have since done a

Code:
    sudo rpm --rebuilddb && sudo zypper clean -a && sudo zypper ref
    I'm now waiting for a big update to see if it occurs again.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast