Thread: Intel Optron Cache?

Default Intel Optron Cache?

I had to upgrade my computer about 1.5yrs ago. I don't know if it was a good decision or not. I decided to go for a top of the line Intel NUC computer with an Optron Cache. Unfortunately, the only support for the Optron Cache at that time was Windows 10. This post is really to ask if Intel's Optron Cache is supported by openSUSE nowadays, or if there is any plans afoot to port the code to openSUSE at any future time. Or if I'm destined to be stuck with Win10 for the forseeable future? Any incidental thoughts are also welcomed.

One other passing thought. I've grown to dislike Thunderbird totally on Windows. I moved to another Windows email client, Mailbird. Which i think works and looks (a lot) better than Thunderbird. I'm wondering if there is any similar looking/working email client for openSUSE, which I could use upon my potential return to the openSUSE fold. For those who don't know Mailbird, I'd describe it as a very Apple-esque email client.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Intel Optron Cache?

Quote Originally Posted by stubble View Post
    I had to upgrade my computer about 1.5yrs ago. I don't know if it was a good decision or not. I decided to go for a top of the line Intel NUC computer with an Optron Cache. Unfortunately, the only support for the Optron Cache at that time was Windows 10. This post is really to ask if Intel's Optron Cache is supported by openSUSE nowadays, or if there is any plans afoot to port the code to openSUSE at any future time. Or if I'm destined to be stuck with Win10 for the forseeable future? Any incidental thoughts are also welcomed.

One other passing thought. I've grown to dislike Thunderbird totally on Windows. I moved to another Windows email client, Mailbird. Which i think works and looks (a lot) better than Thunderbird. I'm wondering if there is any similar looking/working email client for openSUSE, which I could use upon my potential return to the openSUSE fold. For those who don't know Mailbird, I'd describe it as a very Apple-esque email client.
    Hi
    Can you confirm Optron, or do you mean Optane?

You should be able to use wine and carry on running Mailbird?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Yeah, Oops, Sorry. I meant Optane Cache. My bad.

Yeah. I completely forgot about Wine. That's good to know.

Thanks for the correction and tips. But back to the main thrust of the post. Is Intel Optane Cache supported by openSUSE. Is it a good port, or is it buggy? Any comments are welcome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stubble View Post
    Yeah, Oops, Sorry. I meant Optane Cache. My bad.

Yeah. I completely forgot about Wine. That's good to know.

Thanks for the correction and tips. But back to the main thrust of the post. Is Intel Optane Cache supported by openSUSE. Is it a good port, or is it buggy? Any comments are welcome.
    Hi
    So it's just caching (nvme) device for the HDD, so you could look at using bcache for this, it can even be created during install;
    https://lizards.opensuse.org/2019/02...-sprint-71-72/

Note: The Intel blurb still only says WinX support.

This also assumes single boot into openSUSE....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

The following article suggests that despite lack of official Intel support, the Linux kernel may support Optane for quite awhile now.
    Article suggests if everything (BIOS, Kernel) is updated to latest current, you may see the Optane cache as an NVMe device automatically.

Note the article is 2017

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ane-16gb&num=1

An extensive discussion by guys who got it to work...

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/opta...linux/115276/3

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Thanks Malcolm & tsu2 you have given me some encouragement, that I might be able to get back openSUSE when I can find the time in a busy schedule