Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE without kernel binary blobs?

Default Re: Time to stop using computers?

Questions which I still hope to get an answer to:

- What does "Dual" mean (ref. post #4)

- Question 3 from the OP

- What would be the effect of uninstalling 'kernel-firmware' package? The main concern is not to put the system in an unbootable/broken state, so please explain how to verify if everything will work after this limited "deblobbing" as I am interested to give it a try (if it is possible and safe)

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE without kernel binary blobs?

Regarding the use of blobs,
    AFAIK and IMO it all comes down to where the binary comes from.

The main objection to binaries is that unless you are able to de-compile, there is no way to know for sure whether the binary contains "extra" instructions from an unknown and possibly malicious source.

So,
    it really comes down to where the binary comes from, whether the source that created the binary is publicly available and the security measures in place to ensure that the binary contributed to your project has its integrity intact.

I don't think how the kernel is built is inconsistent with openSUSE' fairly strict standards restricting re-distributed applications, one of the primary purposes is to distribute pre-compiled apps so the compiling doesn't have to happen on User machines. On openSUSE, source is available for every package so that it can be checked, and each step from OBS to the client machine is made secure, and AFAIK everything including any binaries included in the kernel are from trusted sources.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    What does "Dual" mean (ref. post #4)
    It's the License – the Awk commands possibly stripped off some information – take a look at the complete modinfo output for the modules containing the files which triggered the “Dual” text:
    GPL
    GPL V2
    GPL with additional rights
    Dual BSD/GPL
    Dual MIT/GPL
    Dual MPL/GPL
    Proprietary
    See: <http://tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/x279.html>

Thanks dcurtisfra!

Any idea about the other 2 questions?

- What would be the effect of uninstalling 'kernel-firmware' package? The main concern is not to put the system in an unbootable/broken state, so please explain how to verify if everything will work after this limited "deblobbing" as I am interested to give it a try (if it is possible and safe)
    I would try this only on a “Server” system – no GUI.
    • There is a chance that, the lack of the Kernel Firmware would allow at least an ASCII terminal session to examine the effects of the state – it is after all, the same as the system state during the boot process before the Firmware is loaded …

Smile Re: openSUSE without kernel binary blobs?

1. Is deblobbing the linux kernel a freetardism and how bad is it actually to have blobs?
    Reading the “Freetardism” article, my conclusions are:
    1. GNU, Free Software Foundation, Open Source, GPL, is mostly (99.999%) about Software Programs – in other words, applications …
    2. The Open Source Kernels are a, very, special case:

• They are the layer between the Hardware we purchase and, the Software Programs we execute on the Hardware Platforms we've purchased.
    • The Hardware we purchase is commercial – not Open Source …
    • By purchasing Hardware, we've also purchased Licenses related to that Hardware.
    • When we purchase Hardware, we pay for expected Hardware behaviour …

The “Freetardism” folks, seem to believe that, simply by purchasing items one purchases the right to dictate how the Vendor of the item(s) shall behave with respect to the ethics of Open Source …
    • My view is, there ain't an Industrialist anywhere on this planet who would bow to such customer views and/or dictates – in business terms, this means accepting the payment and ignoring what the customer has said – with the exception of that customer who purchases 90 % of the company's products brought to the market …

3. Is this a valid/recommended procedure for switching to a "Linux-libre" kernel or is there a better way?
    Possibly but, it's up to you with the Hardware you've purchased …

According to the Wikipedia article on Linux-libre, openSUSE Tumbleweed offers, as an alternative, a Linux-libre kernel – I don't have any Tumbleweed systems and therefore, I have absolutely no way to confirm this information …

Thanks for the answers!

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    I would try this only on a “Server” system – no GUI.
    • There is a chance that, the lack of the Kernel Firmware would allow at least an ASCII terminal session to examine the effects of the state – it is after all, the same as the system state during the boot process before the Firmware is loaded …
    How would you:
    (A) check that everything works after the change
    (B) "undo" the change (in case something doesn't work as expected)
    ?

2. In case it comes down to hardware support (which may depend on particular blobs) - how can one check if there is such hardware which needs those blobs?
    Check the contents of the /lib/firmware/ License files for anything related to your Hardware.
    Search all the license files in /usr/ for licenses related to your Hardware.

How would you:
    (A) check that everything works after the change
    (B) "undo" the change (in case something doesn't work as expected)
    1. Before executing the test, document all the applications executing on the system and, write the Test Cases needed to prove correct execution.
    2. After booting the “no firmware” system, execute the Test Cases to prove that the applications still execute as expected.
    3. If the applications do not perform as expected, invoke YaST from the CLI (yast2) to reinstall the Firmware package.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast