Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Kmail forgets send password

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    26

    Default Kmail forgets send password

    Hallo,

    since almost a month KMail forgets the password for sending emails. After each new start I must "refresh" this password in setting (Settings/ KMail settings / Sending / Change ...) in order to sent a news.
    If I don't, the news will stay in outgoing folder.

    All the packages about KMail has been installed - I checked it -> kmail, kmail-account-wizard, kmail-account-wizard-lang, kmail-application-icons, kmail-lang, kmailtransport, kmailtransport-lang.

    What's the matter? Do I need another package?

    Thanks in advance for any suggestion

    geppino

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Kmail forgets send password

    sorry, I have forgotten:

    KDE-Plasma 5.8.7
    KDE-Framework: 5.32.0
    Qt-Version: 5.6.2
    KDE-PIM: 5.5.2
    KMail-Version: 17.04.2-3.1

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,594

    Question Re: Kmail forgets send password

    Quote Originally Posted by geppino View Post
    since almost a month KMail forgets the password for sending emails.
    How are storing the information KMail needs to send and receive e-Mail?
    • With KWallet (and a password wallet named "kdewallet"?
    • Or, something else?

    The KMail handbook is here: <https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/pim/kmail2/index.html>.
    And, a troubleshooting is here: <https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/pim/...esnt-send-mail>.

    The KWallet handbook is here: <https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kdeu...et5/index.html>.
    • Please note that, the classic Blowfish encryption provides the easiest and simplest encryption method – the most simple way to set it up is, to use an empty password to access the wallet – really …

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Kmail forgets send password

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    How are storing the information KMail needs to send and receive e-Mail?
    • With KWallet (and a password wallet named "kdewallet"?
    • Or, something else?

    The KMail handbook is here: <https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/pim/kmail2/index.html>.
    And, a troubleshooting is here: <https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/pim/...esnt-send-mail>.

    The KWallet handbook is here: <https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kdeu...et5/index.html>.
    • Please note that, the classic Blowfish encryption provides the easiest and simplest encryption method – the most simple way to set it up is, to use an empty password to access the wallet – really …
    dcurtisfra, thanks a lot for your contribute! ... and sorry for my late replay.

    I solved the inconvenience but I don't now exactly how ... I tried some different "corrective" measures and restarted the system after executed each one - but without improvements.

    List of solving trials
    1. The first attempt tried is also the answer at your question
    How are storing the information KMail needs to send and receive e-Mail?
    With KWallet (...)
    Yes, with KWallet. And when I checked the passwords stored, I noticed (and corrected) a strange mistake: for the affected email account there was two passwords, the correct and the old ones - change done in last January. But this did not repair the problem

    Then I tried the following KMail troubleshooting suggestions (from <https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/pim/...esnt-send-mail>)
    2. Quit KMail by using KRunner (Alt+F2) or Konsole and typing: kquitapp kmail. Wait a minute, then start KMail again. Now start akonadiconsole using KRunner (Alt+F2) or Konsole. Go to the Mail Dispatcher Agent, do a right-click and abort the current action. (...). Go back to KMail and choose File → Send Queued Messages.
    3. Quit KMail by using KRunner (Alt+F2) or Konsole and typing: kquitapp kmail. Wait a minute, then start KMail again. Now start akonadiconsole using KRunner (Alt+F2) or Konsole. Go to the Mail Dispatcher Agent, do a right-click and toggle the offline/online status of the Mail Dispatcher Agent.

    4. As these efforts did not bring anything, I compared port and login mode saved in KMail with the requirements of provider. There were different. Strange, I haven't changed them since almost two years ... I corrected them, but this did not apparently solve the problem.

    At the end I gave it up.
    A couple of day later Kmail was able the send news as it should. :-))

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: Kmail forgets send password

    Quote Originally Posted by geppino View Post
    At the end I gave it up.
    A couple of day later Kmail was able the send news as it should. :-))
    Maybe, your ISP (E-Mail provider) needed some time to notice that, your connection attempts were no longer using incorrect login modes and ports …

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Kmail forgets send password

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Maybe, your ISP (E-Mail provider) needed some time to notice that, your connection attempts were no longer using incorrect login modes and ports …
    Hello dcurtisfra,

    ... or KDE needs more starts to implement new settings.
    In fact, in the KDE troubleshooting (source: https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/pim/...ap-folder.html) is written:
    Often, a few restarts seem to be needed. It is unclear what is the reason for this, (...)
    But also:
    ... but on bad network connections it (not sending messages, EN) is more likely to happen
    And exactly I have in the last weeks an extremely slow internet connection.

    How can I set the item as SOLVED?

    Thanks a lot!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: Kmail forgets send password

    Quote Originally Posted by geppino View Post
    How can I set the item as SOLVED?
    We can't – at the very last resort, an administrator can “close” a discussion thread – otherwise, it remains open – which is, for many technical issues, reasonable …

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •