Thread: Unofficial driver for any Linux for the "Highpoint RocketRaid 232x"! (up to kernel 4.19 at least)

Lightbulb Unofficial driver for any Linux for the "Highpoint RocketRaid 232x"! (up to kernel 4.19 at least)

For the original post, please look here: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...!-(kernel-4-x)

I got a PM that the last posted driver patch does not work on newer kernels. Yeah, they changed quite a bit...

Anywho, I asked my helpful brother if he could take a look at it again and ... he did!! :-)

But I can only say: I cannot test the latest two drivers (4.15 / 4.17)!! I'm still on an older kernel!
    That means, compile the driver and first mount the Raid with "-o ro" and see if you can access & read from the device. If that goes well, then mount it normally and take a larger file like an .iso, create a MD5 hash, copy it onto the raid device and compare the MD5 hashes! I guess that's all you can do to check if it should work...

My brothers obligatory disclaimer:
    "I cannot accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system which may occur as a result of using this (heavily) patched RocketRAID driver."

Kernel <4.15 (tested, working)

Kernel 4.15 - 4.16 (not tested)
    • Only a more-or-less simple Timer-Interface patch was needed for this one; thanks to Yuri Chernyavsky for his work on the rr64x driver!
    • Use this driver: Google-Drive

Kernel 4.17 - ? (not tested)
    • This one's more "beta", as those suckers practically removed the old SCSI interface (out with the old, in with the new I guess). So be extra careful in testing this one!!
    • Use this driver: Google-Drive

HowTo
    The first three are only needed for the older 4.4x driver patch!

1. extract the official driver source:

• tar xf rr232x-linux-src-v1.10-090716-0928.tar.gz

2. extract and apply the patch:

• tar xf rr232x-kernel-4-x-patch.tar.bz2
      • patch -s -p0 <rr232x-kernel-4-x.patch

3. extract OpenSuse 4.4.x patch:

• tar xf os_linux.tar.bz2
      • mv os_linux.c rr232x-linux-src-v1.10/osm/linux/

4. compile the driver:
      • cd rr232x-linux-src-v1.10/product/rr232x/linux/
      • make

5. and of course, copy the module and do an update:
      • cp -a rr232x.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/
      • depmod

If you are using one of the newer drivers and it's working for you, PLEASE post it here or at least send me a PM!
    Thank you :-)

Cheers!
    Last edited by dlder; 04-Mar-2019 at 01:30. Reason: formating

Default Re: Unofficial driver for any Linux for the "Highpoint RocketRaid 232x"! (up to kernel 4.19 at least

Addendum:

Hm, not being able to change my own thread is quite the downer...

Kernel 4.15 - 4.16 (not tested)
    • This is the untested version with
      Yuri Chernyavsky's changes

• rr232x-kernel-4-15-patched.tar.bz2 = rr232x-linux-src-v1.10-090716-0928.tar.gz + rr232x-kernel-4-x-patch.tar.bz2 + rr232x-timer.patch + Yuri Chernyavskys 'do_sem_wait()'-fFunction

But if someone is interested in a more tried and true variant, this one is for you:
    Kernel 4.15 - 4.16 (tested)

Kernel 4.17 - ? (not tested)

Default Re: Unofficial driver for any Linux for the "Highpoint RocketRaid 232x"! (up to kernel 4.19 at least

A quick update:

Kernel 4.17 - ? (tested)

I've got a confirmation email by a user, that he has been using this driver without any problems for several weeks now! Thanks mate!!