Unofficial driver for any Linux for the "Highpoint RocketRaid 232x"! (up to kernel 4.19 at least)

For the original post, please look here: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/519259-Here-is-an-unofficial-driver-patch-for-the-quot-RocketRaid-232x-quot-!-(kernel-4-x)
[HR][/HR]
I got a PM that the last posted driver patch does not work on newer kernels. Yeah, they changed quite a bit…

Anywho, I asked my helpful brother if he could take a look at it again and … he did!! :slight_smile:

But I can only say: I cannot test the latest two drivers (4.15 / 4.17)!! I’m still on an older kernel!
That means, compile the driver and first mount the Raid with “-o ro” and see if you can access & read from the device. If that goes well, then mount it normally and take a larger file like an .iso, create a MD5 hash, copy it onto the raid device and compare the MD5 hashes! I guess that’s all you can do to check if it should work…

My brothers obligatory disclaimer:
"I cannot accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system which may occur as a result of using this (heavily) patched RocketRAID driver."

Kernel <4.15 (tested, working)

• Use this driver: Google-Drive
  • If you use OpenSuse, you most likely will need this patch too (I know I did): Google-Drive

Kernel 4.15 - 4.16 (not tested)

• Only a more-or-less simple Timer-Interface patch was needed for this one; thanks to Yuri Chernyavsky for his work on the rr64x driver!

Kernel 4.17 - ? (not tested)

• This one’s more “beta”, as those suckers practically removed the old SCSI interface (out with the old, in with the new I guess). So be extra careful in testing this one!!

**HowTo
***The first three are only needed for the older 4.4x driver patch!

1. extract the official driver source:
  • tar xf rr232x-linux-src-v1.10-090716-0928.tar.gz
  1. extract and apply the patch:
  • tar xf rr232x-kernel-4-x-patch.tar.bz2

• patch -s -p0 <rr232x-kernel-4-x.patch

1. extract OpenSuse 4.4.x patch:
  • tar xf os_linux.tar.bz2

• mv os_linux.c rr232x-linux-src-v1.10/osm/linux/

1. compile the driver:
  • cd rr232x-linux-src-v1.10/product/rr232x/linux/

• make

1. and of course, copy the module and do an update:
  • cp -a rr232x.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/

• depmod

If you are using one of the newer drivers and it’s working for you, PLEASE post it here or at least send me a PM!
Thank you :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Addendum:

Hm, not being able to change my own thread is quite the downer…

Kernel 4.15 - 4.16* (not tested)*****

• This is the untested version with [LEFT]Yuri Chernyavsky’s changes
    [/LEFT]

[LIST]

• rr232x-kernel-4-15-patched.tar.bz2 =
    rr232x-linux-src-v1.10-090716-0928.tar.gz + rr232x-kernel-4-x-patch.tar.bz2 + rr232x-timer.patch + Yuri Chernyavskys ‘do_sem_wait()’-fFunction

[/LIST]

But if someone is interested in a more tried and true variant, this one is for you:
Kernel 4.15 - 4.16 (tested)

[/LIST]

Kernel 4.17 - ? (not tested)

A quick update:

Kernel 4.17 - ? (tested)

I’ve got a confirmation email by a user, that he has been using this driver without any problems for several weeks now! Thanks mate!!