Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to ex-/import passwords from Firefox

Default How to ex-/import passwords from Firefox

I still have a Firefox 50.1.0 running (on openSUSE 13.1) and want to export the sign-on data for websites (account/password) to import them on Firefox 60.5.0esr (on openSUSE 15.0). I clicked everyware (IMHO), but I could only find and ex-/import functionality for Favourites.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: How to ex-/import passwords from Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I still have a Firefox 50.1.0 running (on openSUSE 13.1) and want to export the sign-on data for websites (account/password) to import them on Firefox 60.5.0esr (on openSUSE 15.0). I clicked everyware (IMHO), but I could only find and ex-/import functionality for Favourites.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/password-manager-remember-delete-change-and-import https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...le#w_passwords

AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Thanks.

My conclusions:
    1. there is no Export function;
    2. there is only an Import on MS Windows (rather superfluous conclusion when you have no export).

Nice, very nice
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Thanks.

My conclusions:
    1. there is no Export function;
    2. there is only an Import on MS Windows (rather superfluous conclusion when you have no export).

Nice, very nice
    Here you go, this should export your passwords so they can be imported elsewhere.
    I expect that the decision not to officially support an export functionality was made for security reasons.

https://github.com/kspearrin/ff-password-exporter

If it's not clear, the app is written to be distributed as an AppImage app (similar to Flatpak), but especially on Linux can be simply run as a NodeJS app.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure that it is the file "signons.sqlite" in the profile directory. But it may also use "key4.db" if you are having firefox keep them encrypted (use a master key). However, back at firefox 50.1.0, it was "key3.db" rather than "key4.db". And I don't know whether that sqlite database file has changed between 50.1.0 and now.

If it were me, here's what I would do:

(1) create a whole new profile for firefox 60.5.0esr.
    (2) copy the complete profile directory from 50.1.0 to the new profile directory
    (3) startup firefox using that new profile. It should recognize the old profile and update it to the new requirements.
    (4) copy the needed file from the new profile directory to your standard one.
    (5) delete that new profile.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Here you go, this should export your passwords so they can be imported elsewhere.
    I expect that the decision not to officially support an export functionality was made for security reasons.

https://github.com/kspearrin/ff-password-exporter

If it's not clear, the app is written to be distributed as an AppImage app (similar to Flatpak), but especially on Linux can be simply run as a NodeJS app.

TSU
    Good hint!

I went there and it says that the product works with FF 58+. So it seems that I waited too long, completeley my fault.

In any case, thanks again for the trouble you took to answer.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it is the file "signons.sqlite" in the profile directory. But it may also use "key4.db" if you are having firefox keep them encrypted (use a master key). However, back at firefox 50.1.0, it was "key3.db" rather than "key4.db". And I don't know whether that sqlite database file has changed between 50.1.0 and now.

If it were me, here's what I would do:

(1) create a whole new profile for firefox 60.5.0esr.
    (2) copy the complete profile directory from 50.1.0 to the new profile directory
    (3) startup firefox using that new profile. It should recognize the old profile and update it to the new requirements.
    (4) copy the needed file from the new profile directory to your standard one.
    (5) delete that new profile.
    Sounds like something that could work.

I hesitate between trying this, or just start using the new environment adding a few of the most used simlply manualy. The old system is on different hardware, thus I can always (at least for some monthes) switch it on and look what the uid/passwd were for that site. Some more work, but a all old stuff will be gone then. A clean start is a good thing very 10 years or so.

Thanks for taking the trouble to think out this scenario.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    I forgot to comment on this reamrk.

I assume you are correct, it came to my mind also.
    FF could have addressed that easy enough by saying so in the link posted above. I guess most people would understand such reason.
    OTOH the support the fact that Chrome can do it, not very consistent
    Henk van Velden

Sounds like something that could work.

I hesitate between trying this, or just start using the new environment adding a few of the most used simlply manualy. The old system is on different hardware, thus I can always (at least for some monthes) switch it on and look what the uid/passwd were for that site. Some more work, but a all old stuff will be gone then. A clean start is a good thing very 10 years or so.

Thanks for taking the trouble to think out this scenario.
    Mozilla is pretty clueless when it comes to merging profiles locally: https://superuser.com/questions/1329...omputers-ff-57

I created a new empty profile, deleted key4.db and copied the from the old key3.db and logins.json. The following indeed decrypts the old data:

Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> /home/karl/Downloads/software/firefox_decrypt-master/firefox_decrypt.py
    Select the Firefox profile you wish to decrypt
    1 -> 0btr9gvr.default-1472189842958
    2 -> smxz2b9b.test
    3 -> 34fbnmm2.2009
    Choice:
    https://github.com/unode/firefox_decrypt
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Thanks Karl. More info to digest.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast