Black screen after first reboot during installation, and every reboot thereafter

Hi,

I’ve installed OpenSUSE from a USB stick onto a Thecus W4000 machine which has a quad core Intel Atom, 2GB RAM, a 120GB SSD with 3 x 1TB SATA drives, and 2 x 1GB Ethernet, both connected. I followed the guided install, allowing the installer to partition the disks however it chose. I chose the Server install option.
All went well, until it needed to reboot. Then after it had rebooted, the screen went black, no display, and so I couldn’t do anything with it.

Now looking at the DHCP server, it doesn’t appear to have picked up an IP address. When I switch it off and back on, I see the green OpenSUSE menu, (USB stick removed) and when it starts to boot to Leap 15, the screen goes black again.

All advice gratefully received,
Steve

When exactly is “after reboot”? Immediately after POSTing? After making a selection at the Grub menu? Later still? What’s the last thing you see before black?

I might not be much help, because I know there are some limitations on Atom I’m not familiar with. And, I have no experience with “cloud” or iSCSI devices. Until someone comes along with better info, here’s what I would first try if you get as far as the Grub menu:

1-at the boot menu after POSTing, strike the e key, navigate to the line that starts with linux or linuxefi (it may be wrapped), and append

3 plymouth.enable=0

to it
2-proceed to boot. I hope instead of fancy graphics or just plain black you’ll get a bunch of boot messages and then a command prompt. If you do, then
3-login as root
4-

zypper rm xf86-video-intel

5-try a normal boot

If the process is no help, instead or in addition, append

nomodeset

as instructed in the above 1-5.

Hi,

I tried those suggestions, appending the code to the linuxefi line. Unfortunately it made no difference, either one or the other, or a combination.

I video recorded the boot process, so I could see exactly what was flashing upon the screen.

The grub menu appears, then I see the following:

“Booting ‘openSUSE Leap 15.0’”
But if I edited the command, it says:
“Booting a command list”
The next 2 lines read
“Loading Linux 4.12.14-1p150.11-default …”
“Loading initial ramdisk …”
Then the screen clears, I see a flashing cursor at top left for a second, then this text appears for a fraction of a second:
" 4.211122] gma500 0000:00:02.0: GPU: power management timed out."
The number inside the square brackets appears to be random. I have also seen:
" 4.350986] gma500 0000:00:02.0: GPU: power management timed out."
and
" 4.215141] gma500 0000:00:02.0: GPU: power management timed out."
and
" 4.140580] gma500 0000:00:02.0: GPU: power management timed out."

Then the screen goes black, the monitor flags up that there’s no signal, and that’s that.
I’ve had a look in the BIOS, I can’t see any settings relating to video apart from one which would allow me to choose a dedicated video card if there was one (there isn’t, and I don’t think there’s space to fit one).

Thanks for your help,
Steve

Ok so I did a little bit of googling and found this problem is fairly common. E.g.:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2250571
I blacklisted the driver in grub and now I have logged in as root. :slight_smile:
Now to continue setting it up, I hope!

Never log into a GUI as root!!!

All setup can be done as regular user supplying root password as needed.

Hi,

Yes, I am aware of the need to log on as an ordinary user. I was logging onto the prompt that appeared after I disabled the graphics driver. It wasn’t a GUI. I think I need to reinstall now anyway, in order to complete the installation process. To be honest I didn’t know what to expect, I’ve never set up an openSUSE server before. I wasn’t expecting a GUI, doesn’t it run headless usually? I’ll have to check the docs now.

Thanks,
Steve

Also my view: “User Interface: Server” should mean “Text Mode” – no GUI …

• I’ll install to a VM from the boxed openSUSE DVD and report back on this issue.
  • I suspect that, we’ll also have to address this issue when Beta-Testing Leap 15.1 …

@steveblakemore:

I’ve installed openSUSE Leap 15.0 from the boxed DVD into an Oracle VirtualBox VM – UEFI; ext4 system partition; XFS home partition; enough swap for system hibernation; “Server” (Text Mode).

• It boots to Text mode.
  • The systemd default Target is “multi-user.target”.
  • There isn’t any GUI installed, anywhere …

Did you, during installation:

• Check that, the online Repositories where correctly configured and, available?
  • Check that, only the basic system, enhanced base system, AppArmour, YaST and Software Management patterns were installed?

Hi dcurtisfra,

Sorry for the delay in replying.
I also did a virtual install, and it worked fine. There was nothing wrong with the download, or the choices I made during installation. It was all to do with the graphics driver gma500. Blacklisting that solved the issue, and text mode worked fine then, installing to my hardware. There is a very basic display on this machine. As mrmazda said, it might be a limitation of the Atom processor.

Thanks to all for your help, :slight_smile:
Steve

The Intel PowerVR GMA 500 Linux driver present in the current Leap 15.0 Kernel only supports 2D acceleration - since 2011 …
And, I see that, the box is a NAS server which had Windows Storage Server 2012 running on it, with HDMI and VGA interfaces for media streaming …