Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: efibootmgr won't print additional information

  1. #21

    Exclamation Re: efibootmgr won't print additional information

    Hi all,

    The actions you describe for the problems are already covered by openQA. So, I assume the bugs appear when performing this actions on a specific environment. I have added those actions on a UEFI+NET_installer and Legacy+NET_Installer environment (they will appear on the next snapshot under this job group: https://openqa.opensuse.org/group_overview/38).
    But, I assume they will not fail, so, we will still not be able to identify and resolve the issue.

    The screenshot you showed are good to understand the problem but does't help to understand and investigate the causes. We need that you provide logs so we can investigate.
    In Yast team words: "yast installation logs, or it did't happen"





    Thanks, and have fun!

  2. #22

    Default Re: efibootmgr won't print additional information

    Quote Originally Posted by duncreg View Post
    It's not possible, as confirmed by me and everyone else reporting the problem. There are missing files on the ISOs/repositories, as specified in the error message screenshots I displayed.

    I didn't demand anyone do anything. I simply pointed out that the problem is reproducible.

    Is that why I went through the trouble of obtaining screenshots of the error message the installer spits out before it drops into the generic error screen? As far as I know, I'm the first/only person who managed to get the error message; it doesn't display before dropping into the error screen. I tried switching to different consoles today on a hunch and found the error message on one of the screens and then grabbed the shot.

    If you refer to autoinst.xml, control.xml, license.tar.gz, info.txt, part.info, README.BETA, driverupdate

    Actually, those missing files are not needed to install. They are all extras. So, actually it is a bad debug output. It isn't actually an error. It is still there because nobody has taken the time to report it as a bug. I you care about it, please report a yast bug with Yast logs asking for a less scaring information. Like using "Info: autoinst.xml not present", instead of "error 37: could't open... 404"

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    888

    Default Re: efibootmgr won't print additional information

    Quote Originally Posted by SLindoMansilla View Post
    Hi all,

    The actions you describe for the problems are already covered by openQA. So, I assume the bugs appear when performing this actions on a specific environment. I have added those actions on a UEFI+NET_installer and Legacy+NET_Installer environment (they will appear on the next snapshot under this job group: https://openqa.opensuse.org/group_overview/38).
    But, I assume they will not fail, so, we will still not be able to identify and resolve the issue.

    The screenshot you showed are good to understand the problem but does't help to understand and investigate the causes. We need that you provide logs so we can investigate.
    In Yast team words: "yast installation logs, or it did't happen"





    Thanks, and have fun!
    Just to make I understood correctly: Would submitting that file on the USB stick be fine?

    Code:
    erlangen:~ # ll /run/media/karl/cow/rw/var/log/YaST2/y2log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 175056 Feb 26 21:38 /run/media/karl/cow/rw/var/log/YaST2/y2log
    erlangen:~ #
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,346
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: efibootmgr won't print additional information

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Just to make I understood correctly: Would submitting that file on the USB stick be fine?
    To submit logs:

    1: Run an install, until the point where the problem happens.

    2: Use CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to a command line.

    3: Run the command "save_y2logs". It will tell you the filename where it saved the logs.

    4: Mount a partition (or a USB) somewhere and save that file to what you just mounted.

    5: CTRL-ALT-F7 gets you back to the GUI where you can abort the install in the usual way (power-off also works for that).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    888

    Default Re: efibootmgr won't print additional information

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    To submit logs:

    1: Run an install, until the point where the problem happens.

    2: Use CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to a command line.

    3: Run the command "save_y2logs". It will tell you the filename where it saved the logs.

    4: Mount a partition (or a USB) somewhere and save that file to what you just mounted.

    5: CTRL-ALT-F7 gets you back to the GUI where you can abort the install in the usual way (power-off also works for that).
    Done? https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/49010
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,346
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: efibootmgr won't print additional information

    An addendum to that last reply:

    The iso that you boot for installing, is designed for use as a CD or DVD. So it is assumed read-only, and logs are written to elsewhere -- typically a ramdisk overlay.

    If you are using a live DVD or live CD image, wrote that to a USB and installed that way: In that case, there was probably an extra partition made on the USB drive (a "hybrid" partition). And the logs are saved there should work. As far as I know, that only works with live media. A NET installer or a DVD installer does not create or use a hybrid partition as far as I know. But I don't know how you did your install, so maybe the path you listed would work (does it have the right date?).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    888

    Default Re: efibootmgr won't print additional information

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    An addendum to that last reply:

    The iso that you boot for installing, is designed for use as a CD or DVD. So it is assumed read-only, and logs are written to elsewhere -- typically a ramdisk overlay.

    If you are using a live DVD or live CD image, wrote that to a USB and installed that way: In that case, there was probably an extra partition made on the USB drive (a "hybrid" partition). And the logs are saved there should work. As far as I know, that only works with live media. A NET installer or a DVD installer does not create or use a hybrid partition as far as I know. But I don't know how you did your install, so maybe the path you listed would work (does it have the right date?).
    Many thanks for helping. Bug is confirmed: https://progress.opensuse.org/issues...#change-198230
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    888

    Default Re: efibootmgr won't print additional information

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I have reported this as Bug 1127544 - efibootmgr is broken
    Fixed in 20190312.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,346
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: efibootmgr won't print additional information

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Fixed in 20190312.
    Good to see. I'll be updating to that shortly.

    Thanks.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: efibootmgr won't print additional information

    So, that is why It took me a week of trying different ISOs to re-install TW and every time except the last 20190307 DVD ISO I got those Installation failed errors.

    Code:
    cavsfan@openSUSE:~> sudo efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 0007
    Timeout: 1 seconds
    BootOrder: 0007,0000,0005,0006,0004,000A,0001,0003,000D,000E,000F,0002,0008,0009,000B
    Boot0000* Arch_grubCould not parse device path: Invalid argument
    I added myself to that bug making 5 total people but, why does it have a line through the title?
    Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Mobo: ASUSTeK, model: Z87-K, Mem: 16GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Series, HD: Western Digital 1TB SSD, OCZ 500GB SSD and a Toshiba 2TB SATA HD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •