Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How could I boot into openSUSE Tumbleweed (BtrFs) from Ubuntu Mate 18.10 (Ext4)

Question How could I boot into openSUSE Tumbleweed (BtrFs) from Ubuntu Mate 18.10 (Ext4)

hi guys,

I'm not able to boot into a fresh installation of openSUSE Tumbleweed (20190219, 64-bit ISO), thru GRUB2 which was installed earlier by Ubuntu Mate 18.10

I'm getting following error with quite a few options I've tried so far. I've installed Grub Customizer too in Ubuntu Mate.
    Code:
    Error: File `/boot/vmlinuz-4.20.7-1-default' not found.
    Error: You need to load the kernel first.
    While installing Tumbleweed from 64-bit DVD ISO, I've selected to (attaching a picture of this screen):
    Code:
    Install boot code into a partition with /boot
    Boot Loader Type: GRUB2
    Status location: /dev/sdb3 (/boot)
    Few options I've tried so far by editing sudo pluma "/etc/grub.d/40_custom" in Ubuntu Mate:
    Code:
    menuentry 'openSUSE Tumbleweed' {
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod btrfs
    set root=(hd0,msdos3)
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-4.20.7-1-default root=UUID=c5e369e1-d46a-48ad-b08e-6dd2a9b4d248  ${extra_cmdline} splash=silent resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/e9e79445-7a21-46a9-a77f-61efcecc7e2d quiet
    initrd    /boot/initrd-4.20.7-1-default
    }
    Code:
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod btrfs
    set root=(hd0,msdos3)
    configfile /boot/grub/grub.conf
    I can boot into Ubuntu Mate 18.10 (or Windows 10) just fine. PC setup:
    Code:
    First SSD:  /dev/sda1  Windows 10
    Second SSD: /dev/sdb1  Ubuntu Mate 18.10
                /dev/sdb3  openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Thanks alot in advance.

Default Re: How could I boot into openSUSE Tumbleweed (BtrFs) from Ubuntu Mate 18.10 (Ext4)

AFAIK the GRUB version installed with Ubuntu cannot read the disk layout of the btrfs partition formatted by openSUSE.
    You may try to boot your fresh Tumbleweed one way or another, for instance using the Tumbleweed install media and choosing "Boot Linux System" instead of "Install" etc.
    Then, once logged in Tumbleweed, run YaST2-Bootloader (just type "boot..." in the application menu and choose "Bootloader"), make sure that the "probe foreign OS" flag is ticked so that you will be able to boot Ubuntu (and others if installed), save and reboot.
    The openSUSE GRUB should be able to recognize whatever you have installed on your disk. If not so, ask again here, we are glad to help.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Default Re: How could I boot into openSUSE Tumbleweed (BtrFs) from Ubuntu Mate 18.10 (Ext4)

Quote Originally Posted by Jags_FL View Post
    hi guys,

I'm not able to boot into a fresh installation of openSUSE Tumbleweed (20190219, 64-bit ISO), thru GRUB2 which was installed earlier by Ubuntu Mate 18.10

I'm getting following error with quite a few options I've tried so far. I've installed Grub Customizer too in Ubuntu Mate.
    Code:
    Error: File `/boot/vmlinuz-4.20.7-1-default' not found.
    Error: You need to load the kernel first.
    While installing Tumbleweed from 64-bit DVD ISO, I've selected to (attaching a picture of this screen):
    Code:
    Few options I've tried so far by editing sudo pluma "/etc/grub.d/40_custom" in Ubuntu Mate:
    Code:
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod btrfs
    set root=(hd0,msdos3)
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-4.20.7-1-default root=UUID=c5e369e1-d46a-48ad-b08e-6dd2a9b4d248  ${extra_cmdline} splash=silent resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/e9e79445-7a21-46a9-a77f-61efcecc7e2d quiet
    }
    Code:
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod btrfs
    set root=(hd0,msdos3)
    I can boot into Ubuntu Mate 18.10 (or Windows 10) just fine. PC setup:
    Code:
    First SSD:  /dev/sda1  Windows 10
    Second SSD: /dev/sdb1  Ubuntu Mate 18.10
                /dev/sdb3  openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Thanks alot in advance.
    Updated to Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS (Bionic Beaver) a few minutes ago. The following entry was created for Tumbleweed:
    Code:
    menuentry 'openSUSE Tumbleweed (auf /dev/sda3)' --class opensuse --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-simple-dbc33c75-0fbb-4619-add6-d204ecf63a43' {
            insmod part_gpt
            insmod ext2
            set root='hd0,gpt3'
            if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt3 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt3 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt3  dbc33c75-0fbb-4619-add6-d204ecf63a43
            else
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root dbc33c75-0fbb-4619-add6-d204ecf63a43
            fi
            linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.5-1-default root=UUID=dbc33c75-0fbb-4619-add6-d204ecf63a43 resume=/dev/nvme0n1p1 splash=silent quiet showopts
            initrd /boot/initrd-4.14.5-1-default
    }
    Booted from Ubuntu into Tumbleweed successfully. When installing multiple OSs EFI is highly recommended. For minimum hassle use ext4 for Tumbleweed. As an alternative you may use chain loading:

Code:
    erlangen:~ # cat /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry 'Tumbleweed /dev/sdb3' {
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 4A24-B10D 
        chainloader /EFI/opensuse/grubx64.efi
    }

menuentry 'Xubuntu 18.04 /dev/sdb2' {
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 6DEC-64F9
        chainloader /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
    }

menuentry 'Fedora 29 /dev/nvme0n1p1' {
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 6DEC-64F9
        chainloader /EFI/fedora/grubx64.efi
    }
    erlangen:~ #
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

I think your grub entry for opensuse should be "set root=(hd2,msdos3)" on the 5th line.

edit: too late. Your post just beat mine.
    Pete

Blog Entries

Just some comments. Feel free to ignore if they are not helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jags_FL View Post
    hi guys,
    Code:
    That tells me that you are using legacy BIOS booting, and not UEFI booting.

Code:
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod btrfs
    set root=(hd0,msdos3)
    }
    How do you know that this is disk "hd0" rather than "hd1"? Have you tried with "hd1"?

It might be a better idea to use the UUID to identify the disk that you are trying to boot. For that, replace the "set root=" line with
    Code:
    search --fs-uuid --set=root the-uuid-of-your-sdb3-partition-file-system-goes-here
    Code:
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod btrfs
    set root=(hd0,msdos3)
    When trying this, you would need "/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" rather than "/boot/grub/grub.conf"
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Exclamation Re: How could I boot into openSUSE Tumbleweed (BtrFs) from Ubuntu Mate 18.10 (Ext4)

@OrsoBruno @karlmistelberger @peteh100 and @nrickert

Thanks alot for the replies.

(1) First I tried "Boot Linux System" from openSUSE Tumbleweed live USB flash drive. As you can see in the pictures attached below, it was coming to a stop at:

[CODE]Started Locale Service[\CODE]

Left it there for 20 minutes, two times, same results.

(2) If I understand correctly, your openSUSE installation is on EXT4, right?

And yes, this HP PC is little old with legacy BIOS, and do not have UEFI.

Also yes, (in "/etc/grub.d/40_custom") I have tried setting root=UUID; HD0, HD1 with all possible combination of partition numbers too.

Now I have not tried this yet: "/boot/grub2/grub.cfg". So gonna try it and will report back.

Thanks again all of you
    Last edited by Jags_FL; 28-Feb-2019 at 08:14. Reason: Removed a picture

Exclamation Re: How could I boot into openSUSE Tumbleweed (BtrFs) from Ubuntu Mate 18.10 (Ext4)

Alright I tried: "configfile /boot/grub/grub.conf" but the same results.

Also the way I quickly try all combinations of (hd0,msdos3) or (hd1,msdos3) and so on.. on the GRUB2 (Ubuntu Mate) screen, I select my custom entry of "openSUSE Tumbleweed", hit "e" to edit.

Then change hd or partition numbers and hit F10, and most of the times that screens just refreshes, I do not even get any error, if i use

Code:
    I get error only if i use:

Code:
    Last edited by Jags_FL; 28-Feb-2019 at 08:44. Reason: Formatting

Blog Entries

Boot from a Tumbleweed live iso and do:

Code:
    mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt
    mount -a
    yast
    then go System > Bootloader. Make sure "Probe for foreign OS" is checked, OK, OK, OK and reboot.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Actually, I think the line I picked out in my earlier post should be "set root=(hd1,msdos3)".
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Boot from a Tumbleweed live iso and do:

Code:
    mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt
    mount -a
    yast
    then go System > Bootloader. Make sure "Probe for foreign OS" is checked, OK, OK, OK and reboot.
    Thanks alot for the reply. So I followed this to the letter (screens are attached). After the reboot it was still GRUB2 from Ubuntu Mate 18.10.

So I downloaded new Tumbleweed ISO, 20190226. Prepared the flash drive again via Etcher in Ubuntu Mate. Formatted Tumbleweed partition again to BtrFs.
    And this time I selected to install boot code into MBR.

But installation settings screen was still showing that it's gonna install MBR into /dev/sdb. So I changed the "Disk Order Settings" and made /dev/sda first entry.

Installation went thru just fine but after the reboot, guess what... it was GRUB2 from Ubuntu Mate.

Though I was able to boot into openSUSE Tumbleweed by changing boot order of SSDs from BIOS.

So is there any way (for my next installation), I could install GRUB2 from openSUSE onto MBR of hd0 ? I know this would overwrite GRUB2 from Ubuntu Mate.

Thank you so much everyone

I think I can't insert more than five images, so here are the Imgur links for few more screens.

Code:
    https://i.imgur.com/vPag5qg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PNNgceC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ATqwPsq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S3nZLph.jpg
    Last edited by Jags_FL; 28-Feb-2019 at 13:58. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast