Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YAST2 broken after zypper dup

Default YAST2 broken after zypper dup

Hi,

After what I thought would be a routine zypper dup last night Yast no longer works. I can open yast after entering the root password, but none of yast's modules open when I click on them. For example, here's what happens when I try to open the yast software repositories module after starting yast from a terminal:

Code:
    yast2
    QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
    Run command: /sbin/yast2 repositories &
    /sbin/yast2: /usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2start: /usr/bin/ruby.ruby2.6: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
    Any advice would be appreciated. I tried running zypper dup again but all the packages are up to date, supposedly.

Default Re: YAST2 broken after zypper dup

Quote Originally Posted by gannicus View Post
    Code:
    /sbin/yast2: /usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2start: /usr/bin/ruby.ruby2.6: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
    Having had my eye on those SuSE Lizards doing YaST development sprints, I don't think they support Ruby 2.6 for running YaST2. Try installing Ruby 2.5 and run YaST with that Ruby version.

If you really need Ruby 2.6, use a version manager like rvm or rbenv as recommended by user Tsu2 over here on another active forum thread about Ruby versions.

I find it puzzling, though, that something like »zypper dup« just clobbers a vital YaST dependency. (At the same time I hope this is the problem here, because it would be an easy fix. Fingers crossed.)

It works well for me, I have these Ruby packages
    Code:
    sudo zypper in libruby2_5-2 libruby2_6-2_6 _5  libstorage-ng-ruby  ruby  ruby-common  ruruby2.5  ruby2.5-stdlib ruby2.6  ruby2.6-rubygem-abstract_method  ruby2.6-rubygem-cfa  ruby2.6-rubygem-cfa_grub2  ruby2.6-rubygem-cheetah  ruby2.6-rubygem-fast_gettext  ruby2.6-rubygem-gem2rpm  ruby2.6-rubygem-ruby-augeas ruby2.6-rubygem-ruby-dbus  ruby2.6-rubygem-simpleidn  ruby2.6-rubygem-unf   ruby2.6-rubygem-unf_ext  yast2-ruby-bindings
    Be careful that you scroll the CODE because there is a part that you can not see
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .

Code:
    sudo zypper in   libstorage-ng-ruby  ruby  ruby-common  ruby2.5  ruby2.5-stdlib ruby2.6  ruby2.6-rubygem-abstract_method  ruby2.6-rubygem-cfa  ruby2.6-rubygem-cfa_grub2  ruby2.6-rubygem-cheetah  ruby2.6-rubygem-fast_gettext  ruby2.6-rubygem-gem2rpm  ruby2.6-rubygem-ruby-augeas ruby2.6-rubygem-ruby-dbus  ruby2.6-rubygem-simpleidn  ruby2.6-rubygem-unf   ruby2.6-rubygem-unf_ext  yast2-ruby-bindings
    There was a mistake before

Thanks for the suggestions--I installed the suggested packages but Yast is still not working:

Code:
    yast2
    QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
    I'm not a developer so I don't need Ruby apart from whatever function it serves in allowing Yast to run. Can I uninstall Ruby and then reinstall version 2.5?

So
    Terminal >
    Code:
    su -c yast2

Thanks for your reply:

Code:
    su -c yast2
    Password: 
    QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0
    QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0

Blog Entries

Thanks for your reply:

Code:
    su -c yast2
    Password: 
    I get the same, but without that last line. And it works.

I notice that "/usr/bin/ruby.ruby2.6" has a recent date. It was probably installed or updated on yesterday's update. Checking on another Tumbleweed that I have not yet updated, I see that file is not there.

Somehow you managed to update Yast but failed to install a required dependency.

How are you doing updates?

By the way, you can probably fix this with:
    Code:
    zypper in ruby2.6
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

How are you doing updates?
    I always use zypper dup

Code:
    zypper in ruby2.6
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    'ruby2.6' is already installed.
    No update candidate for 'ruby2.6-2.6.1-1.2.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
    Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.
    Puzzling. Yast is still broken.

Blog Entries

Code:
    'ruby2.6' is already installed.
    What's the output of
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/bin/ruby.ruby2.6
    If that file exists, then what's the output from