Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: No sound Card Detected

  1. #1

    Question No sound Card Detected

    We are testing a Lenovo Thinkpad 720q and we cannot start sound on openSUSE 42.3. We identified that it has an realtek ALC233 sound chipset, but could not find how to make 42.3 identify it. Even when we update it , this sound card is not detected. Please any help on these subjetc?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    19,708
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No sound Card Detected

    Quote Originally Posted by LeandroDiaz View Post
    We are testing a Lenovo Thinkpad 720q and we cannot start sound on openSUSE 42.3. We identified that it has an realtek ALC233 sound chipset, but could not find how to make 42.3 identify it. Even when we update it , this sound card is not detected. Please any help on these subjetc?
    Welcome to openSUSE Forums.

    Start by sharing the hardware details please.
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --sound
    *When posting the output, please enclose within CODE tags to preserve formatting (refer to the '#' button in the forum editor)

    A good idea to review the following troubleshooting guide as well...
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Audio_troubleshooting

    In particular, there is a diagnostic script (alsa-info.sh) that can be run to collect information about any audio hardware detected in a given system. That output is uploaded to an online server and the link to it can be posted here, so that others may be able to advise further.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    26,461
    Blog Entries
    36

    Default Re: No sound Card Detected

    Quote Originally Posted by LeandroDiaz View Post
    We are testing a Lenovo Thinkpad 720q and we cannot start sound on openSUSE 42.3. We identified that it has an realtek ALC233 sound chipset, but could not find how to make 42.3 identify it. Even when we update it , this sound card is not detected. Please any help on these subjetc?
    What does "even when we update it" mean? Update what?

    Its possible the kernel that comes with Leap-42.3 (4.4.76 kernel) does not adequately support that hardware. I recall back in 2017 of a user with an ALC233 failing to get sound to work.

    I note there was an update to Leap-42.3
    Code:
    The openSUSE Leap 42.3 kernel was updated to 4.4.132 to receive various security and bugfixes.
    ...
    - alsa: hda/realtek - Add some fixes for ALC233 (bnc#1012382).
    Do you have the latest 42.3 kernel?

    I have read sound works with the 4.15 kernel ... I don't know enough to say if it fully works with earlier kernels. Note Leap-15 comes with a 4.12.14 kernel, and tumbleweed with a ~4.20.6 kernel.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 12-Feb-2019 at 17:41.

  4. #4

    Post Re: No sound Card Detected

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Welcome to openSUSE Forums.

    Start by sharing the hardware details please.
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --sound
    *When posting the output, please enclose within CODE tags to preserve formatting (refer to the '#' button in the forum editor)

    A good idea to review the following troubleshooting guide as well...
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Audio_troubleshooting

    In particular, there is a diagnostic script (alsa-info.sh) that can be run to collect information about any audio hardware detected in a given system. That output is uploaded to an online server and the link to it can be posted here, so that others may be able to advise further.
    Thanks for your quick answer. I post the results of all commands as requested:

    Code:
       linux-kh63:~ # uname -a
    Linux linux-kh63 4.4.172-86-default #1 SMP Fri Feb 1 06:14:18 UTC 2019 (62e27f4) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Code:
       linux-kh63:~ # hwinfo --sound
    20: PCI 1f.3: 0403 Audio device                                 
      [Created at pci.378]
      Unique ID: nS1_.3L+mJwXrPS4
      SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3
      SysFS BusID: 0000:00:1f.3
      Hardware Class: sound
      Device Name: "Onboard - Sound"
      Model: "Intel Audio device"
      Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
      Device: pci 0xa348 
      SubVendor: pci 0x17aa "Lenovo"
      SubDevice: pci 0x312d 
      Revision: 0x10
      Memory Range: 0xb1330000-0xb1333fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
      Memory Range: 0xb1000000-0xb10fffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
      IRQ: 11 (no events)
      Module Alias: "pci:v00008086d0000A348sv000017AAsd0000312Dbc04sc03i80"
      Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
    Code:
       linux-kh63:~ # lspci -nnk
    00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3e1f] (rev 08)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:3e91]
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:08.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Skylake Gaussian Mixture Model [8086:1911]
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a36d] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
        Kernel modules: xhci_pci
    00:14.2 RAM memory [0500]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a36f] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:15.0 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a368] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:15.1 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a369] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a360] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:17.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a352] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci
    00:1b.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a32c] (rev f0)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a33d] (rev f0)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:1e.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a328] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a308] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a348] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:1f.4 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a323] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a324] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V [8086:15bc] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
        Kernel driver in use: e1000e
        Kernel modules: e1000e
    01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device [144d:a804]
        Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device [144d:a801]
        Kernel driver in use: nvme
        Kernel modules: nvme
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Plus Bluetooth [8086:3166] (rev 99)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:4210]
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
        Kernel modules: iwlwifi
    As for the alsa-info.sh , it did not provide me a link to a web, so I post the full result here:

    Code:
       upload=true&script=true&cardinfo=
    !!################################
    !!ALSA Information Script v 0.4.64
    !!################################
    
    !!Script ran on: Thu Feb  7 07:47:48 UTC 2019
    
    
    !!Linux Distribution
    !!------------------
    
    Welcome to openSUSE Leap 42.3 - Kernel \r (\l). openSUSE 42.3 (x86_64) # /etc/SuSE-release is deprecated and will be removed in the future, use /etc/os-release instead NAME="openSUSE Leap" ID=opensuse ID_LIKE="suse" PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Leap 42.3" CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:leap:42.3" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org" HOME_URL="https://www.opensuse.org/"
    
    
    !!DMI Information
    !!---------------
    
    Manufacturer:      LENOVO
    Product Name:      10T8S1QB00
    Product Version:   ThinkCentre M720q
    Firmware Version:  M1UKT18A
    Board Vendor:      LENOVO
    Board Name:        312D
    
    
    !!ACPI Device Status Information
    !!---------------
    
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/ACPI000C:00/status      15
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/INT33A1:00/status      15
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/INT340E:00/status      15
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/INT3F0D:00/status      15
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/LEN4001:00/status      15
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/LNXPOWER:00/status      15
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/LNXPOWER:01/status      1
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/LNXPOWER:02/status      1
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/LNXPOWER:03/status      1
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/LNXPOWER:04/status      1
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/LNXPOWER:05/status      1
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/LNXPOWER:06/status      1
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/MSFT0101:00/status      15
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0103:00/status      15
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C02:03/status      3
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C02:05/status      3
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C04:00/status      31
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C0C:00/status      15
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C0E:00/status      11
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C0F:00/status      11
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C0F:01/status      11
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C0F:02/status      11
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C0F:03/status      11
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C0F:04/status      11
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C0F:05/status      11
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C0F:06/status      11
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PNP0C0F:07/status      11
    /sys/bus/acpi/devices/PRP00001:00/status      11
    
    
    !!Kernel Information
    !!------------------
    
    Kernel release:    4.4.172-86-default
    Operating System:  GNU/Linux
    Architecture:      x86_64
    Processor:         x86_64
    SMP Enabled:       Yes
    
    
    !!ALSA Version
    !!------------
    
    Driver version:     k4.4.172-86-default
    Library version:    
    Utilities version:  1.1.4
    
    
    !!Loaded ALSA modules
    !!-------------------
    
    
    
    !!Sound Servers on this system
    !!----------------------------
    
    Pulseaudio:
          Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
          Running - Yes
    
    ESound Daemon:
          Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/esd)
          Running - No
    
    Jack:
          Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/jackd)
          Running - No
    
    
    !!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
    !!-----------------------------
    
    --- no soundcards ---
    
    
    !!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
    !!--------------------------------------
    
    00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device a348 (rev 10)
    
    
    !!Advanced information - PCI Vendor/Device/Subsystem ID's
    !!-------------------------------------------------------
    
    00:1f.3 0403: 8086:a348 (rev 10) (prog-if 80)
        Subsystem: 17aa:312d
    
    
    !!Loaded sound module options
    !!---------------------------
    
    
    !!ALSA Device nodes
    !!-----------------
    
    crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  1 Feb  7 04:42 /dev/snd/seq
    crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 Feb  7 04:42 /dev/snd/timer
    
    
    !!Aplay/Arecord output
    !!--------------------
    
    APLAY
    
    aplay: device_list:270: no soundcards found...
    
    ARECORD
    
    arecord: device_list:270: no soundcards found...
    
    !!Amixer output
    !!-------------
    
    
    !!Alsactl output
    !!--------------
    
    --startcollapse--
    --endcollapse--
    
    
    !!All Loaded Modules
    !!------------------
    
    Module
    fuse
    af_packet
    iscsi_ibft
    iscsi_boot_sysfs
    msr
    hid_generic
    usbhid
    intel_rapl
    x86_pkg_temp_thermal
    intel_powerclamp
    coretemp
    kvm_intel
    arc4
    kvm
    irqbypass
    crct10dif_pclmul
    crc32_pclmul
    crc32c_intel
    ghash_clmulni_intel
    iwlmvm
    drbg
    mac80211
    ansi_cprng
    iwlwifi
    aesni_intel
    btusb
    aes_x86_64
    btrtl
    lrw
    btbcm
    gf128mul
    glue_helper
    ablk_helper
    btintel
    bluetooth
    e1000e
    cfg80211
    pcspkr
    cryptd
    rfkill
    ptp
    pps_core
    shpchp
    video
    thermal
    fan
    wmi
    fjes
    acpi_pad
    processor
    button
    snd_hda_intel
    snd_hda_codec
    snd_hda_core
    snd_hwdep
    snd_pcm
    snd_seq
    snd_seq_device
    snd_timer
    snd
    soundcore
    ext4
    crc16
    jbd2
    mbcache
    ahci
    libahci
    libata
    nvme
    nvme_core
    xhci_pci
    xhci_hcd
    usbcore
    usb_common
    sg
    scsi_mod
    autofs4
    
    
    !!ALSA/HDA dmesg
    !!--------------


    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    Do you have the latest 42.3 kernel?

    I have read sound works with the 4.15 kernel ... I don't know enough to say if it fully works with earlier kernels. Note Leap-15 comes with a 4.12.14 kernel, and tumbleweed with a ~4.20.6 kernel.
    I updated both kernel and alsa and I still cannot solve the problem. You have data from commans above. Thanks.-

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    19,708
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No sound Card Detected

    As suspected there is no driver loaded. (The kernel is too old.)

    The audio chipset is reported as
    Code:
    Model: "Intel Audio device"
      Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
      Device: pci 0xa348
    Code:
    00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a348] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:312d]
    It is supported by the snd_hda_intel driver for kernel 4.12–4.20 onwards...
    https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/SND_HDA_INTEL.html

    For reference, I'm using openSUSE Leap 15 (with kernel version 4.12.14-lp150.12.45-default), and I get
    Code:
    # modinfo snd_hda_intel|grep -i A348
    alias:          pci:v00008086d0000A348sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    You say you upgraded the kernel, but you haven't demonstrated this definitively to us. Boot from the newer kernel and report back with output from
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --sound
    or
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 audio
    and verify the kernel version in use with
    Code:
    uname -r
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

  6. #6

    Post Re: No sound Card Detected

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post

    You say you upgraded the kernel, but you haven't demonstrated this definitively to us. Boot from the newer kernel and report back with output from
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --sound
    or
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 audio
    and verify the kernel version in use with
    Code:
    uname -r
    Dear deano_ferrari, in this particular PC we need to use openSUSE 42.3 , not openSUSE LEAP 15. As for kernel update I quoted the result after I applied an update for openSUSE 42.3 on the kernel and on alsa to the latest versions available for SUSE 42.3. The result was quoted correctly and is:

    Code:
    linux-kh63:~ # uname -a 
    Linux linux-kh63 4.4.172-86-default #1 SMP Fri Feb 1 06:14:18 UTC 2019 (62e27f4) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    The rest of the results I provided are same of previous reply, in which you will see that it also included the version of the kernel in use after update of SUSE 42.3 and has all the hardware info of this particular PC.
    The problem continues to evade me, the computer does not detect any sound card yet.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    19,708
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No sound Card Detected

    Quote Originally Posted by LeandroDiaz View Post
    Dear deano_ferrari, in this particular PC we need to use openSUSE 42.3 , not openSUSE LEAP 15. As for kernel update I quoted the result after I applied an update for openSUSE 42.3 on the kernel and on alsa to the latest versions available for SUSE 42.3.
    There is no problem using openSUSE Leap 42.3, but the kernel is too old as already explained. Iinstall a new kernel from the kernel:/HEAD repo...

    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard/ kernel-repo
    Code:
    zypper dist-upgrade -r kernel-repo
    The old kernel will still be available to boot from if needed for any reason, but now you should be able to boot from the new kernel via GRUB.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

  8. #8

    Thumbs up Re: No sound Card Detected

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    There is no problem using openSUSE Leap 42.3, but the kernel is too old as already explained. Iinstall a new kernel from the kernel:/HEAD repo...

    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard/ kernel-repo
    Code:
    zypper dist-upgrade -r kernel-repo
    The old kernel will still be available to boot from if needed for any reason, but now you should be able to boot from the new kernel via GRUB.
    Thanks, we did update to a newer kernel, in this case 4.20.1 and it worked. The PC now recognizes sound and network devices without having to install any driver.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    19,708
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No sound Card Detected

    Quote Originally Posted by LeandroDiaz View Post
    Thanks, we did update to a newer kernel, in this case 4.20.1 and it worked. The PC now recognizes sound and network devices without having to install any driver.
    Good result. Yes, the driver is included as part of the kernel (as with most hardware supported by Linux).
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    26,461
    Blog Entries
    36

    Default Re: No sound Card Detected

    Quote Originally Posted by LeandroDiaz View Post
    Thanks, we did update to a newer kernel, in this case 4.20.1 and it worked. The PC now recognizes sound and network devices without having to install any driver.
    Indeed. Good news.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •