Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: after last update kde 10 minutes to login and then slow responsive and hard disk always working

Default after last update kde 10 minutes to login and then slow responsive and hard disk always working

KDE 5.14.90, KDE framework 5.54.0, KDE application 18.12.1, kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.45 on laptop dell latitude E6510, ram 8GB, nvidia 3100M, using nouveau not nvidia drivers, cpu i7 Q 720
    after the last update KDE takes 1 minute from to insert password for login to first appearing the wallpaper with some *shadows* of panels, then 10 minutes to appear panels and three widget on the desktop and to start to be usable, when I start to use the hard disk start to run and never stop and kde result unusable and very slow responsive.
    can I do something to have a usable desktop??

Blog Entries

Default Re: after last update kde 10 minutes to login and then slow responsive and hard disk always working

I'm not having that problem. But then I'm using the regular Plasma from Leap 15.0 (5.12.6). It maybe take 1 minute from login for everything to show up. It does not take 10 minutes.

This is with a Dell Inspiron 660 and 8G of memory (Intel graphics).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Default Re: after last update kde 10 minutes to login and then slow responsive and hard disk always working

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm not having that problem. But then I'm using the regular Plasma from Leap 15.0 (5.12.6). It maybe take 1 minute from login for everything to show up. It does not take 10 minutes.

This is with a Dell Inspiron 660 and 8G of memory (Intel graphics).
    yes, my leap15 wit plasma 5.12.6 on the same hardware works well, and also another user on 5.14.90 doesn't takes 10 minutes.
    how can I reset kde 5.14.90 to standard?

Blog Entries

You can disable the extra repos, and then use
    Code:
    zypper dup
    You will probably get conflict about the need to change vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You can disable the extra repos, and then use
    Code:
    zypper dup
    You will probably get conflict about the need to change vendor.
    ...may be, but, if another user works better it should dipend on the user not on a general conflict, is there a way to reset as if it is a new user my plasma?

So it has the dual graphics card!
    The problem is from grub to login, or from login to active Desktop?
    You tried from the terminal to see what it says
    Code:
    systemd-analyze blame
    post the result

Then the login manager also changes, install lightdm-slick-greeter when you're done > terminal >
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    and choose lightdm > reboot
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

Blog Entries

Yes.

Code:
    rm -rf .cache
    rm -rf .local
    rm -rf .config
    You should do those while not logged in. You can login to Icewm or use CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a terminal login.

You might want to start with just ".cache". It's possible that clearing out cache, and allowing it to regenerate on the next login will fix the problem.

If that does not fix it, I would suggest move ".local" and ".config" to elsewhere. I usually create a directory named OLD and move them there. That way you can change your mind, or you can recover parts of the old directories as needed (kmail saved mail, for example).

Couldn't this be another manifestation of freespace on root partition being exhausted by unneeded old journal versions, or BTRFS snapshots or housekeeping?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    So it has the dual graphics card!
    no, it has only one graphic card
    Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    The problem is from grub to login, or from login to active Desktop?
    from login to active desktop
    You tried from the terminal to see what it says
    Code:
    systemd-analyze blame
    post the result

Then the login manager also changes, install lightdm-slick-greeter when you're done > terminal >
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager
    and choose lightdm > reboot[/QUOTE]manythanks, I'll try

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Couldn't this be another manifestation of freespace on root partition being exhausted by unneeded old journal versions, or BTRFS snapshots or housekeeping?
    ...I think not, I'm on ext3 and root and home partition are half free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast