Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Cannot switch users from Screen Lock anymore!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    274

    Default Cannot switch users from Screen Lock anymore!

    Hello,
    After the upgrade I did yesterday (and the relevant reboot since it had a new kernel), I cannot switch users when I lock the screen!
    I have no idea which packages where updated (I automatically install updates).
    Any ideas how to restore it?

    BTW, the SDDM has the "Offer Shutdown Option" enabled.
    And the shutdown options are not present as well.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    274

    Default Απ: Cannot switch users from Screen Lock anymore!

    Apparently the switch user capability is completely broken. I logged in with the second user I have in my PC and I used the "Switch User" widget I have for this user.
    I get this:


  3. #3

    Default Re: Cannot switch users from Screen Lock anymore!

    I have the same problem on fresh LEAP 15 install as of february 2109.
    I need the switch user capability bad.
    What's the fix?
    Move from SDDM to XDM? (How?), Move to GNOME? Hopefully not? Ditch Linux and go for M$ WIN10 (Extreme).

    Regards,
    Durque
    (KDE Plasma 5.15.3, KDE framework 5.56.0, Display manager (default) SDDM)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,333
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Cannot switch users from Screen Lock anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by durque View Post
    I have the same problem on fresh LEAP 15 install as of february 2109.
    I need the switch user capability bad.
    What's the fix?
    Move from SDDM to XDM? (How?), Move to GNOME? Hopefully not? Ditch Linux and go for M$ WIN10 (Extreme).

    Regards,
    Durque
    (KDE Plasma 5.15.3, KDE framework 5.56.0, Display manager (default) SDDM)
    Is your Leap 15.0 install completely up to date?
    Are you on Wayland or Xorg?
    Does it work for a newly created user? If so, it would mean some setting in your homedir.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5

    Default Re: Cannot switch users from Screen Lock anymore!

    The Leap 15.0 is complete, all patches as of 2019-03-20 are in place (# zypper refresh; zypper update). As far as I can tell I'm on Xorg.
    Code:
     
    ~$> loginctl   SESSION        UID USER             SEAT             TTY             
             6                 500 <user>            seat0                            
    
    
    1 sessions listed.
    ~$> loginctl show-session 6 -p Type
    Type=x11
    No user, old or new, can switch user, either by choosing "lock session" or "switch user" from the "leave"-menu.
    I've emptied ~/.cache and /var/lib/sddm.
    Please advice.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,333
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Cannot switch users from Screen Lock anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by durque View Post
    The Leap 15.0 is complete, all patches as of 2019-03-20 are in place (# zypper refresh; zypper update). As far as I can tell I'm on Xorg.
    Code:
     
    ~$> loginctl   SESSION        UID USER             SEAT             TTY             
             6                 500 <user>            seat0                            
    
    
    1 sessions listed.
    ~$> loginctl show-session 6 -p Type
    Type=x11
    No user, old or new, can switch user, either by choosing "lock session" or "switch user" from the "leave"-menu.
    I've emptied ~/.cache and /var/lib/sddm.
    Please advice.
    Mmm, I see the same on Tumbleweed. Will check if it's the same on Wayland, and report back.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,333
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Cannot switch users from Screen Lock anymore!

    They've redesigned it...... A new way to get it done:
    - Add the Logoff/Lock widget to your panel
    - Right click it and enter it's settings
    - Enable 'Lock screen' and 'Switch User'.
    - Apply
    You now have three icons, click on the Switch User icon.

    I, from a laptop perspective, can see it is a less and less used feature, but would not call this an elegant solution.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,333
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Cannot switch users from Screen Lock anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    They've redesigned it...... A new way to get it done:
    - Add the Logoff/Lock widget to your panel
    - Right click it and enter it's settings
    - Enable 'Lock screen' and 'Switch User'.
    - Apply
    You now have three icons, click on the Switch User icon.

    I, from a laptop perspective, can see it is a less and less used feature, but would not call this an elegant solution.
    Eh, it's a bit better: the Switch User plasmoid initially shows the Unlock screen, with the Switch User option. Which is what you are looking for.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,333
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Cannot switch users from Screen Lock anymore!

    And, it's getting weirder: Since I enabled the Screen Locker and Switch User items in the widget, the Lock Screen also works, both from the kicker menu, and from the Lock Screen icon.

    EDIT: Disabled both again, but it still works like it should.
    Last edited by Knurpht; 31-Mar-2019 at 14:29.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  10. #10

    Default Re: Cannot switch users from Screen Lock anymore!

    Thx. I'll test on real users tomorrow and report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •