Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken grub on installing the 2nd Leap on the same machine

Default Broken grub on installing the 2nd Leap on the same machine

My laptop has two drives. I've installed Leap 15.0 on one drive and it's running well (calling it Leap A on drive A for now). And I intend to install another Leap 15.0 on the other drive (calling it Leap B on drive B), but last two attempts of Leap B installation both ended up in broken grub state.

The machine has UEFI secure boot enabled.

For the first attempt, the installation of Leap B wanted to mount its /boot/EFI on drive A and I didn't change its proposal although I had liked them to be on separated drive. It so made the drive B a LVM encrypted partition and its /boot/EFI was on drive A. But upon booting for the first time, after I input the luks password, it sent me to grub rescue.

For the 2nd attempt, I manually created its partition all on drive B without touching drive A,
    800MB as FAT for /boot/EFI
    800MB as ext2 for /boot
    the remaining 200+ GB as LVM with logical volumes of /, /home, /swap
    So this time, the installation didn't touch drive A at all.
    But upon first boot, it led me directly to grub rescue without even prompting for the luks password.

I have tried to boot into Leap A (using BIOS boot order option) and ran the Yast-bootloader tool to see if I can let it probe for Leap B and make an entry for Leap B in A's grub. Unfortunately, it could not detect the existence of Leap B on drive B.

I think I should be able to fix Leap B's grub with Leap A since I can read the /boot/EFI and /boot content on drive B, but I really can't understand the content of those files.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Broken grub on installing the 2nd Leap on the same machine

Firstly: When you mention "/boot/EFI" do you really mean "/boot/efi"? Linux is case-sensitive.

Secondly, you can probably only have one UEFI bootable "opensuse". Well, it is possible to have more than one, but tricky. So assume that you can only have one.

Thirdly: Your best bet is to use the boot menu from drive A.

Here's how to do that:

1: Boot into that opensuse system.
    2: Unlock the encrypted LVM. You can do that at a root command line with a command something like
    Code:
    cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb2 cr_sdb2
    Change "/dev/sdb2" there to the correct device for your encrypted partition.

After doing that, run (again, as root)

Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    That should add your drive B system to the grub menu. However, you will have to repeat this whenever the system automatically updates the grub menu.

There is an alternative method, whereby you can manually add an entry to the menu. Here's what I am doing:

Code:
    ### Entry to boot TW3
    menuentry "configfile for TW3"  {
            set btrfs_relative_path="yes"
            cryptomount -u 7428e7b830da407ab4ec6b53ac372022
            search --fs-uuid --set=bootdir 0b34f9bd-2d71-408c-a104-617efe2ad70f
            configfile (${bootdir})/boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    }
    I have added that to the end of "/etc/grub.d/40_custom". That would be on the system on your drive A.

I don't know whether that "btrfs_relative_path" line is needed. I'm currently not using "btrfs" so it is not really needed for me. But it might be needed for you.

Then you need to get the UUID of the encrypted LVM partition, and put that in the "cryptomount" line (to replace the string that I have there). And note that the "-" chars are removed from that UUID. You also need the UUID of the root file system (probably "/dev/system/root" ) to replace the string that I have used in that "search" line. You should be able to get both of those from what is in the "grub.cfg" on your drive B system.

To get the UUID without looking at that grub.cfg, use:

Code:
    blkid /dev/sdb2
    blkid /dev/system/root
    Again, change "/dev/sdb2" to whatever is needed. And the second "blkid" should be after that "cryptesetup" mentioned above.

And another possible problem. If you also use an encrypted LVM for the system on disk A, then there will probably be a name conflict and my suggestions above might not work. If that's your situation, you probably need to boot from rescue media to do part of this.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.1.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I don't know whether that "btrfs_relative_path" line is needed.
    This is required if you intend to use snapper rollback and it must match /etc/default/grub (SUSE_BTRFS_SNAPSHOT_BOOTING) used to generate grub.cfg (as you load grub.cfg from different installation, it is not necessary the same).

Thanks a lot. It seems I have some progress with your suggestion.

Firstly: When you mention "/boot/EFI" do you really mean "/boot/efi"? Linux is case-sensitive.
    Sorry, I should have written /boot/efi.
    Secondly, you can probably only have one UEFI bootable "opensuse". Well, it is possible to have more than one, but tricky. So assume that you can only have one.
    Is that because of the UEFI secure boot key management thing?

Thirdly: Your best bet is to use the boot menu from drive A.

Here's how to do that:

1: Boot into that opensuse system.
    2: Unlock the encrypted LVM. You can do that at a root command line with a command something like
    Code:
    cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb2 cr_sdb2
    Change "/dev/sdb2" there to the correct device for your encrypted partition.

After doing that, run (again, as root)

Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    That should add your drive B system to the grub menu. However, you will have to repeat this whenever the system automatically updates the grub menu.
    So I didn't try this method due to its limitation.
    There is an alternative method, whereby you can manually add an entry to the menu. Here's what I am doing:

Code:
    ### Entry to boot TW3
    menuentry "configfile for TW3"  {
            cryptomount -u 7428e7b830da407ab4ec6b53ac372022
            search --fs-uuid --set=bootdir 0b34f9bd-2d71-408c-a104-617efe2ad70f
    }
    I have added that to the end of "/etc/grub.d/40_custom". That would be on the system on your drive A.

I don't know whether that "btrfs_relative_path" line is needed. I'm currently not using "btrfs" so it is not really needed for me. But it might be needed for you.

Then you need to get the UUID of the encrypted LVM partition, and put that in the "cryptomount" line (to replace the string that I have there). And note that the "-" chars are removed from that UUID. You also need the UUID of the root file system (probably "/dev/system/root" ) to replace the string that I have used in that "search" line. You should be able to get both of those from what is in the "grub.cfg" on your drive B system.

To get the UUID without looking at that grub.cfg, use:

Code:
    blkid /dev/sdb2
    blkid /dev/system/root
    Again, change "/dev/sdb2" to whatever is needed. And the second "blkid" should be after that "cryptesetup" mentioned above.

And another possible problem. If you also use an encrypted LVM for the system on disk A, then there will probably be a name conflict and my suggestions above might not work. If that's your situation, you probably need to boot from rescue media to do part of this.
    I have followed this advice. After adding the 40_custom file to Leap A (without using a rescue media but in Leap A environment), I reboot. Then I went to YAST boot loader tool in Leap A and ran it to update the grub. I then reboot again. Yes my Leap A also uses a standard encrypted lvm system but I have not tried to use a resuce media to do it yet.
    Here's the result: it successfully added the entry Leap B. However after I enter Leap B and provided the luks password for the partition on drive B, I was back to the same grub again (grub of Leap A I believe), except that if I try to enter Leap B again, it would not ask for luks password but send me to the same grub, which feels like a loop.
    So basically after providing the luks password for the partition on drive B for the first time, it seems I am in a grub loop if I try to enter Leap B (I can't be sure it's a loop but grub only blinks for a second here). I am not sure what you meant by name conflict. BTW, I have already changed the name of Leap A by changing the line GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=Leap_A in /etc/default/grub.
    Is that I need to use a rescue meida to do it? But if it's just adding a 40_custom file, I don't know why it makes a difference by using a rescue media.

Blog Entries

If you have changed "GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=Leap_A" then you should have a boot entry named "leap_a" in your UEFI boot menu. And that should boot system A. You can possibly get to that menu by hitting F12 during boot, but it might be a different key.

If you are able to do that, then your best solution will be to use the "opensuse" boot entry for system B and the "leap_a" boot entry for system A.

Can you post the output from:
    Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    cat /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/grub.cfg
    cat /boot/efi/EFI/leap_a/grub.cfg
    The main reason that I mentioned using rescue media, was that if you are using an encrypted LVM for both systems, then you will probably have "/dev/system/root" (as one example) for both systems. And that may cause a conflict when you attempt to open the second LVM on the first system.
    testing Leap 15.1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    This is required if you intend to use snapper rollback and it must match /etc/default/grub (SUSE_BTRFS_SNAPSHOT_BOOTING) used to generate grub.cfg (as you load grub.cfg from different installation, it is not necessary the same).
    Thanks, though I'm not quite sure what "match" means here.

On my own box, I originally installed Tumbleweed with "btrfs", and looked at the generated "/boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/grub.cfg" to see how to use "configfile" to access that system from another grub menu.

On that system, I see: SUSE_BTRFS_SNAPSHOT_BOOTING="true"
    (that's in "/etc/default/grub". And then I use: set btrfs_relative_path="yes"
    as shown in earlier reply. Perhaps by "match" you only mean that I need both of those for it to work with snapshots.
    testing Leap 15.1.

If you have changed "GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=Leap_A" then you should have a boot entry named "leap_a" in your UEFI boot menu. And that should boot system A. You can possibly get to that menu by hitting F12 during boot, but it might be a different key.

If you are able to do that, then your best solution will be to use the "opensuse" boot entry for system B and the "leap_a" boot entry for system A.

Can you post the output from:
    Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    cat /boot/efi/EFI/leap_a/grub.cfg
    The main reason that I mentioned using rescue media, was that if you are using an encrypted LVM for both systems, then you will probably have "/dev/system/root" (as one example) for both systems. And that may cause a conflict when you attempt to open the second LVM on the first system.
    I've been doing the fix all the time in system A, which is running fine. It's just B that can't boot. Also the pysical luks partition wasn't named "system" but "Bluks" just to distinguish the two when I manually created partitions for Leap B.

Code:
    cat /boot/efi/EFI/leapA/grub.cfg 
    search --fs-uuid --set=root *uuid of drive A-/dev/sda2*
    set prefix=(${root})/grub2
    source "${prefix}/grub.cfg"
    Code:
    cryptomount -u *uuid-1*
    search --fs-uuid --set=root *uuid-2*
    set prefix=(${root})/boot/grub2
    Code:
    cat /etc/grub.d/40_custom 
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    ### Entry to boot leap B
    menuentry "leap B"  {
            cryptomount -u *uuid of dirve B part 3 that is a luks pysical partition*
            search --fs-uuid --set=bootdir *uuid-3*
    }
    The following is the grub that's on drive B part 2 which was created during the installation of Leap B mounted as /boot. I now mount it manually to see its content.
    Code:
    cat /mnt/tmp/EFI/opensuse/grub.cfg 
    search --fs-uuid --set=root *uuid of drive B part 2 which was mounted as /boot for leap B during its installation*
    uuid-1,2,3 are all unique uuids that don't appear in blkid command ( I haven't luks open drive B part 3 when doing blkid command but only mounted drive B part2 that was supposed to mount as /boot for Leap B)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moshpuke View Post
    Also the pysical luks partition wasn't named "system" but "Bluks" just to distinguish the two when I manually created partitions for Leap B.
    Okay, that help. It avoids name conflicts.

But now I'm confused over your setup.

Code:
    cryptomount -u *uuid-1*
    search --fs-uuid --set=root *uuid-2*
    set prefix=(${root})/boot/grub2
    This seems to be from when you first installed with the EFI partition on diskA used to boot diskB.

According to this, diskB has "/boot" as part of the root file system, and not as a separate partition. And that is the recommended setup if using "btrfs".

The following is the grub that's on drive B part 2 which was created during the installation of Leap B mounted as /boot. I now mount it manually to see its content.
    Code:
    search --fs-uuid --set=root *uuid of drive B part 2 which was mounted as /boot for leap B during its installation*
    According to this, you now have a separate "/boot" partition, presumably unencrypted. Is that your current setup?

That's actually easier for booting. But, if you are using "btrfs", then that setup won't allow you to boot to a read-only snapshot, so you don't get the full benefit of "btrfs".

uuid-1,2,3 are all unique uuids that don't appear in blkid command
    Yes, those won't show up unless you have unlocked the encrypted luks partition.

I'll wait for further clarification on your current setup.
    testing Leap 15.1.

Quote Originally Posted by moshpuke View Post
    Code:
    cat /etc/grub.d/40_custom 
            cryptomount -u *uuid of dirve B part 3 that is a luks pysical partition*
            search --fs-uuid --set=bootdir *uuid-3*
    Code:
    Huh? If you have /boot as separate partition, of course you need to look for this partition and read grub.cfg from it.

Okay, that help. It avoids name conflicts.

But now I'm confused over your setup.

This seems to be from when you first installed with the EFI partition on diskA used to boot diskB.

According to this, diskB has "/boot" as part of the root file system, and not as a separate partition. And that is the recommended setup if using "btrfs".

According to this, you now have a separate "/boot" partition, presumably unencrypted. Is that your current setup?

That's actually easier for booting. But, if you are using "btrfs", then that setup won't allow you to boot to a read-only snapshot, so you don't get the full benefit of "btrfs".

Yes, those won't show up unless you have unlocked the encrypted luks partition.

I'll wait for further clarification on your current setup.
    To clarify, I may repeat what I did in OP.

I tried installing Leap B twice. Both times it uses /boot/efi, /boot and an lvm physical partition (encrypted) setup, similar to my leap A setup. All installation use btrfs for /root logical volume.

First time it defaulted to install /boot/efi and /boot in drive A where Leap A was installed. The current /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse might be the left over of the first installation. But the first attempt failed as it led me to grub rescue after providing the luks password.

So the second time I tried not to touch drive A and made the installation in drive B only. It however led me straight to grub rescue without any password prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Huh? If you have /boot as separate partition, of course you need to look for this partition and read grub.cfg from it.
    I just tried to modify the 40_custom line for the boot uuid to direct it to the /boot partition in drive B but the result is the same (after using yast-bootloader to regenerate grub and reboot). Upon choosing Leap B in grub, it prompts for the luks password, but then the same grub appears, except that this time entering leap B again will not prompt for luks password, but give you the same static grub page (like in a loop).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast