Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no Trash

Default Re: no Trash

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It might be that LXQt does not setup trash when you first login. Since I normally use Plasma (KDE), I would not notice that. By the time that I experiment with LXQt, Trash has already been setup by Plasma.

Here, Trash seems to depend on a file "trash.desktop" in my Desktop folder, as well as ".local/share/Trash". I would guess you might be missing that "trash.desktop" file. It is probably copied to there from somewhere else on the system, but I'm not sure where.
    Template is /usr/share/kio_desktop/directory.trash
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    I'm confused is this "other" directory ie you log into as some other user and that other user does not have trash??? How did you create this other directory and who where you when you did???? Any directory to be used exclusively be a given user should be owned by that user. If you want a shared data area all that need access should be in the same group and the data area should be in that group. It is very unclear what you are doing and why.
    I have a specific partition that can be accessed by any of the OS installed. It is my primary data storage area. That is the "other" directory I was referring to. So at install it was simply a mount point to an existing partition. The system set it up as user/root and group/root. That is the directory that will not let me use trash. When I was running Leap 42.2 this wasn't an issue. However I notice that shift-delete does work.

You should never ever log into a GUI as root you will break things .
    OK, thank you.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed 64-bit / Cimmamon

Ok I guess this is a MS FS then?? If so the permissions are faked at mount because MS stuff does not have the same permissions as a true Linux file system. Show us the /etc/fstab

Ok I guess this is a MS FS then?? If so the permissions are faked at mount because MS stuff does not have the same permissions as a true Linux file system. Show us the /etc/fstab
    Code:
    # <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
    UUID=1d0b4eae-f9b1-43e7-a0ad-2790930e3374  /                 ext4  noatime                      0  1
    UUID=95560983-e4b1-42a7-87b3-b2e20c8feb77  swap              swap  noatime                      0  2
    UUID=0652B937439E6BDA                      /backups          ntfs  defaults                     0  0
    UUID=cce38ff5-440e-4c90-b5bc-7923a640fb70  /openSuse15_root  ext4  defaults                     0  2
    UUID=9e4b2cbe-4227-49f6-bc01-c133785b592d  /home             ext4  data=ordered,acl,user_xattr  0  2
    UUID=420EFA6B0EFA56FF                      /windows-D        ntfs  defaults                     0  0
    UUID=F84ECD3B4ECCF402                      /windows-C        ntfs  defaults                     0  0

Blog Entries

Please show
    Code:
    ls -ld /windows*
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Please show
    Code:
    ls -ld /windows*
    Code:
    dad@dad-pc:~> ls -ld /windows*
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24576 Jan 21 18:59 /windows-C
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root  4096 Feb 10 12:49 /windows-D
    Windows-C is the primary drive with applications
    Windows-D is the data drive

I am 99% linux, except when tax time comes around. The application we use does not run well on Wine, so that is one of the rare times we boot to Windows. All data is on the Windows-D, for any OS I run.

Did some digging as the comment above rang a bell about windows partitions needing more specifics in fstab. Below solved the permissions and access.
    Code:
    UUID=420EFA6B0EFA56FF                      /windows-D        ntfs-3g    uid=dad,gid=users,umask=0022    0 0

UUID=F84ECD3B4ECCF402                      /windows-C        ntfs-3g    uid=dad,gid=users,umask=223    0 0
    the first one is r/w/e
    the second one is basically read only

Now the right mouse click, send to trash is working.

So, now to the second part of my initial request for help. How do I place a trash bin on the desktop?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12