Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: No openoffice - ouch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,290

    Thumbs down No openoffice - ouch

    Ok I get it someone decided to delete openoffice claiming libreoffice is better. Not my experience at all. Of the 200 to 300 thousand old documents that openoffice was quite happy to open / print / resave as needed the libreoffice will open less than 50%, has trouble printing anything it was not the creater of and due to subtle differences in the way things in libreoffice work slows things to a crawl. This leap 15 upgrade is not as I expected. I have 13.2 which handled 2% of what 42.3 couldn't. Just replaced 42.3 with leap 15 which can't seem to do anything. Case in point, openoffice is dead (present but won't start). zypper says it is ok, Yast says it's ok, zypper can't remove it, Yast can't remove it. If the *** package is obsolete and doesn't work anymore why can't I remove it!!!

    During the upgrade to leap 15 I got a lot of messages about python conflicts but then at the end it said upgrade successful. zypper confirms anything relying of python is broken due to missing libraries. All my 32 bit libraries needed for my ide are no longer available. So here is what I figure:

    Go back to opensuse 13.2 for openoffice, 32 bit apps ( obd2 car reader, xbasic, campground reservation system, etc)
    Find out how I can force leap 15 to remove openoffice
    Find out how come most of libreoffice does seem to work right (many features greyed out)
    Wait for leap 15 fixes to eventually be figured out.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,399

    Question Re: No openoffice - ouch

    Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    During the upgrade to leap 15 I got a lot of messages about python conflicts but then at the end it said upgrade successful. zypper confirms anything relying of python is broken due to missing libraries. All my 32 bit libraries needed for my ide are no longer available.
    Sometimes, Zypper is not quite as helpful as it could be — please check the following:
    • Repositories?
    • “rpm --verify --all”
    • It may be that, the RPM database isn't OK: “rpm --rebuilddb”

    Specifically, which 32-bit libraries does the IDE you're using need? — Did the IDE upgrade correctly?

    Python needs libcrypto and libssl libraries – both provided by the libopenssl1_1 and libopenssl1_1-32bit packages.
    • Do you have the SSL library packages installed?
    • You'll also need the libsqlite3-0 and glibc-devel packages …

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: No openoffice - ouch

    Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    Ok I get it someone decided to delete openoffice claiming libreoffice is better. Not my experience at all. Of the 200 to 300 thousand old documents that openoffice was quite happy to open / print / resave as needed the libreoffice will open less than 50%, has trouble printing anything it was not the creater of and due to subtle differences in the way things in libreoffice work slows things to a crawl. This leap 15 upgrade is not as I expected. I have 13.2 which handled 2% of what 42.3 couldn't. Just replaced 42.3 with leap 15 which can't seem to do anything. Case in point, openoffice is dead (present but won't start). zypper says it is ok, Yast says it's ok, zypper can't remove it, Yast can't remove it. If the *** package is obsolete and doesn't work anymore why can't I remove it!!!

    During the upgrade to leap 15 I got a lot of messages about python conflicts but then at the end it said upgrade successful. zypper confirms anything relying of python is broken due to missing libraries. All my 32 bit libraries needed for my ide are no longer available. So here is what I figure:

    Go back to opensuse 13.2 for openoffice, 32 bit apps ( obd2 car reader, xbasic, campground reservation system, etc)
    Find out how I can force leap 15 to remove openoffice
    Find out how come most of libreoffice does seem to work right (many features greyed out)
    Wait for leap 15 fixes to eventually be figured out.
    Get the latest Apache OpenOffice from here:
    https://openoffice.apache.org/
    or
    http://www.openoffice.org/

    I am running it in Leap 15.0 & TW with no issues whatsoever.

    Just choose the RPM version and follow the instructions to install it.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  4. #4

    Default Re: No openoffice - ouch

    In my opinion, when you pass version (42.3 to 15) it is advisable to do a clean installation, you can also update I do not doubt it, but there are several things to do before starting with the update, delete configuration files of various applications is one of these, having the separate / home just do not format it and you have all your files in place. During the update there are certainly dependencies to be solved, and not everyone knows how to behave, just choose the wrong option and create a malfunction.
    To see if it is a problem that the LibreOffice update does not work the documents you have you can try a live Leap 15 and see if it works properly with your documents http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...eap/15.1/live/
    So you will have your answer, good work
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,583
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: No openoffice - ouch

    Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    In my opinion, when you pass version (42.3 to 15) it is advisable to do a clean installation, you can also update I do not doubt it, but there are several things to do before starting with the update, delete configuration files of various applications is one of these, having the separate / home just do not format it and you have all your files in place. During the update there are certainly dependencies to be solved, and not everyone knows how to behave, just choose the wrong option and create a malfunction.
    To see if it is a problem that the LibreOffice update does not work the documents you have you can try a live Leap 15 and see if it works properly with your documents http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...eap/15.1/live/
    So you will have your answer, good work
    I would definitely not use 15.1, rather a 15.0 live image to see if things work in that environment. FWIW, my oldest documents are from 2001, and I never once found LO to refuse to open, or mess up documents. Talking about docs, spreadsheets, presentations, databases.

    Re. upgrading 42.3 -> 15.0, my experiences are that changing the repos and dupping to 15.0 works fine, where I admit having done some reading before, so I knew about some changes, like f.e. the move to firewalld.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,002

    Default Re: No openoffice - ouch

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Get the latest Apache OpenOffice from here:
    https://openoffice.apache.org/
    or
    http://www.openoffice.org/

    I am running it in Leap 15.0 & TW with no issues whatsoever.

    Just choose the RPM version and follow the instructions to install it.
    Under no circumstance should anyone be using Apache OpenOffice at this point - it has a critical vulnerability which has only been patched in LibreOffice: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ffice-patched/
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

    .: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: No openoffice - ouch

    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Under no circumstance should anyone be using Apache OpenOffice at this point
    That is an inaccurate statement.

    Instead, you should say that nobody should use Apache OpenOffice if they are in the habit of downloading unknown ODT files from unknown sources and opening them in their office suite. Not a smart thing with or without this vulnerability. Not a smart thing with any unknown file from any unknown source in any application, including LibreOffice, whether there is a known vulnerability or is not.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,290

    Default Re: No openoffice - ouch

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Get the latest Apache OpenOffice from here:
    https://openoffice.apache.org/
    or
    http://www.openoffice.org/

    I am running it in Leap 15.0 & TW with no issues whatsoever.

    Just choose the RPM version and follow the instructions to install it.
    Been almost a month and still can't delete damaged openoffice package even as root zypper yast and rpm won't delete openoffice, new package from www.openoffice.org downloads but won't install. Says it conflicts with existing openoffice package.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,290

    Default Re: No openoffice - ouch

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Sometimes, Zypper is not quite as helpful as it could be — please check the following:
    • Repositories?
    • “rpm --verify --all”
    • It may be that, the RPM database isn't OK: “rpm --rebuilddb”

    Specifically, which 32-bit libraries does the IDE you're using need? — Did the IDE upgrade correctly?

    Python needs libcrypto and libssl libraries – both provided by the libopenssl1_1 and libopenssl1_1-32bit packages.
    • Do you have the SSL library packages installed?
    • You'll also need the libsqlite3-0 and glibc-devel packages …
    rpm -verify -all replies nothing to do, rpm -rebuilddb replies with just the system prompt no output at all
    Thinking I should just copy my /home/me folder out of the way try and remember how to make the install usb and install leap 15 fresh. I can boot to old version of linux and see if old version of libreoffice can read the openoffice files or I can use the old openoffice to read the files and copy paste them into libreoffice to save.

    As for what libraries my ide needs I have no idea. I installed the ide under 11.2 with absolutely no problems or dependencies unresolved and with each upgrade right through to leap 42.3 nothing seemed wrong but then came leap 15.0 and it can't run. Thinking because Leap 15.0 doesn't work on 32bit systems and this ide only works on 32bit systems I may be out of luck.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    10,806
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No openoffice - ouch

    It's probably not surprising that an application relying on Python would have problems after all these years...
    You can try a hail mary and install a Python native to an earlier version of openSUSE... but you'd have to do something like install Python from PyPi if it's not available in the 15 repositories (likely the case).

    Recommend you first make sure that your files are backed up and safeguarded in case anything becomes damaged.

    I don't know how complex your system is and the apps you have installed, you may want to consider a re-installation with a modern version of Open Office (or LibreOffice). You'll probably find all sorts of additional benefits by removing all the cruff in your system.
    You might even consider a temporary system downgrade to see if that would enable you to remove your broken Open Office, followed by a brand new Open Office install <after> you upgrade again to 15.

    Also, what is this "ide" you're referring to?

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •