Autofs not working

I just reinstalled Tumbleweed. I saved the Autofs config files that were working from the previous build and copied them to /etc.

Autofs has been installed and enabled.

This is auto.master:

/mnt/tower /etc/auto.tower  --timeout=60
+auto.master

This is the auto.tower file:

home   -rw,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 tower:/home/mmontz
raid   -rw,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 tower:/mnt/raid

Directory tower has been created in /mnt

s showmount -e tower
Export list for tower:
/home/mmontz *
/mnt/raid    *

I can manually mount the shares without issue. I can find nothing in the logs showing a problem.

Have I missed something?

Thanks,
Michael

Additional info:

sudo automount -f -v
Starting automounter version 5.1.5, master map auto.master
using kernel protocol version 5.03
lookup(yp): read of master map auto.master failed: Request arguments bad
mounted indirect on /mnt/tower with timeout 60, freq 15 seconds

Nevermind I resolved it though I am not sure how unfortunately.

Although I still get this error when running:

sudo automount -f -v Starting automounter version 5.1.5, master map auto.master
using kernel protocol version 5.03
lookup(yp): read of master map auto.master failed: Request arguments bad

That seems to come from a yp (nis) lookup. If you are not actually using nis, and everything works, it is probably safe to ignore that. You can perhaps experiment with commenting out the “+auto.master” line, as I think that’s what triggers a nis lookup.

I looked over your post earlier, but could not see what was causing the problem. So I’m glad you have it fixed, even if you are not sure how.

@mmontz:

If I’m reading your post correctly, you’re using the systemd “autofs.service” but, you’re neither restarting the autofs service by means of “systemctl restart” nor, checking the status by means of “systemctl status” …

Huh?

The 2nd field should include an explicit indication of the “map-type” if unexpected behaviour of the “+auto.master” line is to be avoided: “file:/etc/auto.tower” …

man 5 nfs:

intr / nointr This option is provided for backward compatibility. It is ignored after kernel 2.6.25.

I’m no longer a fan of using the “rsize” and “wsize” options – current NFS seems to be able to look after itself: <http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s05.html&gt;.
The “rw” option is currently the default value.

By “cd /mnt/home/” or “cd /mnt/raid/” or how?

If map name does not contain explicit type and does not look like file name, automountd tries to look it up using map sources configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf. Default nsswitch.conf contains “nis” for “automount”. If you do not have any external map sources, just delete “+auto.master” line or adjust nsswitch.conf to list only map sources you actually have.