Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: memory dump/segmentation faults when starting browsers

Blog Entries

Default Re: memory dump/segmentation faults when starting browsers

First,
    Your question about jit would apply only if you compiled your web browsers from source.
    I assume you're not doing that, you're installing pre-compiled applications from a repository.

As for re-installing,
    You can do that and keep your home directory...
    - First, copy your entire /home directory somewhere for safekeeping in case you make a mistake. A direct attached external hard drive would be a good choice.
    - Using a partition editor (YaST has one), inspect your partitions. If you installed the default layout (accept defaults during installation), your partitions should be

sda swap
    sdb root
    sdc home

Whatever you see, write it down if you must.
    - The next step is to reboot to a partition editor where you will remove the partitions containing your swap and root partitions. You can boot to a command line and run fdisk. If you prefer to use a graphical tool, I recommend GParted Live.
    - With the swap and root partitions removed (They should be free, unfornatted soace), insert your Installation DVD and run until you're prompted to install the Default Layout. Instead, select the Advanced Guided, somewhere in there you will be offered the Parted tool where you can set /home to your existing partition instead of creating new. Or, if this gets messed up it will only mean that you'll create a new /home partition and then you can copy or move everything from your original partition into your new /home partition.

I wouldn't be so quick to do a complete re-install yet, though...
    You can also try using a DVD to "repair" your system, you can either run the regular repair or try to do an "upgrade" which is more or less similar to what you were trying to do by running "zypper dup." There is a fair chance using the DVD will fix your problems, and as long as the DVD isn't older than a couple months, it should be OK.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Keeping the home partition should be fine. I normally do that.

If you still have problems, then just remove the configuration part:

Code:
    cd
    rm -rf .config
    rm -rf .local
    rm -rf .mozilla  ## this is the one with firefox configuration.
    If you remove any of those directories, it is best to not be logged into your desktop. Just login temporarily to Icewm which doesn't use those directories (unless you start an application which uses them).
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    First,
    Your question about jit would apply only if you compiled your web browsers from source.
    I assume you're not doing that, you're installing pre-compiled applications from a repository

TSU
    I am most interested in getting surf browser a suckless app compiled from source to work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12