Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zypper trying to uninstall python3 and then complaining about missing dependencies?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Zypper trying to uninstall python3 and then complaining about missing dependencies?

Regarding your question about running multiple Python, yes it's possible to support multiple python versions side by side on a system and because it's a common issue for Python developers (versions change often which break custom pyton apps), the standard utility used is virtualenv. And since you chose to install Tumbleweed, changes will happen a lot more often than if you had installed LEAP... some changes might break things although hopefully most won't.

I haven't run multiple pythons on an openSUSE lately, but awhile back whenever you installed a non-default python from the OSS, the new python would be installed with virtualenv automatically instead of upgrading the existing python. I don't know if that still happens or not. Of course, that won't likely help you if the system python updates to a new version but it's something to keep in mind if you install a lot of custom python apps (eg from home repos).

Now that you have experienced python versioning problems related to what you do, you should consider your options moving forward...

- Avoid custom python apps. Not always possible because python is extremely popular.
    - Use Virtualization (or isolation like LXC or docker) to run your python app in its own custom environment. If you're not chasing that last approx 2% performance or don't need direct hardware access (without lots of work), this is an easy option. This has been my preferred option for more reasons than just library versions.
    - Deploy virtualenv or some other python manager. This is the traditional solution, will require a little learning but is not hard to set up and use. It's also the solution that uses the least amount of extra space.

https://software.opensuse.org/search...3&q=virtualenv
    https://virtualenv.pypa.io/en/latest/
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: Zypper trying to uninstall python3 and then complaining about missing dependencies?

Thank you very much for your long answer!
    As I said, I solved the problem just by uninstalling the packages, that still depend on the old python, which luckily wasn't that much of a problem, because there wasn't so many of them.

In the future, I'll definitely consider your advice, as I've worked with both docker and virtualenv in the past, but not in this context.

Thank you very much again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12