Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Missing MENU in most KDE apps?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AU
    Posts
    241

    Default Missing MENU in most KDE apps?

    Most of my KDE apps ... Dolphin, KMail etc .. and some third party apps .. eg LibreOfficeWriter ... do NOT show, and i cannot makes them do so, the menu bar across the top of apps ... above any toolbar that is displayed.

    Has anybody got the solution to this .. it is making bad my day!!!

    Thanks
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma 5.12.8 | Frameworks 5.55.0 | Qt 5.9.7 | Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.27-default | Procs 4 x i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3.GHz | 15.6 GiB RAM | 4 Monitors

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nürnberg, Germany
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: Missing MENU in most KDE apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by griadooss View Post
    Most of my KDE apps ... Dolphin, KMail etc .. and some third party apps .. eg LibreOfficeWriter ...
    Most of those programs should react to alt+f (open File menu), alt+e (Edit), alt+v (View) or alt+h (Help). What happens when you use these key combinations?

    (Even if some theming option hides the menu bar, it should show up when you use those keyboard shortcuts. Another possible scenario would be having the KDE or Gnome make the menu bar global, like with GEM or macOS, and then hiding that global menu bar, possibly on another screen in a dual-monitor setup, in which case selecting Mirroring as a display setting might make the menu bar visible again.)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,587
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Missing MENU in most KDE apps?

    Please show output of
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    between CODE tags ( the # in the editor )
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,418

    Default Re: Missing MENU in most KDE apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by griadooss View Post
    Most of my KDE apps ... Dolphin, KMail etc .. and some third party apps .. eg LibreOfficeWriter ... do NOT show, and i cannot makes them do so, the menu bar across the top of apps ... above any toolbar that is displayed.
    1. Log out from the KDE session.
    2. From a VT (tty) console, login, cd to ~/.cache/ and remove everything in the user's Cache directory.
    3. Log back in to the KDE session.


    If removing everything in the ~/.cache/ directory is too much for you, remove at least the “ksycoca5_*”, “plasma*”, “qt_compose_cache_*”, “org.kde.dirmodel*” and “icon-cache*” files …

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AU
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Missing MENU in most KDE apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Please show output of
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    between CODE tags ( the # in the editor )

    Code:
    jedaa (su #) zypper lr -d                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.                                                                                                                                                                         
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    #  | Alias                               | Name                        | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                                  | Service                                         
    ---+-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------                                         
     1 | Educational_Repo                    | Educational Repo            | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/openSUSE_Leap_42.3/             |                                                 
     2 | Google_Chrome                       | Google Chrome               | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64                                  |                                                 
     3 | code                                | Visual Studio Code          | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://packages.microsoft.com/yumrepos/vscode                                       |                                                 
     4 | download.nvidia.com-leap            | nVidia Graphics Drivers     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.3                                       |                                                 
     5 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss       | Main Repository (NON-OSS)   | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.3/repo/non-oss/                    |                                                 
     6 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss_1     | Update Repository (NON-OSS) | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.3/non-oss/                               |                                                 
     7 | download.opensuse.org-oss           | Main Repository (OSS)       | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.3/repo/oss/                        |                                                 
     8 | download.opensuse.org-oss_1         | Main Update Repository      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.3/oss                                    |                                                 
     9 | http-download.opensuse.org-441e155a | Update Repository (OSS)     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.3/oss/                                   |                                                 
    10 | http-download.opensuse.org-46a5dabf | devel:tools:building        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/tools:/building/openSUSE_Leap_42.3/ |                                                 
    11 | http-download.opensuse.org-a8cdc881 | Grub Customizer             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ecsos/openSUSE_Leap_42.3/            |                                                 
    12 | http-download.opensuse.org-d5994616 | Google Drive                | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/frispete:/ocaml/openSUSE_Leap_42.3/  |                                                 
    13 | opera                               | Opera packages              | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://rpm.opera.com/rpm                                                            |                                                 
    14 | packman.inode.at-suse               | Packman Repository          | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Leap_42.3/                                     |                                                 
    15 | skype-stable                        | skype (stable)              | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | https://repo.skype.com/rpm/stable/                                                   |                      
    
    Thanks ...
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma 5.12.8 | Frameworks 5.55.0 | Qt 5.9.7 | Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.27-default | Procs 4 x i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3.GHz | 15.6 GiB RAM | 4 Monitors

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AU
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Missing MENU in most KDE apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by unix111 View Post
    Most of those programs should react to alt+f (open File menu), alt+e (Edit), alt+v (View) or alt+h (Help). What happens when you use these key combinations?

    (Even if some theming option hides the menu bar, it should show up when you use those keyboard shortcuts. Another possible scenario would be having the KDE or Gnome make the menu bar global, like with GEM or macOS, and then hiding that global menu bar, possibly on another screen in a dual-monitor setup, in which case selecting Mirroring as a display setting might make the menu bar visible again.)

    "What happens when you use these key combinations?"

    Nothing happens .. that i can determine.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma 5.12.8 | Frameworks 5.55.0 | Qt 5.9.7 | Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.27-default | Procs 4 x i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3.GHz | 15.6 GiB RAM | 4 Monitors

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AU
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Missing MENU in most KDE apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    1. Log out from the KDE session.
    2. From a VT (tty) console, login, cd to ~/.cache/ and remove everything in the user's Cache directory.
    3. Log back in to the KDE session.


    If removing everything in the ~/.cache/ directory is too much for you, remove at least the “ksycoca5_*”, “plasma*”, “qt_compose_cache_*”, “org.kde.dirmodel*” and “icon-cache*” files …

    Yes .. i had already tried that ... and now again. Without success.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma 5.12.8 | Frameworks 5.55.0 | Qt 5.9.7 | Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.27-default | Procs 4 x i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3.GHz | 15.6 GiB RAM | 4 Monitors

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,587
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Missing MENU in most KDE apps?

    Create a test user, log in as that user and check whether that user has the same issue. If so, it's an install problem, if not it's in you're homedir.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AU
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Missing MENU in most KDE apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Create a test user, log in as that user and check whether that user has the same issue. If so, it's an install problem, if not it's in you're homedir.

    It is my HomeDIr!!!

    Is there somehow I can remedy the situation without loosing all my plasma settings?

    Thanks.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma 5.12.8 | Frameworks 5.55.0 | Qt 5.9.7 | Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.27-default | Procs 4 x i5-2500 CPU @ 3.3.GHz | 15.6 GiB RAM | 4 Monitors

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,418

    Default Re: Missing MENU in most KDE apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by griadooss View Post
    Is there somehow I can remedy the situation without loosing all my plasma settings?
    • Carefully compare the contents of the user's ~/.config/ directories.
    • If you recursively perform a case insensitive search in the ~/.config/ directory for the string “MenuBar”, the chances are that, more than a few entries will be found with the value “Disabled”.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •