Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: System freezes

Default System freezes

My system , Leap 15.0 started to freeze. I first noticed it when watching a video on youtube. ... Got suspicioues and wanted to get install the latest patches via Yast.

System stopped after a few downloads, Error msg

Can't find a writable directory to create an attach point !!!!!

In Event notification the "KDE free space notifier deamon :

Running low on disk space !!!!!!!

Checked the disk space:

/home 158 GiB free of 168 GiB

/root 24 GiB free of 10 GiB

.... to me it looks like a hardware issue. I have a SSD from Kensington.

Thanks for your help
    Desktop: CPU: AMD Ryzan 4 core, RAM: 16 GB, SSD 120 GB OS, SSD 480 GB User , OS: Tumbleweed, NVIDIA GT 710
    Printer: Brother Color laser , Scanner Epson V370. Main application: Ardour, Jack

Default Re: System freezes

Quote Originally Posted by otto_oz View Post
    Checked the disk space:

/home 158 GiB free of 168 GiB

/root 24 GiB free of 10 GiB
    Checked how exactly? What does
    Code:
    sudo btrfs filesystem usage /
    report?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Valid comment .... but I can’t do your suggested check ... since I can’t fire up my system any longer. So I guess I have to try to use the rescue boot option and try the command you suggested.

It is bizarre .

If you have any other ideas please let me know.

thanks
    Desktop: CPU: AMD Ryzan 4 core, RAM: 16 GB, SSD 120 GB OS, SSD 480 GB User , OS: Tumbleweed, NVIDIA GT 710
    Printer: Brother Color laser , Scanner Epson V370. Main application: Ardour, Jack

?....?.??? The rescue system does not know the command btrfs. .?

Exactly what rescue system did you try? I just booted the 15.0 DVD Rescue System in BIOS mode, and the btrfs command is found.
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

There is an unanswered thread from 22.01.19 “no space left on disk” where the moderator suggests that btrfs is eating away disk space.

df -k shows no space left in dev/loop0 to 4

I am not familiar with the btrfs command and don’t know how to get the desired results

In any case that is bizzar.

for any help I would be greatfull.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by otto_oz View Post
    I am not familiar with the btrfs command and don’t know how to get the desired results
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:BTRFS ought to be enough to get through this. If not, someone else will have to chime in here.

Hi, thanks for the link.
    Unfortunately I can not work one my (faulty)system. After a few (3-4) commands the system freezes and I have to reboot.
    when booting with the rescue system, and enter
    $btrfs filesystem show /
    $Error: not a valid btrfs file system
    comes up
    I have the suspicion that there is not a snapper overflow.... but don’t know since the command “snapper” is not known.
    if it is a hardware fault, how can I interrogated the ssd ?
    From an installation point of view the system has no special add ons for file system or other things.
    I can’t provide screenshots due to the almost immediate freeze and I access the forum via an iPad.

I wonder how I reasonably progress since I am not familiar with filesystem maintenance.

anyway, if you have an idea please let me know.

Thanks and and best regards

What do you mean saying?
    the rescue system
    When I boot "Rescue System" from 15.0 installation media, after keying Ctrl-Alt-F3 I see:
    Code:
    openSUSE Leap 15.0 Rescue System

rescue login: root
    Have a lot of fun...
    tty3:rescue:~ # btrfs --help
    usage: btrfs filesystem [<group>] <command> [<args>]

btrfs filesystem df [options] <path>...
    I don't think "(recovery mode)" in your Grub menu is intended for solving a freespace shortage. The "$" prompt is a signal you're not where you need to be, but maybe you can use:
    Code:
    $ btrfs filesystem show /
    From $ prompt, please show complete output from
    Code:
    $ df; $ cat /etc/fstab; lsblk
    These commands' output each can be redirected to file by appending > someeasytorememberfilename to make copy and paste the output here easier.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I have not properly explained the situation I am faceing. My system freezes ,after boot and a few commands within 5 minutes. I basically have no chance to capture the command results and therefore post them on the forum.
    I noted the problem when the system froze during a YouTube video (did a reboot) . By coincidence I Decided to install updates via yast. There the download stoped half way through and a msg came , something like can’t establish link to create file pointing to the assumption the disk is full which was also indicated b
    y the idea freespace daemon.

I try to execute the commands you suggested.

thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast