Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leap 15, the Vista version of Opensuse ?

Default Leap 15, the Vista version of Opensuse ?

Under 42,3 everything was working perfectly. Now, i got sound problem went i used the sleep mode. And the core seems to have a hard time following the mouse sometimes. Now my last update has erased windows from my Grub. That the kind of thing that you must expect under Tumbleweed. But not Leap.

What is the fix for Grub ?

Is there is a way to return to 42.3 ?
    Open-suse Leap 15
    Cinnamon

Blog Entries

Default Re: Leap 15, the Vista version of Opensuse ?

Quote Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
    Under 42,3 everything was working perfectly.
    For me, everything is working well with 15.0. And I think that what most folk are experiencing.

What is the fix for Grub ?
    We would need to have more details.

Is Windows using MBR/Legacy BIOS booting or UEFI booting? Is openSUSE 15.0 using Legacy BIOS booting or UEFI booting?

To go back to 42.3, I suppose you would need to do a fresh install. I don't recommend that.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.1.

Blog Entries

To understand your current situation better, you'll have to describe what steps you or guide you followed for your upgrade.
    Then, based on what you did, the probable next questions would be to display various that display your current configuration.

Although I don't remember trying to go back from LEAP 15 to 42.3, sometimes I've been successfully downgrading by using the "zypper dup" command or using a DVD to do a "repair."
    You might also be able to solve your problems by doing a "repair" to LEAP 15 (your current).
    A missing GRUB entry though would probably require manually re-creating the Windows entry.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Now my last update has erased windows from my Grub.
    Hint: was fastboot enabled the last time you used Windows, or was it "hibernated"? If so, Win* leaves its install partition in an undefined state that can't be recognized by Grub, so any update involving re-creation of the Grub menu (for instance, a new kernel) makes Win* "invisible".
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    For me, everything is working well with 15.0. And I think that what most folk are experiencing.

We would need to have more details.

Is Windows using MBR/Legacy BIOS booting or UEFI booting? Is openSUSE 15.0 using Legacy BIOS booting or UEFI booting?

To go back to 42.3, I suppose you would need to do a fresh install. I don't recommend that.
    Can you tell me how to determine the type?
    Open-suse Leap 15
    Cinnamon

Blog Entries

Can you tell me how to determine the type?
    Do you have a system EFI partition? Check the output from
    Code:
    parted -l
    Do you have a partition mounted at "/boot/efi"?
    testing Leap 15.1.

For me, everything is working well with 15.0. And I think that what most folks are experiencing.

Your hibernate mode is working? In my computer, it's not working.
    Your sleep mode is working? In my computer, it's not working.

I am not cynical. Just stating facts. Switching to Leap was my biggest mistake of the year. I am in the middle of a project. And i need these problems like a dog need two tails.

Plasma has sometimes a weird behavior. Sometimes the lagging of the mouse was so bad, I had to move it by step.( It seem to be fixed)
    The Post-it widget of Plasma as disappearing act with the other desktop. (Sometimes you see it sometime you do not) ( No a major problem, just funny)

(i am using many desktops mainly because a have lost 3 months of data, thank to Dolphin. Plasma is a great desktop but is file manager is ****. But if you are using KDE based application, the readability is sometimes very difficult under a dark theme in a different desktop.)
    Firefox does provide sound. I just give up on this browser.
    And I have 2 control to set the language of my keyboard on the most desktop. There is a thing call Ibus appairing in all my desktop with the exception of Cinnamon.wich have a just one.
    And i almost forgot. An update has to rewrite my grub for the worst. And even if a rewrite the config of GRUB. It might happen again. Because the cause is in the code of updating. ( i am sure because since a got the dual boot my sleep mode has ceased to work. I using win7 only for games. The games are working, I do not care about the problem) The solution might be 2 modes of booting: A fast mode (without checking and modifying the setting) and the actual mode.

The last time had so much problem. It was with a brand new computer, This one has the first gen of i7. It a least 5-year-old. From my point, the view, Adding one more year of support for 42,3 would have been a smart move. This version is like those baby born after 7 months of gestation. It has deficiencies of prematurity. I have been using OpenSuse since version 8 (at the time it was SUSE). And this one is not a good one.
    Open-suse Leap 15
    Cinnamon

Blog Entries

Your hibernate mode is working? In my computer, it's not working.
    Your sleep mode is working?
    I try to avoid hibernate and sleep. But I did accidently put the system to sleep recently, so that does work.

I seem to recall from the past, with a now recycled older computer, that hibernate/sleep did not work well with Nvidia graphics. It's working with Intel graphics.

Plasma has sometimes a weird behavior. Sometimes the lagging of the mouse was so bad, I had to move it by step.( It seem to be fixed)
    I had that happen at one time. Shutting down and restarting firefox fixed it. It seems that firefox sometimes gets into memory eating moods.

Plasma is a great desktop but is file manager is ****.
    I mostly use the unix shell (i.e. the command line) as my file manager.
    testing Leap 15.1.

Have you checked that in Yast> boot loader> Boot loader options> have it checked out> detects other OS?
    Usually if the mouse is slow there is a graphic problem> what features does your computer have> graphics card?

When I was updating from version to version I always deleted the configuration files, before doing it ...., try to create a new user and enter with that if you see that it is better you can proceed to delete the configuration files that are between the files hidden, if it is the same you have to investigate the video card drivers.
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

I try to avoid hibernate and sleep. But I did accidently put the system to sleep recently, so that does work.

I seem to recall from the past, with a now recycled older computer, that hibernate/sleep did not work well with Nvidia graphics. It's working with Intel graphics.
    Both were working well. But my set-up was unusual. 2 drives, 2 distinct boot. I was holding my F2 on start to choose my OS. I change it by accident while updating to leap 15. Big mistake. With this treat, I didn't have to worry about the destruction of the Grub by Microsoft.

I had that happen at one time. Shutting down and restarting firefox fixed it. It seems that Firefox sometimes gets into memory eating moods.
    Mozilla does not behave nicely with Linux, these days. I'm still using it for the one-click install. But that's all.

I mostly use the unix shell (i.e. the command line) as my file manager.
    I'm copying mainly from my home to a USB stick. (Usually, the paths are long. And Nemo is really fast. If you copy a thousand file with Dolphin. You have the time to make your meal, eat i. wash your dishes. With Nemo, i have barely the time to make a cup of instant coffee with the microwave. Maybe Nemo is using the shell too.
    Open-suse Leap 15
    Cinnamon

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast