Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Choppy wireless mouse and keyboard

  1. #1

    Default Choppy wireless mouse and keyboard

    Hi Everyone.

    I have installed OpenSuse Leap 15 and the first thing I notice is that all my wireless mice and keyboards become choppy sometimes. Wireline keyboard and mice work just fine.

    I have tried the experiment with several wireless mice (logitech) and one wireless keyboard. However, all result in the same problem.

    Everything works fine like 60% of the time and then the choppiness sporadically sets in.

    The last keyboard/mouse set I tried was using "Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver" USB receiver.

    Any ideas on what to try?

    Thank You!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    1,183

    Default Re: Choppy wireless mouse and keyboard

    Does https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...g-rather-oddly seem to match your experience at all?

    Which DE do you use, Gnome, KDE, other?
    Code:
    inxi -Gxxb
    will provide this along with your hardware info which you can paste here using code tags from above the input window: [#]. (You likely need to install inxi first, using YaST or zypper.)

    Whatever you are using now, try something else. Simplest is usually IceWM, installed by default along with KDE or Gnome. Places to look for clues to trouble include 'journalctl -b', 'dmesg | less', and /var/log/Xorg.0.log, for strings like input, mouse or failed. Output from dmesg and journalctl can be shared with us rather simply by redirecting output to a file, then using the susepaste command to upload, followed by providing the upload URL here. Instead of the susepaste command, you can go directly to https://susepaste.org/ in web browser and upload.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

  3. #3

    Default Re: Choppy wireless mouse and keyboard

    Thanks! I am using XFCE4.

    Below is the output of inxi --Gxxb

    Code:
    System:    Host: research Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.45-default x86_64
               bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.1
               Console: tty 0 dm: lightdm Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0
    Machine:   Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 4270CTO v: ThinkPad W520 serial: R9P52KL
               Mobo: LENOVO model: 4270CTO serial: 1ZKBZ24X2HY
               UEFI: LENOVO v: 8BET66WW (1.46 ) date: 06/14/2018
               Chassis: type: 10 serial: R9P52KL
    Battery    BAT0: charge: 40.1 Wh 99.9% condition: 40.1/86.6 Wh (46%)
               volts: 12.5/11.1
               model: SANYO 45N1007 serial: 22766 status: Full
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-2960XM (-HT-MCP-)
               arch: Sandy Bridge rev.7
               speed/max: 2691/3700 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF106GLM [Quadro 2000M]
               bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0dda
               Display Server: X.org 1.19.6
               drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
               tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X
    Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville)
               driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 6040
               bus-ID: 00:19.0 chip-ID: 8086:1502
               Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 [Kilmer Peak]
               driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:0089
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 4050.8GB (11.5% used)
    Info:      Processes: 286 Uptime: 0:18 Memory: 4550.6/24050.7MB
               Init: systemd v: 234 runlevel: 5 default: graphical.target
               Gcc sys: 7.3.1
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.231 running in tty 0) inxi: 2.3.40

    journal -b output: http://paste.opensuse.org/view//9956416
    /var/log/Xorg.0: http://paste.opensuse.org/68939465

    Thank you!



    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Does https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...g-rather-oddly seem to match your experience at all?

    Which DE do you use, Gnome, KDE, other?
    Code:
    inxi -Gxxb
    will provide this along with your hardware info which you can paste here using code tags from above the input window: [#]. (You likely need to install inxi first, using YaST or zypper.)

    Whatever you are using now, try something else. Simplest is usually IceWM, installed by default along with KDE or Gnome. Places to look for clues to trouble include 'journalctl -b', 'dmesg | less', and /var/log/Xorg.0.log, for strings like input, mouse or failed. Output from dmesg and journalctl can be shared with us rather simply by redirecting output to a file, then using the susepaste command to upload, followed by providing the upload URL here. Instead of the susepaste command, you can go directly to https://susepaste.org/ in web browser and upload.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    1,183

    Default Re: Choppy wireless mouse and keyboard

    Xorg.0.log reports this device: "Composite USB PS2 Converter USB to PS2 Adaptor". Is it something you are actually using? If not, can you remove it and try? PS/2 to USB converters can be problematic.

    You are using the X driver nouveau. There is a FOSS alternate named modesetting. It's possible a switch to it would make a difference. There are two rather different ways to make the switch. One is to remove xf86-video-nouveau with zypper or Yast. The other is to have a file named /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-modesetting.conf containing the following;[code]Section "Device"
    Identifier "DefaultDevice"
    Driver "modesetting"
    EndSection[code]Restart X or reboot to test.

    There are two normally installed packages that are not necessarily needed, and might give rise to a conflict. Try using zypper or Yast to remove xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-keyboard. X on 15.0 works for me without either installed. Just in case you need either or both. Only remove one first and try before trying the other, to make it easier to undo if necessary. I tried mouse first.

    Did you try an IceWM session?

    Are you close to neighbors who might be using the same wireless mouse and/or keyboard?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

  5. #5

    Default Re: Choppy wireless mouse and keyboard

    Thank you for your reply!

    I removed xf86-video-nouveau using zypper and removed xf86-input-mouse.

    Right now I am actually using PS2 to USB converter for an old keyboard (which I am I using temporarily). The choppy wireless device phenomenon happens with or without it.

    Looks like I am already using IceWM session, as running icewm outputs:

    Code:
    IceWM: A window manager is already running, use --replace to replace it
    It is possible that that there are people around me who use wireless devices, but I traveled and the same phenomenon happens regardless.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Xorg.0.log reports this device: "Composite USB PS2 Converter USB to PS2 Adaptor". Is it something you are actually using? If not, can you remove it and try? PS/2 to USB converters can be problematic.

    You are using the X driver nouveau. There is a FOSS alternate named modesetting. It's possible a switch to it would make a difference. There are two rather different ways to make the switch. One is to remove xf86-video-nouveau with zypper or Yast. The other is to have a file named /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-modesetting.conf containing the following;[code]Section "Device"
    Identifier "DefaultDevice"
    Driver "modesetting"
    EndSection[code]Restart X or reboot to test.

    There are two normally installed packages that are not necessarily needed, and might give rise to a conflict. Try using zypper or Yast to remove xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-keyboard. X on 15.0 works for me without either installed. Just in case you need either or both. Only remove one first and try before trying the other, to make it easier to undo if necessary. I tried mouse first.

    Did you try an IceWM session?

    Are you close to neighbors who might be using the same wireless mouse and/or keyboard?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    1,183

    Default Re: Choppy wireless mouse and keyboard

    Quote Originally Posted by KittyKatty View Post
    I removed xf86-video-nouveau using zypper and removed xf86-input-mouse.
    And restarted X, including LightDM greeter?

    Right now I am actually using PS2 to USB converter for an old keyboard (which I am I using temporarily). The choppy wireless device phenomenon happens with or without it.

    Looks like I am already using IceWM session, as running icewm outputs:

    Code:
    IceWM: A window manager is already running, use --replace to replace it
    You must exit or not start an XFCE session before starting an IceWM session, by selecting an IceWM selection from the LightDM login greeter. Or, while no X session is running, you could login on a vtty and try:
    Code:
    WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/bin/icewm startx -- :1
    If refused, either: 1-for testing only, try again logged in as root; or 2-with root permission, first run:
    Code:
    chmod 4711 /usr/bin/Xorg
    It is possible that that there are people around me who use wireless devices, but I traveled and the same phenomenon happens regardless.
    Technically, is possible. Realistically, less than .001% chance if there are walls between you and anyone else with same hardware.

    Any other ideas?
    What I already wrote, uninstall the other input driver too.

    Also, redo inxi -Gxxb while in an X session. It can't do the whole job from a vtty. Also if Mesa-demo-x is not installed, install it first. Then, before doing inxi -Gxxb, do inxi -U. That should make it update itself, which should result in even better information. If it claims to be disallowed from self updating, you can get a newer version by installing the RPM provided by Tumbleweed, or override the restriction with /etc/inxi.conf containing:
    Code:
    B_ALLOW_UPDATE=true
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

  7. #7

    Default Re: Choppy wireless mouse and keyboard

    Thanks. I have uninstalled the keyboard driver as well.

    Yes, I actually rebooted after uninstalling.

    I did try running IceWM from the login, but the phenomenon still manifests.

    I am sort of afraid to try mesa-demo-x as it may make my system unstable.

    Below is the current inxi -Gxxb output

    Code:
    System:    Host: research Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.45-default x86_64
               bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.1
               Console: tty 0 dm: lightdm Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0
    Machine:   Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 4270CTO v: ThinkPad W520 serial: R9P52KL
               Mobo: LENOVO model: 4270CTO serial: 1ZKBZ24X2HY
               UEFI: LENOVO v: 8BET66WW (1.46 ) date: 06/14/2018
               Chassis: type: 10 serial: R9P52KL
    Battery    BAT0: charge: 40.1 Wh 99.9% condition: 40.1/86.6 Wh (46%)
               volts: 12.5/11.1
               model: SANYO 45N1007 serial: 22766 status: Full
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-2960XM (-HT-MCP-)
               arch: Sandy Bridge rev.7
               speed/max: 2691/3700 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF106GLM [Quadro 2000M]
               bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0dda
               Display Server: X.org 1.19.6
               drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
               tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X
    Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville)
               driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 6040
               bus-ID: 00:19.0 chip-ID: 8086:1502
               Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 [Kilmer Peak]
               driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:0089
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 4050.8GB (11.5% used)
    Info:      Processes: 272 Uptime: 2:01 Memory: 2454.6/24050.7MB
               Init: systemd v: 234 runlevel: 5 default: graphical.target
               Gcc sys: 7.3.1
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.231 running in tty 0) inxi: 2.3.40
    Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    And restarted X, including LightDM greeter?

    You must exit or not start an XFCE session before starting an IceWM session, by selecting an IceWM selection from the LightDM login greeter. Or, while no X session is running, you could login on a vtty and try:
    Code:
    WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/bin/icewm startx -- :1
    If refused, either: 1-for testing only, try again logged in as root; or 2-with root permission, first run:
    Code:
    chmod 4711 /usr/bin/Xorg
    Technically, is possible. Realistically, less than .001% chance if there are walls between you and anyone else with same hardware.

    What I already wrote, uninstall the other input driver too.

    Also, redo inxi -Gxxb while in an X session. It can't do the whole job from a vtty. Also if Mesa-demo-x is not installed, install it first. Then, before doing inxi -Gxxb, do inxi -U. That should make it update itself, which should result in even better information. If it claims to be disallowed from self updating, you can get a newer version by installing the RPM provided by Tumbleweed, or override the restriction with /etc/inxi.conf containing:
    Code:
    B_ALLOW_UPDATE=true

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    1,183

    Default Re: Choppy wireless mouse and keyboard

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Also, redo inxi -Gxxb while in an X session. It can't do the whole job from a vtty.
    This you didn't do....but now only inxi -U; inxi -Gxx is desired.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

  9. #9

    Default Re: Choppy wireless mouse and keyboard

    Sorry, forgot:

    Code:
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF106GLM [Quadro 2000M]
               bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0dda
               Display Server: X.org 1.19.6
               drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
               tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    1,183

    Default Re: Choppy wireless mouse and keyboard

    Quote Originally Posted by KittyKatty View Post
    Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X
    Forgot to use an X session or as normal user too.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •