Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: use teamviewer on system without monitor

  1. #1

    Default use teamviewer on system without monitor

    I have installed opensuse on a pc and I want leave the pc running without monitor.
    To work on the pc, I want to connect to it with teamviewer.
    When I try to do this, I only see a black screen.
    This is because there is no monitor attached, and so there is no desktop (in xOrg) running.
    Is it possible to fake a monitor so I can see a desktop in teamviewer?
    On the internet I found solutions for vnc, but I can't find a working solution for teamviewer.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,728

    Default Re: use teamviewer on system without monitor

    A desktop will only run if a user loga in. Thus an "automatic" login will start a desktop and I assume that will also run without a monitor.

    It will of course only work for one particular user (the one you configure automatic login for).

    Just a thought.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3

    Default Re: use teamviewer on system without monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    A desktop will only run if a user loga in. Thus an "automatic" login will start a desktop and I assume that will also run without a monitor.

    It will of course only work for one particular user (the one you configure automatic login for).

    Just a thought.
    I already configured autologin. I can connect with teamviewer, but only get a black screen.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,311
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: use teamviewer on system without monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by kyhwise View Post
    I already configured autologin. I can connect with teamviewer, but only get a black screen.
    Hi
    It could be a teamviewer/wayland issue if that's what your using, or are you using Xorg?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5

    Default Re: use teamviewer on system without monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    It could be a teamviewer/wayland issue if that's what your using, or are you using Xorg?
    I think I changed it to xorg.
    When I type: echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
    I get: X11

    So I guess I'm using xorg.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,311
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: use teamviewer on system without monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by kyhwise View Post
    I think I changed it to xorg.
    When I type: echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
    I get: X11

    So I guess I'm using xorg.
    Hi
    See: https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/...tems/ta-p/4256

    What sort of access is required to perform your tasks, if not demanding, consider using Xvfb? Else look at the likes of ssh and an X server running locally?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #7

    Default Re: use teamviewer on system without monitor

    Thank you for the reactions.
    I used a dummy plug on my vga connector to make the graphic card think there is a monitor connected.
    When I connect now with teamviewer, I do get to see a graphical desktop. Yes!

    But the resolution is not that good.
    When I look which resolutions I can choose, the maximum resolution is 1024*768.
    Is there a possibility to force it to a greater resolution?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,311
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: use teamviewer on system without monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by kyhwise View Post
    Thank you for the reactions.
    I used a dummy plug on my vga connector to make the graphic card think there is a monitor connected.
    When I connect now with teamviewer, I do get to see a graphical desktop. Yes!

    But the resolution is not that good.
    When I look which resolutions I can choose, the maximum resolution is 1024*768.
    Is there a possibility to force it to a greater resolution?
    Hi
    Should be, when your logged in, check the resolution output from the command;

    Code:
    xrandr
    Use the -s option to set, then can add the full command to ~/.profile so it sets it on login.

    For example;
    Code:
    xrandr -s 1920x1080
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  9. #9

    Default Re: use teamviewer on system without monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Should be, when your logged in, check the resolution output from the command;

    Code:
    xrandr
    Use the -s option to set, then can add the full command to ~/.profile so it sets it on login.

    For example;
    Code:
    xrandr -s 1920x1080
    xrandr gives:
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
    VGA-1 connected primary 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
    1024x768 60.00*
    800x600 60.32 56.25
    848x480 60.00
    640x480 59.94


    xrandr -s 1920x1080 gives:
    Size 1920x1080 not found in available modes

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,311
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: use teamviewer on system without monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by kyhwise View Post
    xrandr gives:
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
    VGA-1 connected primary 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
    1024x768 60.00*
    800x600 60.32 56.25
    848x480 60.00
    640x480 59.94


    xrandr -s 1920x1080 gives:
    Size 1920x1080 not found in available modes
    Hi
    So what outputs on the graphics card, just VGA? Is it onboard, if so can you increase the gpu memory?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •