Network Upload / Access

If i try to, for example, upload a file to google images, i can’t find a way to do it from a network folder. Only for local files.

The problem relies on the*** open dialog*** that does not show network places. Even if i try to set the path manually i can’t access any network folders.

Am i doing something wrong?

How is the network folder mounted? Via Samba? NFS?

Which version of that do you use, and which browser version?

What are the permissions of the mount point? Maybe those are too restrictive?

If you use the URL file:/// (three slashes) with the browser you use to go to Google Images, can you navigate to the files you’d like to upload?

Via Samba

Which version of that do you use, and which browser version?

What are the permissions of the mount point? Maybe those are too restrictive?

It does not happen just with the browser, but with most applications (Firefox, Falkon, Krita, Calligra, etc). However, with Dolphin or Libreoffice i am able to navigate to remote folders read and write with no problem, so i don’t believe it’s permissions problem.

I have already mentioned this issue to KDE developer Nate ( This week in Usability & Productivity, part 55 – Adventures in Linux and KDE )

If you use the URL file:/// (three slashes) with the browser you use to go to Google Images, can you navigate to the files you’d like to upload?

No, but i might be doing something wrong in this point…

Edit: This also happens on Leap 15

It’s a shot in the dark, but can you check if package gvfs-backend-samba is installed? Gtk-based programs like Firefox may need it to resolve file paths beginning with »smb://…«.

(My favorite way is selecting packages for installation in YaST’s software management module — YaST has a way of presenting dependency information that lets me learn about those dependencies incrementally over time.)

Yes it’s installed. :frowning: But anyway, this also happens with QT programs (Krita, falkon, calligra), but works fine in LibreOffice (which is GTK based)…

It’s kind of weird…

As a follow up of this bug for anyone interested:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1541461

(thanks for everyone’s help on this :slight_smile:

I’m late to this thread, but…

It’s my experience that no one should ever use a “not LAN” protocol to access anything on the Internet… protocols like samba, file, etc.

The only protocols you should use would be http(s), ftp(s). That’s it besides close derivations like sftp. Other options could be to tunnel a protocol like using stunnel.

So, wondering what guide or reference you’re using to set up what looks like your file manager (Dolphin?) to access an Internet resource (google images in this case). If a reference exists (likely) then if you construct your connection string passing your client credentials, there shouldn’t be any issue.

TSU