Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Can't upgrade openSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,560
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Can't upgrade openSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15

    Quote Originally Posted by boycottsystemd View Post
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDBffline_upgrade
    The supported starting point is an openSUSE release with all current updates applied.

    Can this be done or verify need for it using openSUSE-Leap-15.0-DVD-x86_64.iso ?
    I'm not sure that I understand the question.

    Yes, you should be able to do an offline update using the Leap 15.0 release DVD.

    There are some catches to watch for. Check the release notes before you start.

    As best I can recall, the main catches are:
    • if you were using legacy grub (sometimes called grub1), the upgrade may break booting. In that case, best to switch to grub2 before attempting the upgrade.
    • if using encrypted partitions, the upgrade can cause problems. If you make sure that all "/etc/crypttab" entries use UUID to reference the partitions, and "/etc/fstab" used UUID of the encrypted file systems for mounting, then all should be fine.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;

  2. #12

    Default Re: Can't upgrade openSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm not sure that I understand the question.

    Yes, you should be able to do an offline update using the Leap 15.0 release DVD.

    There are some catches to watch for. Check the release notes before you start.

    As best I can recall, the main catches are:
    • if you were using legacy grub (sometimes called grub1), the upgrade may break booting. In that case, best to switch to grub2 before attempting the upgrade.
    • if using encrypted partitions, the upgrade can cause problems. If you make sure that all "/etc/crypttab" entries use UUID to reference the partitions, and "/etc/fstab" used UUID of the encrypted file systems for mounting, then all should be fine.
    Thank you. In other words, how can I make sure that openSUSE 42.3 has all current updates applied ? There is no network.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,560
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Can't upgrade openSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15

    Quote Originally Posted by boycottsystemd View Post
    Thank you. In other words, how can I make sure that openSUSE 42.3 has all current updates applied ? There is no network.
    If you upgrade with the DVD you will have a mostly up-to-date system. There might be a few old packages left, if the DVD does not contain an update. But many of those will be removed by the update due to conflicts (and you are asked what to do about conflicts).

    If you don't have a network connection, you just do the best that you can.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;

  4. #14

    Default Re: Can't upgrade openSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If you upgrade with the DVD you will have a mostly up-to-date system. There might be a few old packages left, if the DVD does not contain an update. But many of those will be removed by the update due to conflicts (and you are asked what to do about conflicts).

    If you don't have a network connection, you just do the best that you can.
    Excuse me I should have written that I didn't have network support in openSUSE 42.3. I have it now and I need to connect to wifi using command line tools. Is there please any Howto ?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,560
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Can't upgrade openSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15

    Quote Originally Posted by boycottsystemd View Post
    I need to connect to wifi using command line tools. Is there please any Howto ?
    There are a couple of command line tools -- "nmcli" and "nmtui".

    I have used "nmcli", though not to setup a connection. It's not easy to use. There should be a man page.

    I have never used "nmtui", but I believe it to be a ncurses application that should be easier to use (compared to "nmcli"). Maybe give it a try.

    Note: "nmcli" -- NetworkManager Command Line Interface
    and: "nmtui" -- NetworkManager Terminal User Interface
    Last edited by nrickert; 21-Feb-2019 at 08:56.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;

  6. #16

    Default Re: Can't upgrade openSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    There are a couple of command line tools -- "nmcli" and "nmtui".

    I have used "nmcli", though not to setup a connection. It's not easy to use. There should be a man page.

    I have never used "nmtui", but I believe it to be a ncurses application that should be easier to use (compared to "nmcli"). Maybe give it a try.

    Note: "nmcli" -- NetworkManager Command Line Interface
    and: "nmtui" -- NetworkManager Terminal User Interface
    Thank you. Using nmcli is simple:
    Code:
    nmcli device wifi connect your_SSID_or_BSSID password your_wifi_password  private yes

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,240

    Default Re: Can't upgrade openSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15

    Quote Originally Posted by boycottsystemd View Post
    Thank you. Using nmcli is simple:
    If you're very brave, you could take a look at “systemd-networkd” (man 8) and, especially (5) “systemd.network” – there's a mention of “wlp3s0” for WLAN configuration …

    There's a Forums discussion here: <https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...s-are-assigned>.
    It seems that, this systemd method to enable network interfaces is fast – about 20 ms, against Network Manager needing about 100 ms …

  8. #18

    Default Re: Can't upgrade openSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    If you're very brave, you could take a look at “systemd-networkd” (man 8) and, especially (5) “systemd.network” – there's a mention of “wlp3s0” for WLAN configuration …

    There's a Forums discussion here: <https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...s-are-assigned>.
    It seems that, this systemd method to enable network interfaces is fast – about 20 ms, against Network Manager needing about 100 ms …
    Thank you, I prefer to avoid Lemart Potering's software as much as possible.

    Is there any way to make total boot time of any OS with systemd shorter ? It is tens of seconds (in best case) longer than boot time of Devuan for example.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,240

    Smile Re: Can't upgrade openSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15

    Quote Originally Posted by boycottsystemd View Post
    Is there any way to make total boot time of any OS shorter?
    Removing the systemd issue for the moment – fast boots/resets: <https://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/do...t_boot_example>.
    • Mostly, less than 1 s – best in class: 421 ms.

  10. #20

    Default Re: Can't upgrade openSUSE 42.3 to Leap 15

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Removing the systemd issue for the moment – fast boots/resets: <https://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/do...t_boot_example>.
    • Mostly, less than 1 s – best in class: 421 ms.
    Interesting, thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •