Virtual Volume View application malfunctioning in Tumbleweed KDE Plasma

I am a recent migrant from Windows and I have been replacing my highly used applications with their open source equivalents where possible over the course of the past few months.

One such application is Virtual Volume View which is used for cataloging removable volumes. The app is cross platform and has versions available for Linux, OSX, and Windows which makes it perfect for my use-case.

While the application works just fine in windows and on an Ubuntu VM, it keeps on skipping on displaying the “Search” and “Virtual” tabs on the toolbar when clicked in Tumbleweed. The application basically shows the aforementioned sections for a split second before jumping back to the previous screen.

I have since contacted the developer with regards to the issue (his contact information can be found in the readme.txt file) and he suspects that it might have to do with KDE Plasma but has no clue what might be the cause of the issue.

I fiddled around with the KDE Plasma settings a little but had no luck finding a way to get it to behave as intended. I decided to post here to see if anyone else has managed to get the application working by any chance.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Cheers.

IMO you did the right thing by contacting the developer, he should have an interest in identifying the problem and fixing it because issues will show up in TW before most other distros, particularly those like Ubuntu which move much slower than TW. If the developer shows little interest in replicating and identifying the problem, that’s a warning about the support and resources available to the app.

You can do your part by describing in as much detail to the developer as you can, eg exactly what is the previous tab and the problem tabs, and you can look for any possible errors, so although this kind of problem may not log to the system log, you can still verify

Open a console, run the following command and keep it open while you launch the app and try to reproduce the error…

journalctl -f

There is probably little more you can do as an End User to help the developer, only he would know what kind of code is behind those tabs, whether it’s his own handcrafted code or WxWdgets or something else (unless someone wanted to look at the source themselves).

TSU