Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Simple console appointment calendar

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mexico and Sweden
    Posts
    1,280

    Default Simple console appointment calendar

    I have been using a utility called pal for many years. It displays a simple five week calendar with appointments for two weeks both configurable. But it's so old, probably 8-bit origin, that with each new version of the O.S. the amount of supporting software has reached a ridiculous level. Something like 80 for Leap 15.0. I don't object to using something newer as long as it's simple. My main objection is the time spent converting a lot of data to the new software. Current appointment and event data is stored as a text file with a date at the beginning of the line. I refuse to have to enter it one date at a time to a new "improved" method.

    If anyone can recommend a simple non-graphical replacement I would appreciate it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,644
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Simple console appointment calendar

    What's the format of the text file?

    My 2 cents: sticking to old software is your problem. The point where you cannot transfer the data has been your choice. Modern calendaring apps use .ics files or use caldav. I doubt seriously that you will find an up-to-date alternative.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,488
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Simple console appointment calendar

    Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    I have been using a utility called pal for many years. It displays a simple five week calendar with appointments for two weeks both configurable. But it's so old, probably 8-bit origin, that with each new version of the O.S. the amount of supporting software has reached a ridiculous level. Something like 80 for Leap 15.0. I don't object to using something newer as long as it's simple. My main objection is the time spent converting a lot of data to the new software. Current appointment and event data is stored as a text file with a date at the beginning of the line. I refuse to have to enter it one date at a time to a new "improved" method.

    If anyone can recommend a simple non-graphical replacement I would appreciate it.
    Hi
    What about calcurse, available in the oss repository....
    https://calcurse.org/
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,345
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Simple console appointment calendar

    I used to keep a file named "calendar" in my home directory -- just a plain text file with appointments.

    Every night a cron job would run, and it would send me an email listing appointments for the next day. I think this was a standard part of unix (perhaps only BSD unix).

    Somehow, the system wide cron job is no longer being scheduled. And I think the script that it ran is no longer there -- at least not in openSUSE. But I still maintain that file, and manually look at it from time to time.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,644
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Simple console appointment calendar

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    What about calcurse, available in the oss repository....
    https://calcurse.org/
    That would require a certain format of data IIUC
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,488
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Simple console appointment calendar

    Hi
    @ionmich

    No sure why you get 80 packages? Only needs a few perhaps for ncurses....

    https://build.opensuse.org/package/b...0.1.x86_64.rpm

    Code:
    zypper in pal-0.4.2-lp150.10.1.x86_64.rpm 
    ...
    Resolving package dependencies...
    
    The following NEW package is going to be installed:
      pal
    
    1 new package to install.
    Overall download size: 112.6 KiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 283.0 KiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/...? shows all options] (y):
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mexico and Sweden
    Posts
    1,280

    Default Re: Simple console appointment calendar

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    @ionmich

    No sure why you get 80 packages? Only needs a few perhaps for ncurses....

    https://build.opensuse.org/package/b...0.1.x86_64.rpm

    Code:
    zypper in pal-0.4.2-lp150.10.1.x86_64.rpm 
    ...
    Resolving package dependencies...
    
    The following NEW package is going to be installed:
      pal
    
    1 new package to install.
    Overall download size: 112.6 KiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 283.0 KiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/...? shows all options] (y):
    In previous and much older versions of openSUSE I could not find it in the repositories so I downloaded and saved the file pal-0.3.4-1rh9.i386.rpm which was for Redhat. It then required the installation of compat-readline4-4.3-3.i586.rpm. That brought in a lot of libraries. When I switched to Leap 15.0 I assumed that pal was still not available so I automatically installed what I knew worked. But after your response I see that it is available in YaST. Assuming was the problem. Thanks for pointing out a bad habit I have.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mexico and Sweden
    Posts
    1,280

    Default Re: Simple console appointment calendar

    Thanks to all the suggestions. Replacing pal is no longer necessary since malcolmlewis pointed out my mistake.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,488
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Simple console appointment calendar

    On Fri 25 Jan 2019 03:36:04 AM CST, ionmich wrote:

    malcolmlewis;2892366 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > @ionmich
    >
    > No sure why you get 80 packages? Only needs a few perhaps for
    > ncurses....
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/y7kpkm4v
    >
    > >

    Code:
    --------------------
    > >

    > zypper in pal-0.4.2-lp150.10.1.x86_64.rpm
    > ...
    > Resolving package dependencies...
    >
    > The following NEW package is going to be installed:
    > pal
    >
    > 1 new package to install.
    > Overall download size: 112.6 KiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the

    operation, additional 283.0 KiB will be used. > Continue? [y/n/...?
    shows all options] (y): >
    --------------------
    > >


    In previous and much older versions of openSUSE I could not find it in
    the repositories so I downloaded and saved the file
    pal-0.3.4-1rh9.i386.rpm which was for Redhat. It then required the
    installation of compat-readline4-4.3-3.i586.rpm. That brought in a lot
    of libraries. When I switched to Leap 15.0 I assumed that pal was still
    not available so I automatically installed what I knew worked. But after
    your response I see that it is available in YaST. Assuming was the
    problem. Thanks for pointing out a bad habit I have.


    Hi
    You might be seeing that RH version via YaST?

    You would need to download and install from wolfi323's home repository?
    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...0.1.x86_64.rpm

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.25-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •