Thread: Conflicts when updating from Leap 42.2 to 42.3

Default Re: Conflicts when updating from Leap 42.2 to 42.3

Quote Originally Posted by john_snow View Post
    The requested output reads

Code:
    cat /etc/default/grub_installdevice
    /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x5000c50052c57048-part3
    activate
    So your openSUSE is configured to put grub in partition 3 and that is where updated grub was written. At the same time you have grub in MBR of your drive and that is what is actually used during boot by BIOS. This grub instance was not updated, so now code in MBR does not match the rest if grub binaries under /boot/grub2.

You also have rather strange active partition 5 which is logical partition (so normally cannot be used as boot partition by BIOS) and does not contain any boot code so would not work even with Syslinux MBR that does support it.

At this point you need to decide whether you want to leave grub in MBR or you want leave it as configured in partition 3 and install generic code in MBR. If you ever need or want to boot Windows directly (not via grub) you need generic code that allows booting Windows by changing active partition.

P.S. for the future - open new thread for new problem. It is very unlikely that people who are interested in grub will be attracted by the title "conflicts when updating", if only by accident. And even then they probably stop reading after original post. The more precise subject you give the more chances you attract attention of the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    So your openSUSE is configured to put grub in partition 3 and that is where updated grub was written. At the same time you have grub in MBR of your drive and that is what is actually used during boot by BIOS. This grub instance was not updated, so now code in MBR does not match the rest if grub binaries under /boot/grub2.

You also have rather strange active partition 5 which is logical partition (so normally cannot be used as boot partition by BIOS) and does not contain any boot code so would not work even with Syslinux MBR that does support it.

At this point you need to decide whether you want to leave grub in MBR or you want leave it as configured in partition 3 and install generic code in MBR. If you ever need or want to boot Windows directly (not via grub) you need generic code that allows booting Windows by changing active partition.

P.S. for the future - open new thread for new problem. It is very unlikely that people who are interested in grub will be attracted by the title "conflicts when updating", if only by accident. And even then they probably stop reading after original post. The more precise subject you give the more chances you attract attention of the right people.
    Hi again,

first of all I would like to thank you for taking your time to read all my threads and help me this issue.

I am not that knowledgeable with linux to give you an educated answer. What I would like to have is to be able, to choose between windows 7 and suse leap 42.3 from the grub menu as before. If it is possible to leave grub in the MBR, this is fine with me. In general, I would say that I am fine with any solution which would not wipe my data. If I would have to move grub from the MBR this is is also fine, as long as I won't have to reinstall windows and linux. Basically, I am open to your suggestions and hope that the issue with GRUB is fixable. i am getting scared tight now.

The reason for the strange configuration can be found in the forum link below. I was having problems with my dual boot and most probably, something went wrong there.
    P.S.
    Thank you for your advice. I would take note and not mix questions in the future.

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/508264-Dual-boot-windows-8-and-opensuse-the-boot-loader-was-wrongly-set-to-grub2/page4?highlight=john_snow

Hi, I opened a new thread to address the grub issue as you suggested.

The link is

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...06#post2892306

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12