Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Btrfs root full

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    365

    Default Btrfs root full

    Anyone else stuffed to gillz? Should there be a cron job? Nothing in weekly/daily/monthly.

    Had to restore from monthly Dec backup then reinstall 900 odd updates, should usually be 11GB free with 40GB root partition. What is proper procedure if root gets full?
    Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 (my first) laptop 1GHz PIII [T22 heatsink] ~ Silicon Heaven [RIP]
    X250 Lenovo Thinkpad ~ openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE
    C2D Micro ATX Tower (2nd Main Board) ~ openSUSE Leap 15.1

  2. #2

    Default Re: Btrfs root full

    First step, delete snapshots you do not need; see them via 'snapper':

    > cd /
    > sudo snapper list


    The system should auto-clean some of those, but you also have a pretty
    small overall disk size so I'd make that bigger, or else disable snapshots
    entirely if you do not want them. Snapshots are meant to let you go back
    to a previous point in time, but to do that they must be able to hold
    files that you have deleted, so it's more likely to fill a disk that you
    think, or are told via 'df', is not yet full.

    --
    Good luck.

    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below.

    If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
    forum as I do not use the web interface often.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: Btrfs root full

    The root partition is 40GB default /home is on the same 500GB SSD but XFS cannot be shrunk right?
    Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 (my first) laptop 1GHz PIII [T22 heatsink] ~ Silicon Heaven [RIP]
    X250 Lenovo Thinkpad ~ openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE
    C2D Micro ATX Tower (2nd Main Board) ~ openSUSE Leap 15.1

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    120

    Default Re: Btrfs root full

    Quote Originally Posted by fleamour View Post
    The root partition is 40GB default /home is on the same 500GB SSD but XFS cannot be shrunk right?
    As far as I know this is still true. A long time back I was in a similar position and as long as your /home partition is not to large you could copy it to another drive or to the cloud, then delete the partition, expand the root partition (personally I would consider going to 100GB), then create a new home partition (at this step I went with ext4 since it can be resized) and copy the files back.

    This is more simply done if you have a second drive that you can copy /home to and then edit fstab to point to the copy until you are done.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,478

    Talking Re: Btrfs root full

    Quote Originally Posted by fleamour View Post
    Should there be a cron job? Nothing in weekly/daily/monthly.
    The cron jobs which used to clean Btrfs partitions have been moved to systemd timers …

    Please check the systemd Btrfs services: “systemctl list-unit-files | grep -i 'btrfs'”
    Only the following Btrfs services should be marked as being “static”: btrfs-balance.service, btrfs-defrag.service, btrfs-scrub.service, btrfs-trim.service.
    The rest should be “enabled” …

    Please be aware that, at least on this Leap 15.0 system, the Btrfs Balance and Scrub timers are set to “monthly” …
    You can override the timers with “systemctl start «Btrfs service»” …

    You may have to execute the following with the user “root” in systemd “Rescue” mode:
    Code:
    # btrfs balance start -dusage=85
    # btrfs balance start -musage=70
    # btrfs scrub start -Bd -c 2 -n 4 /

  6. #6

    Default Re: Btrfs root full

    On 01/19/2019 05:36 AM, doscott wrote:
    >
    > fleamour;2891916 Wrote:
    >> The root partition is 40GB default /home is on the same 500GB SSD but
    >> XFS cannot be shrunk right?

    >
    > This is more simply done if you have a second drive that you can copy
    > /home to and then edit fstab to point to the copy until you are done.


    These days, unless you have actually filled that /home space with data, it
    is likely you could fit everything there onto a big USB stick temporarily.

    --
    Good luck.

    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below.

    If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
    forum as I do not use the web interface often.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    365

    Question Re: Btrfs root full

    Hi dcurtisfra

    I was not notified of your post. I discovered as much with my ramblings on Google. I set the default snapshots to less as per these forums (sudo nano /etc/snapper/configs/root) then ran;

    Code:
    sudo sh /usr/share/btrfsmaintenance/btrfs-balance.sh
    sudo sh /usr/share/btrfsmaintenance/btrfs-scrub.sh
    sudo sh /usr/share/btrfsmaintenance/btrfs-trim.sh
    This has made no difference as of yet.

    Recommended root is now 50GB vs my 43 GB — 9.3 GB free (78.5% full). Basically if / run outa space, cannot even rollback, screwed & need use monthly Clonezilla image to restore!

    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f btrfsmaintenance
    has worked in the past, but by keeping an eye on disk space I am seeing free space decrease & volume creep up every zypper dup. I would resize /home as per @doscott & @ab suggest, but do I use Dolphin on a live system? dd offline? Or some other method?!? Please elaborate....
    Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 (my first) laptop 1GHz PIII [T22 heatsink] ~ Silicon Heaven [RIP]
    X250 Lenovo Thinkpad ~ openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE
    C2D Micro ATX Tower (2nd Main Board) ~ openSUSE Leap 15.1

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,530
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Btrfs root full

    Quote Originally Posted by fleamour View Post
    Hi dcurtisfra

    I was not notified of your post. I discovered as much with my ramblings on Google. I set the default snapshots to less as per these forums (sudo nano /etc/snapper/configs/root) then ran;

    Code:
    sudo sh /usr/share/btrfsmaintenance/btrfs-balance.sh
    sudo sh /usr/share/btrfsmaintenance/btrfs-scrub.sh
    sudo sh /usr/share/btrfsmaintenance/btrfs-trim.sh
    This has made no difference as of yet.

    Recommended root is now 50GB vs my 43 GB — 9.3 GB free (78.5% full). Basically if / run outa space, cannot even rollback, screwed & need use monthly Clonezilla image to restore!

    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f btrfsmaintenance
    has worked in the past, but by keeping an eye on disk space I am seeing free space decrease & volume creep up every zypper dup. I would resize /home as per @doscott & @ab suggest, but do I use Dolphin on a live system? dd offline? Or some other method?!? Please elaborate....
    Hi
    Looks like you never ran the snapper maintenance to cleanup (recover space) after your config changes to remove old snapshots...., two different tools to run, check down in the cron directories for the snapper ones to manually run...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    120

    Default Re: Btrfs root full

    From a command shell
    sudo cp -ra /home/your_home /destination/your_home
    should do it.

    Have you used the Yast snapshots tool to delete old snapshots? My experience is that if there is an error in deleting an old snapshot the automatic timeline cleanup quits which eventually causes space issues. Try deleting the oldest timeline snapshot and see if that is successful.

    A rollback doesn’t require a lot of space as the snapshots are not full copies of the system.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    365

    Question Re: Btrfs root full

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Looks like you never ran the snapper maintenance to cleanup (recover space) after your config changes to remove old snapshots...., two different tools to run, check down in the cron directories for the snapper ones to manually run...
    Not an awful lot in /etc/cron.d/daily/weekly/monthly. Certainly nothing relating to snapper.
    Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 (my first) laptop 1GHz PIII [T22 heatsink] ~ Silicon Heaven [RIP]
    X250 Lenovo Thinkpad ~ openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE
    C2D Micro ATX Tower (2nd Main Board) ~ openSUSE Leap 15.1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •