Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Netflix movies in "letterbox"

  1. #1

    Default Netflix movies in "letterbox"

    Hello everyone; I have a question regarding watching movies from Netflix that I watch on my laptop. A lot of the movies are in "letterbox", and some of them are full screen. Bear in mind, when I watch movies from Netflix on our flat screen, they are full screen. Can anyone give me an answer why? I have just started using openSUSE Gnome, and I have used Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, and a few others, but I get the same results. I have 8 gigs of Ram, and keep my systems updated constantly. Does it have something to do with the codecs? If so, what can I do about it?

    Thank you very much! Dave

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    25,464
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Netflix movies in "letterbox"

    Quote Originally Posted by Haoleboy View Post
    Hello everyone; I have a question regarding watching movies from Netflix that I watch on my laptop. A lot of the movies are in "letterbox", and some of them are full screen. Bear in mind, when I watch movies from Netflix on our flat screen, they are full screen. Can anyone give me an answer why? I have just started using openSUSE Gnome, and I have used Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, and a few others, but I get the same results. I have 8 gigs of Ram, and keep my systems updated constantly. Does it have something to do with the codecs? If so, what can I do about it?

    Thank you very much! Dave
    Hi
    So letterbox is the aspect ratio, on your laptop what resolutions are available, post the output from the command;
    Code:
    xrandr
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Netflix movies in "letterbox"

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    So letterbox is the aspect ratio, on your laptop what resolutions are available, post the output from the command;
    Code:
    xrandr
    Thank you...my resolution is set 1366x768. (16x9)
    I have lower standard resolutions that I have not used....
    thanks

  4. #4

    Default Re: Netflix movies in "letterbox"

    Quote Originally Posted by Haoleboy View Post
    Thank you...my resolution is set 1366x768. (16x9)
    I have lower standard resolutions that I have not used....
    thanks

    I made an experiment with the lesser settings, and did not resolve the problem.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,090
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Netflix movies in "letterbox"

    Which browser are we talking about?
    Is the Packman repo enabled?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,825

    Default Re: Netflix movies in "letterbox"

    Netflix letterbox movies run normally here, with black sidebars.
    Leap 32.3 Firefox 60.4.0 ESR from update repo.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16,835

    Default Re: Netflix movies in "letterbox"

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 04:46:03 +0000, Haoleboy wrote:

    > Hello everyone; I have a question regarding watching movies from Netflix
    > that I watch on my laptop. A lot of the movies are in "letterbox", and
    > some of them are full screen. Bear in mind, when I watch movies from
    > Netflix on our flat screen, they are full screen. Can anyone give me an
    > answer why? I have just started using openSUSE Gnome, and I have used
    > Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, and a few others, but I get the same
    > results. I have 8 gigs of Ram, and keep my systems updated constantly.
    > Does it have something to do with the codecs? If so, what can I do about
    > it?
    >
    > Thank you very much! Dave


    Shouldn't have anything to do with the codecs - but I'm not entirely sure
    I understand your question.

    What is the aspect ratio of your flat screen?

    Not all movies are shot using the same aspect ratio, so it's natural to
    have black bars above/below to fill in the space that wasn't in the
    original format.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  8. #8

    Default Re: Netflix movies in "letterbox"

    Quote Originally Posted by Haoleboy View Post
    Thank you...my resolution is set 1366x768. (16x9)
    I have lower standard resolutions that I have not used....
    thanks

    root@debian:/home/dave# xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
    eDP1 connected primary 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 194mm
    1366x768 59.99*+ 39.94
    1360x768 59.80 59.96
    1024x768 60.00
    800x600 60.32 56.25
    640x480 59.94
    HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    root@debian:/home/dave#

  9. #9

    Default Re: Netflix movies in "letterbox"

    Quote Originally Posted by Haoleboy View Post
    Thank you...my resolution is set 1366x768. (16x9)
    I have lower standard resolutions that I have not used....
    thanks
    Malcolm:

    root@debian:/home/dave# xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
    eDP1 connected primary 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 194mm
    1366x768 59.99*+ 39.94
    1360x768 59.80 59.96
    1024x768 60.00
    800x600 60.32 56.25
    640x480 59.94
    HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    root@debian:/home/dave#

  10. #10

    Default Re: Netflix movies in "letterbox"

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Which browser are we talking about?
    Is the Packman repo enabled?

    I find that pacman is NOT installed......and my browser Chrome......
    Last edited by Haoleboy; 18-Jan-2019 at 13:41. Reason: l

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •