Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me play pac man ( the origenal arcade version ) without messing up my desktop resolution

Default Re: Help me play pac man ( the origenal arcade version ) without messing up my desktop resolution

After some more research, the roms are in general not compatible between mame versions.
    So it seems I have two possible solutions.

One would be to find a linux MAME 32 version, compatible with the windows mame 0.35 version I have.
    There is source code available also for the older mame releases, but this will be for now plan B.

The other solution is to find roms for ( Linux ) MAME version 0.185

I compared the folders on the windows mame and the linux mame.
    Its different and probably this does matter. The win mame version has a cgf folder and in it are allot of cfg files.
    The newer mame for Linux does not have this folder.

This is most likely the reason why the roms are not working.
    As far as I understand mame, the linux version does see the roms and say they are fine. ( two downloaded from emuparadise, pacman and robotron )
    When I start a game though, I get a message about something missing. ( a rom file or a chd image )

To be continued

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help me play pac man ( the origenal arcade version ) without messing up my desktop resolution

The config files, ones saved from the app are in $HOME/mame/*ini
    There also seems to be, for some games (??), a BIOS choice needed to be provided.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

It can be a puzzle.

I like this site below. It explains about all. I learned from this site what update packs are.
    In theory I could use update packs, about 40, rough guess.
    One update pack per version number, no skipping versions.

https://journalxtra.com/mame/downloa...and-mame-roms/

If you get all roms its 59 GB

I need to google: roms for mame 0.185. ( already tried this ones, but found allot of dead end, so I need to dig a bit deeper )

What I am looking for will be way below 100 MB for all games though.

I am gonna ask help on a MAME forum.

Yesterday downloaded roms for MAME 0.183 and they don't work, same problem as before.

I might have to use two update packs if I can find them.

The download was 60 gig, and I used a program that was written to distribute Linux Distro's, and a site that has torrents.

As far as I can tell it looks like the real thing, but it does not work.

To be continued.

While I am waiting for ark to finish the unpacking of the 60 gig rar file, I think I have found the problem.

I had installed mame through a search in yast.

The mame forum told me to get the latest version, I could not find that one, but did find a link to download mame for opensuse 42.2.

A one click install from an official suse site, which asked if I wanted the add the emulators repository.

I was expecting it was gonna to tell me MAME was already installed, but it also wanted to install some file I had not yet installed.

Something with UTF- 8 code ?

As far as I understand this, it has to do with Linux being able to read files made on windows.

I then tried pacman again, and although the game did not start , I got a message I know from the old mame, it told me which files were missing, exact name and extension.
    Before it only told me rom files or chd files were missing.

Update:
    Ark just finished unpacking the rar file. So now allot of zip files are in the rom folder. ( don't unpack those )
    I did a test and could not find pacman so picked misses pacman.

MAME is working and the problem was:
    libutf8proc1 - Library for processing UTF-8 encoded Unicode strings
    I needed that file too.

I typed 42.2 in my previous post, this should have been 42.3

I found pacman, but the text is grey not white as with allot of other roms.
    Still it works fine, so I am totally happy.

Isn't it amazing how we can abuse Linux to even run arcade games ?

Time for some Mr Do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_BBQWed8Vk

My high score with this game is about 120 k

Much better then with pacman were I struggle to get 60 k points.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    I found pacman, but the text is grey not white as with allot of other roms.
    Still it works fine, so I am totally happy.

Isn't it amazing how we can abuse Linux to even run arcade games ?
    Great you've got it working. Can you write up some basic guide for other how you got it working?

The grey text is probably in the rom, roms AFAIK have their own internal settings for this.

And, glad I gently pushed you to go native linux
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Add the emulator repository and install MAME. This can be done by a one click install.

Then find roms for mame, google is you're friend in this case.
    ( Try to find a rom pack with a version number close to or even better with the same version number as you're MAME version.
    I ended up with mame 0.185 and a rom pack with the number 0.183 )

Download the roms.

The file I got was one big rar file. I had to unpack this ones.
    Then you will have allot of zip files, don't extract these. Mame can read the zip files just fine.

Then start mame and add the folder with the zip files. Save the settings and quit mame.
    Then restart mame and it should be working.

Why I had issues to get it working? ?

I did not use that one click install page at first, I just searched for MAME in yast.

The difference between these two options, is that the one click install added an extra file.
    libutf8proc1 - Library for processing UTF-8 encoded Unicode strings.

This was why at first MAME did not see the roms. ( the zip files )

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    No luck yet.

I added the rom folder from the other mame through MAME, and I am 99% sure it worked. That directory is now also listed in mame)

But this mame does not seem to like the roms I have.

I think i will go on the hunt of new roms.

I will not give up until, I can play again pacman donkey kong, space invaders, galaxian and galaga, and maybe my favourite Robotron, but I still need to find a way to connect two (Atari ST) joysticks to my pc for this game.
    The original arcade machine had two joy sticks, one is the direction you walk, the other one is the direction you shoot.

For those who don't know Robotron: save the last human family:
    ( from the good old days when games were not fair)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l800GL6NQPY
    Why do you want to install an emulator? You can play any of these classic arcade games online!
    Last edited by Knurpht; 05-Feb-2019 at 10:17. Reason: Removed link

I seriously doubt there is a website were I can play the original Pac Man, Robotron, Mr Do, Phoenix, Donkey Kong Galaxian, Galaga and space invaders.

Even if there is a site like that, the lag is gonna kill the fun.

There is a online flash version of pacman, but that is not the original game, I played in the arcade.
    I already had the internet lag problem with that version.

I was impressed how well the game runs, but these games are hard enough, without adding extra lag.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast