Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default panics with Atheros WIFI (ath10k)

Default Kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default panics with Atheros WIFI (ath10k)

I had not restarted my laptop in a while, but today I did (after upgrading) and I was welcomed by a kernel panic.

Code:
    not syncing: DMA: Random memory could be DMA Accessed
    It's due to the atheros module (http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail...er/010089.html)

I managed to boot by adding `module_blacklist=ath10k_core,ath10k_pci,ath10k` to the boot line in Grub.

I am not sure what Kernel version I had before, but I tried using the others in my Grub without luck.

Hopefully other people might find this post helpful.

Default Re: Kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default panics with Atheros WIFI (ath10k)

I installed Kernel 4.20 from Kernel:stable and the problem has disappeared. The system boots fine and the atheros card works. However I needed to enroll the signature key with mokutils.

For reference

Code:
    osc signkey --sslcert Kernel:stable >> kernel.sign
    openssl x509 -inform PEM -outform DER -in kernel.sign  -out kernel.der
    sudo mokutil --import kernel.der
    And them use the BIOS mok manager to add the new key. There is more info here https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:UEF...rom_MOKManager (copying the key to /boot/efi does not seem necessary).

Default Re: Kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.28-default panics with Atheros WIFI (ath10k)

Blog Entries

I am going to move this thread to Wifi: https://forums.opensuse.org/forumdis...p/676-Wireless

I request that both Forum based and NNTP based users do not reply to this thread until my next post indicating it ok to reply. NNTP users you will need to look for this in the Wifi area in 30-minutes or so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    See https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ocks-up-system

Quote Originally Posted by hsanjuan View Post
    I had not restarted my laptop in a while, but today I did (after upgrading) and I was welcomed by a kernel panic.

Code:
    not syncing: DMA: Random memory could be DMA Accessed
    It's due to the atheros module (http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail...er/010089.html)

I managed to boot by adding `module_blacklist=ath10k_core,ath10k_pci,ath10k` to the boot line in Grub.

I am not sure what Kernel version I had before, but I tried using the others in my Grub without luck.

Hopefully other people might find this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by hsanjuan View Post
    I installed Kernel 4.20 from Kernel:stable and the problem has disappeared. The system boots fine and the atheros card works. However I needed to enroll the signature key with mokutils.

For reference

Code:
    osc signkey --sslcert Kernel:stable >> kernel.sign
    openssl x509 -inform PEM -outform DER -in kernel.sign  -out kernel.der
    sudo mokutil --import kernel.der
    And them use the BIOS mok manager to add the new key. There is more info here https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:UEF...rom_MOKManager (copying the key to /boot/efi does not seem necessary).
    This thread has been moved from "Install/Boot/Login" openSUSE area to "Wireless" and it is now open again for posting. Thankyou for your understanding during the thread move.

Thanks! This got my system back up. But I have an issue with it. When I go into grub and choose the old kernel I get (I think) the same issue. How can that be?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tetmo113 View Post
    When I go into grub and choose the old kernel I get (I think) the same issue. How can that be?
    The problem is in the kernel plus firmware as a combination. If you revert to the previous firmware, the old kernel should then boot. That's not intended as advice on what to do.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    The problem is in the kernel plus firmware as a combination. If you revert to the previous firmware, the old kernel should then boot. That's not intended as advice on what to do.
    Usually I don't think of "firmware" as associated with my desktop. Can you explain? Do you mean a backup of the root filesystem? So use snapper to take it back?

Also, In my 20+ years of having Linux as my primary OS, I've never encountered this. I would think this would have been caught in testing. How would something like this get through? And is this being escalated? A simple update crashing a system at boot seems extreme to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tetmo113 View Post
    Usually I don't think of "firmware" as associated with my desktop.
    There's a package called "kernel firmware" which was the immediate cause of your problem. The package contains firmware for a number of devices, and is dynamically loaded into the device on system startup. If I understand it correctly, the firmware for the atheros card is the particular problem you are having.

Yes, a snapper rollback should take you to an earlier version.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

I'm having the same problem. I can't rollback or boot up at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast