Thread: Making a choice of desktops

Default Making a choice of desktops

Hello!
    I am using OpenSuse 13.5. I have installed through Yast four different desktops. The default is Gnome, and did install xfce, and Mate. I don't have a choice when I restart the computer, and I don't know how to correct my dilemna. Can someone please help?
    Thank you very much!!
    Dave

Blog Entries

Default Re: Making a choice of desktops

Quote Originally Posted by Haoleboy View Post
    Hello!
    I am using OpenSuse 13.5.
    No such version although the prefix you've chosen for this thread suggests openSUSE Leap 15. Anyway, you can verify with
    Code:
    cat /etc/os-release
    I have installed through Yast four different desktops. The default is Gnome, and did install xfce, and Mate. I don't have a choice when I restart the computer, and I don't know how to correct my dilemna. Can someone please help?
    Thank you very much!!
    Dave
    You can make the required choice at the login screen.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 11-Jan-2019 at 19:06.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

BTW, if using automatic login (ie no login screen presented at boot), then you can disable that using
    https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linu...e-desktop.html

Another option is to restart the X-server with CTRL-ALT-Backspace (hold down for a couple of seconds) and then the login screen will be presented.

Unhappy Re: Making a choice of desktops

Thank you for your replies. All I wanted to do was have a choice on which desktop I wanted to use. It sounds like I don't have that option.
    thank you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haoleboy View Post
    Thank you for your replies. All I wanted to do was have a choice on which desktop I wanted to use. It sounds like I don't have that option.
    thank you
    Yes, you do have a choice as I explained already. You make the choice of desktop session at the login screen (refer to the little gear icon beside the 'Sign In' button)...
    https://www.howtoforge.com/images/th...3.2/big/15.png

Please confirm which display manager are you using. Report back with the output of this command.
    Code:
    ps -A|grep dm
    I assumed that you're using gdm (based on your opening post where you mentioned Gnome is default).