Thread: In LEAP KDE has become really nice...

Default In LEAP KDE has become really nice...

As I do a lot of Qt development, I also used to actively use KDE. But after many years fruitlessly arguing with Aaron Seigo over 3 simple issues he refused to even consider, let alone accept patches for, I actually completely abandoned using KDE entirely, from that point forward, and so ignored it, until now. Instead I primarily used Xfce, and sometimes even fluxbox.

In the past Suse/OpenSUSE was also the only distro I really had a fully functional KDE with. In most distros at the time usually something would be broken or not work correct, and most often it was akonadi. So it was with openSUSE I ever even used that successfully, and it was kinda interesting. But since I recently chose to migrate to openSUSE for doing future development work, and because I still do a lot of Qt, I thought given that past success I would try KDE on leap.

I was very surprised, and pleased, to find after all these years, well, sometime this past decade, that all 3 of my original issues have actually been addressed; Dolphin supporting the option for case sensitive file sorting, hiding the desktop toolkit, and an easy and sane way of getting an overview of and selecting activities that behaves like the panel workspace pager. And it is not all that bad on resources, either.

Cool Re: In LEAP KDE has become really nice...

@dyfet:

Having spoken with a couple of KDE developers at openSUSE conferences, I can confirm that, they're quite unique in the way in which they deal with their user community.

Be that as it may, I prefer to have KDE Plasma as my desktop and prefer to use KDE applications, because:
    • The “look and feel” is smooth, predictable and, dare I say it, intuitive.
    • Digikam is the killer application.
    • On a modern multiple core CPU machine, it really doesn't consume as many resources as some claim that it does …

Blog Entries

Default Re: In LEAP KDE has become really nice...

FWIW The three features mentioned by the OP have been in KDE for a couple of years now.

And please, don't let this thread become a rant about the KDE devs. I know how desperate one can become in some cases, but the solution is always in getting to talk to eachother, not about eachother. Which I also know is not always easy.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    FWIW The three features mentioned by the OP have been in KDE for a couple of years now.

And please, don't let this thread become a rant about the KDE devs. I know how desperate one can become in some cases, but the solution is always in getting to talk to eachother, not about eachother. Which I also know is not always easy.
    I really didn't mean it to be about that, but I had been silent and I had never had explained before why I had came to refuse using KDE. But in terms of when KDE received features, and my issues being outdates, it's not that I held a grudge for all these years. There were periods I also had lived without electricity or heat, too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dyfet View Post
    I really didn't mean it to be about that, but I had been silent and I had never had explained before why I had came to refuse using KDE. But in terms of when KDE received features, and my issues being outdates, it's not that I held a grudge for all these years. There were periods I also had lived without electricity or heat, too.
    It wasn't meant to you personally. But sometimes people see such posts as an open invitation to, well you know.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

If you're a fan of Qt but have been using XFCE,
    Give LXQt a spin if just to see what it is(You can install the LXQt pattern and then switch between DE when you login).

LXQt is built on the identical Qt Framework (well, not all the frameworks, but perhaps the core) from KDE/Plasma, but consumes resources more like XFCE.
    Of course, whenever possible LXQt will also install Qt applications, and they'll generally be different than what you'll get in a default KDE/plasma.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    If you're a fan of Qt but have been using XFCE,
    Give LXQt a spin if just to see what it is(You can install the LXQt pattern and then switch between DE when you login).

LXQt is built on the identical Qt Framework (well, not all the frameworks, but perhaps the core) from KDE/Plasma, but consumes resources more like XFCE.
    Of course, whenever possible LXQt will also install Qt applications, and they'll generally be different than what you'll get in a default KDE/plasma.

TSU
    LXQt is actually interesting to me. The last time I looked at LXQt was perhaps 5 years ago, I guess when it was just getting started, and I was not initially that interested. However, I also never was interested in gtk programming, so Xfce was simply about familiarity and ease of setup, rather than something I would want to hack on, and, of course, there were also periods over a several years I was either not often or not online at all. I still had a debian system with Xfce, and I wasn't going to change that under those circumstances at the time.

Question Re: In LEAP KDE has become really nice...

@dyfet:

Apropos development environment: have you taken a look at “KDevelop”?
    • I have to admit that, IDEs aren't to everyone's liking but, for many programming tasks they are, IMHO, difficult to ignore …

@Knurpht:

Given the usability, stability and features of KDevelop and digiKam «got the spelling right this time around … », one has to approve and, applaud, the quality of current KDE application code.

Another praiseworthy KDE application is “KDE-Connect” – leave you mobile telephone in your pocket and, use your Laptop to answer any incoming calls or messages …

So, bottom line, KDE Plasma as such, is more than useable and, given everything it's capable of, I find it difficult to use something “more simple” …
    • Unless, I chose to go out and buy Apple products (Mac and iPhone) to achieve the same amount of connectivity for somewhat more money …
    • But, then, an IDE would cost more than just a little bit …

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    @dyfet:

Apropos development environment: have you taken a look at “KDevelop”?
    • I have to admit that, IDEs aren't to everyone's liking but, for many programming tasks they are, IMHO, difficult to ignore …

@Knurpht:

Given the usability, stability and features of KDevelop and digiKam «got the spelling right this time around … », one has to approve and, applaud, the quality of current KDE application code.

Another praiseworthy KDE application is “KDE-Connect” – leave you mobile telephone in your pocket and, use your Laptop to answer any incoming calls or messages …

So, bottom line, KDE Plasma as such, is more than useable and, given everything it's capable of, I find it difficult to use something “more simple” …
    • Unless, I chose to go out and buy Apple products (Mac and iPhone) to achieve the same amount of connectivity for somewhat more money …
    • But, then, an IDE would cost more than just a little bit …
    Indeed, there are lots of nice things to consider in a modern KDE (including connect), and that was the originally intended point of my post, actually. Many years ago I had also used kdevelop some, and what I most recall was it's autocoloring of individual variables so they are easy to see in the code. However, I really have mostly used qtcreator for an ide, in part because it also has easy mobile integration and cross-compiling for Qt, but maybe kdevelop has that too?

On a modern machine, now typically with 16 gigs+ of ram, or even much less, KDE does not seem all that resource intensive to run by itself. In fact I am moving my dev machine to KDE as part of getting stuff setup here at end of year...And I do want to try out LXQt now, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dyfet View Post
    However, I really have mostly used qtcreator for an ide, in part because it also has easy mobile integration and cross-compiling for Qt, but maybe kdevelop has that too?
    Alas, no – yes, cross-compiling but, not specifically Qt. Support is there for:
    • some extra features for the Qt Framework
    • Qt QML
    • QMake
    • QtHelp documentation files (QCH)

<https://www.kdevelop.org/features>.

There's a comparison of Qt Creator versus KDevelop: <https://comparisons.financesonline.c...de-vs-kdevelop>.